Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Very Excited new Eddie Bauer Airstreamer Here :)

Hey all - been chomping at the bit to get on the forums and talk about my new baby.

Just finished the maiden voyage to escape the TX heat, and a short solo trip to see if a 5'2 feisty Irish gal could hitch and setup and tow alone. Once I got the running start and made it up into the F250 Crew Cab, the rest was easy

I'm sure you could use a good newbie laugh or two - so here's the blog I just started.
http://retro-gurl.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hi, would ya? Really looking forward to finding some Airstream buddies!
Thanks! Pinky

Please spay and neuter your pets. And ADOPT, don't buy a critter. They are counting on us to do the right thing.
Pinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Headed there right now, Pinky, and welcome!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
welcome to the forums!! You will make all kinds of friends here. Be sure and come to the get together in central texas. there is a thread on here somewhere.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Hey Bruce: Looking at the TX calendar of events now

Looks like we have Airstreams and Pyrs in common. I have a 7 yr old male I rescued a few years back. He is a big old hard-headed baby. Yours is gorgeous!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Pinky

Welcome to the Airstream family. Looks like you are having lots of fun learning all about your Airstream. Congratulations on hooking up and unhooking all by your self.

My youngest son lives in Fortworth. Glad the heat finally broke for you all.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Hi Pinky!

We're picking up our 2012 EB on Thursday! It looks like (from the photos on your blog) that you've added an extra air conditioner. Did the single unit just not cut it? Is there anything else that you've felt like you needed to modify right away?
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Hey Dan - thanks for the encouragement!

And yay for the Oregon crew and the new EB! I love mine to pieces. It's actually just the one a/c - but the dealer installed 2 toppers on the fantastic fans since I will be traveling with my dogs and want rain protection AND to leave the vents open full time in the TX heat, if needed.

Haven't added anything else to it really - just some stylistic stuff inside to organize and make it mine. I'll try to get some pictures of the details and post them for you. Holler if you have any questions on the EB. The learning curve for me has been swift, but I think I have the basics down.

Good luck to you and have fun!!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
One more thought - mine did NOT come with the convection oven/micro combo. And part of me wishes it had. (Until I boondock and then I'll be happy for the LP stove)

DID get the dimmers and the blue ray - and they are both pretty great for ambiance. Dim the lights, open wine, turn on the surround sound and open the back "porch" and listen to the crickets or the rain - that's pretty darn awesome, for sure.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Hello Pinky! Congrats to you on your new EB! We are one month into our new international and loving every bit of it, it's perfect for us and we share in your joy of having a new AS.

Many safe travels and happy camping to you!
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
I love the Internationals too - good for you guys! Have you joined up with any of the TX groups for rallies or campouts yet? I'm starting to look around and do just that.

Thinking about upgrading to the propride - how's it working out for you? Is it difficult to hitch the stinger to the trailer?

Please spay and neuter your pets. And ADOPT, don't buy a critter. They are counting on us to do the right thing.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky65 View Post
Dim the lights, open wine, turn on the surround sound and open the back "porch" and listen to the crickets or the rain - that's pretty darn awesome, for sure.
Wait, you have rain???? What does it sound like?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #12

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Hahaha - it's a vague memory, for sure. Sounds something like a cow peeing on a flat rock, but softer - if memory serves. Had to go up to Taos NM to find some rain and a chance to sleep with the windows open - and not sweat to death in our sleep. How bad is it down in Corpus?

(And what is the AIR number in your signature - something I should join?)

Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
You joined the Airforums in June 2010 and your number is 47396. Happy streaming!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
:-) makes sense now

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky65 View Post
One more thought - mine did NOT come with the convection oven/micro combo. And part of me wishes it had. (Until I boondock and then I'll be happy for the LP stove)

DID get the dimmers and the blue ray - and they are both pretty great for ambiance. Dim the lights, open wine, turn on the surround sound and open the back "porch" and listen to the crickets or the rain - that's pretty darn awesome, for sure.
Ours has the over also. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do about adding a microwave. We have a couple of little kids and heating milk for bottles is crucial. I'm thinking a small microwave that I can stick on the counter or something.

Our first trip is planned for the 24th. I'm just itching to go.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #16

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
I dug around and found a great lower wattage compact microwave called an iwave cube - should be her soon. Google it and see if it works for your needs. Have fun!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North West PA , Pennsylvania
Wow Pinky65!!!! your new adventure sounds great and it is SO inspiring because I too am planning to purchase a new AS in the 23-25 foot range and I too was a bit leery of being able to set up, tow, back and break it down by myself!!! Every time I read a story about a single woman who CAN do it I know I can too....!!!

Good luck and your blog is fantastic and I will surely follow it! Love the part about the gifts for camping...I've been riding Harleys for 30 years and it took FORVER for my non-riding family members to finallly "get" that ALL I wanted was stuff for that hobby-forget all the other happy crappy that people give as gifts!

But at least after years of riding they know I'm SERIOUS about this new hobby and don't try too much to dissuade me!!!

I am almost 56, 5'10", strong and relatively healthy, and about to retire after 33 years with my Company and I AM GOING TO DO IT(buy and AS that is!!!) !!!!! I figure if I don't like it I can always sell..but I WILL DO IT and all my naysayer friends who tell me I'm crazy 'cause I'm single and it'll be "too much"...they can stay home and watch TV!!! I will be on the road somewhere!!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!! Keep on posting I can learn a lot from you!
Laurie Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #18

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Count View Post
Wow Pinky65!!!! your new adventure sounds great and it is SO inspiring because I too am planning to purchase a new AS in the 23-25 foot range and I too was a bit leery of being able to set up, tow, back and break it down by myself!!! Every time I read a story about a single woman who CAN do it I know I can too....!!!

Good luck and your blog is fantastic and I will surely follow it! Love the part about the gifts for camping...I've been riding Harleys for 30 years and it took FORVER for my non-riding family members to finallly "get" that ALL I wanted was stuff for that hobby-forget all the other happy crappy that people give as gifts!

But at least after years of riding they know I'm SERIOUS about this new hobby and don't try too much to dissuade me!!!

I am almost 56, 5'10", strong and relatively healthy, and about to retire after 33 years with my Company and I AM GOING TO DO IT(buy and AS that is!!!) !!!!! I figure if I don't like it I can always sell..but I WILL DO IT and all my naysayer friends who tell me I'm crazy 'cause I'm single and it'll be "too much"...they can stay home and watch TV!!! I will be on the road somewhere!!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!! Keep on posting I can learn a lot from you!
Laurie - you go DO IT! I can say it is the thing I may be the most proud of. Researching the trailer, the tow vehicle, the electronics needed to help me do things solo, the places I want to go, the good I want to do. And once you FINALLY stop thinking and worrying and questioning, and YOU DO IT - you will be amazed at how confident you feel. I am 46, not in great health due to super amounts of stress (which I am hoping the Airstream will help me turn around), and I believe in not waiting for later - make it happen now. Solo or not.

I still have to figure out the backing up - but that will come this week. Gonna take my 3 foot traffic cones and my walkie talkies and a buddy of mine and we are gonna find a big old parking lot and figure it out. That, and some refreshers on my handyman skills, and I am good to go. And there are LOTS of single women out there doing this. I will try to blog about them as I find them, so you can learn about them too.

Don't hesitate to holler at me if you need any info or support! And good for you on the Harley! I have a Vespa ET4 150 cc and I love rolling around and smelling where I am going - whole different way to see the world, huh?

Take care - Pinky

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Pinky,

Here is the thread for the get together the end of the month. Hope you can make it.
TX Hill Country get together ?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #20

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Ours has the over also. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do about adding a microwave. We have a couple of little kids and heating milk for bottles is crucial. I'm thinking a small microwave that I can stick on the counter or something.

Our first trip is planned for the 24th. I'm just itching to go.
Here's the link to the world's cutest microwave: http://www.theiwavecube.com/