Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newfield , South Jersey
Wannabe from Southern NJ

Hi!

I hope I am passing all the polite rules of new threads! I have been thinking hard on purchasing a new AS Sport 19'. We live only an hour from Colonial Airstream, so I think my son and I are going to take a drive and check them out! I have always wanted one of these awesome vehicles since I was a kid. The time has come... empty nester, single and loving it woman with two dogs wanting to get out and see our country and make some new friends!

I would love to meet others in similar situations. So far I've learned that I should buy the RV first and then the towing vehicle. My current vehicle (a Honda CRV) will not past muster. I am disappointed as I really love my car.

Anybody willing to be my "AS Mentor"???

Christine a.k.a. Mommajomma59
Mommajomma59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Christine,
Welcome aboard and it looks like you have already learned something from the forum...even with the newer lighter Safari sport, I believe your CRV would not be up to the task.

When you go to Colonial, plan on spending a lot of time going in and out of a lot of trailers. This way you will get a feel for the different layouts / floor plans and how they will "fit" you.

If you have your heart set on a new Airstream that is finr, but take a look at the classifieds on this site, and you just might find a bargain.

I am sure others will chime in, welcome you to the fold, and give you tow vehicle recommendations.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Welcome Christine! You will love an Airstream- and so will your dog! One thing to consider is that in a 19' Safari Sport probably has a wet bath. If you are going to be doing long trips- you won't want a wet bath. Also- you may find you don't want to make and unmake the bed everyday and turn it back into a dinette/ couch every morning. Go to the dealership- it's a big one- and sit in the different sizes and see what works. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newfield , South Jersey
Thanks for your reply! I will keep your comments in mind... I really think I would like the Sport SE 22', but budgetary reasons! I will also look at the classified!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newfield , South Jersey
Thanks for the advice! I will check out the classified!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommajomma59 View Post
Thanks for your reply! I will keep your comments in mind... I really think I would like the Sport SE 22', but budgetary reasons! I will also look at the classified!
Christine,
It's only money, they'll make more.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Hola Momma, I'm pretty new to AS also, I'm full timing in a 25 footer. I also have 2 dogs, about 100 pounds of dog flesh total. At times a 25 footer is way way to small! Even though the pooches learn to be really tiny, and they've learned trailer life rules, I shiver to think of them in a 19 footer on a rainy day. We all still go out, but we also track in the outside, it can get pretty small.

What do you want to do with your AS? I camp in National Forest and love it. A smaller AS would open up some off 4x4 road trails to me, but then, I live here also.

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your trip to Colonial, and if you get a 25 foot International yoiu'll make most of us jealous.

Best-jac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cliffhouse2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	65567  

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Reality check!

Congrats and welcome. I'm fulltiming in a 25 FB SE. Have been fulltiming for 3 years now.

Here's my take. Buying used can save a lot of money, but with new you get a 2 year guarantee for every nitpicky little thing you want to have tweaked or fixed. Colonial has an excellent reputation and they won't let you off the lot until you're happy with the unit you choose. If you get one or two big surprises with a gently used model, you're savings is gone.

There is used and then there is USED. Anyone who joins the forums can advertise and "buyer beware" applies. Most are going to be exactly as advertised because that's just the calibre of people this forum attracts, but you'd still better be prepared to drive 500 miles only to find out that the prior owner kept live chickens in his unit and smoked hams in it, but those two smells were just used to cover for his personal hygiene

You should also be aware that "just sitting" isn't great for an A/S either. You might find that you'll have to have the furnace and water heater serviced (it seems there are almost microscopic spiders that love the smell of propane and get in the jets.) Ditto for the furnace. Leaks happen too, and once every two years I drive mine to the Mothership and have the techs crawl up on the roof and reseal mine (I'm old and fat and can afford it a lot more than the broken ass from sliding off the side.) Then there are issues with the rubber torsion axles going bad from sitting. If it hasn't been used this year.... eh? If it's sat for six years... gonna be some maintenance issues up to and including mice living in the insulated walls. Ech!

Screw the budget (not really but it's not your only concern). I traded up from a 22 CCD to a 25 FB SE Safari, and now I lust for a 27 FB CCD. Ain't gonna get it until I've saved up the cash, but learn from me and do it right the first time.

What's Right? It's what will fit YOU like a comfortable pair of sneakers for the next 15 or 20 years. If that perfect fit is more than you want to spend, then hold a BIG yard sale, or two or three... or remind your kids how much you contributed toward their college educations and send them a BILL! I liked the wet bath because it was so easy to clean (hose down). To each her own, right?

Oh, and even consider fulltiming. I'm saving money like CRAZY. Old house, electric bill $200+, lawn mowing $100+, natural gas $30, maintenance and taxes - astronomical. If you fulltime, the kids can't move back in! You've got a great Airstream only park in NJ - so maybe that's not such an impossible dream after all. BTW, fulltiming in less than a 25 footer... not such a great idea. Having a separate bedroom area is nice.

Welcome, you're on your way to being a Rivette!

Paula
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newfield , South Jersey
Thanks for the thoughtful advice! I would need a separate trailer for all my yarn if I lived fulltime. Food for thought, though, downsizing, simplifying, etc.... maybe some day!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newfield , South Jersey
Nice pic! I guess this was taken during a recent park visit? Awesome! Not a sight you would see on the East Coast! I have two dogs that would travel, an Aussie and a mini doxie. Great Dane would have to stay home (he would need a trailer for himself!) I think I added you to my friends list... you're my first friend. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
One thing I wanted to say is that there is a large number of ladies out there who tow on their own...full-timing to weekenders and everything in between... and travel all over the country...they are every bit as independent, knowledgeable and gutsy as any man, so don't be afraid to do anything you want to do. We have run into some of these gals when we've been out camping, and I am always impressed with their sense of adventure and thier willingness to just get out there and do it! The are truly inspiring...and to be admired...so go for it! You'll have a blast!

Hope to see you down the road...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote