Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
Penrith , UK
UK shipping

Hi everyone.
I've wanted an airstream for years and it looks like I have just sealed the deal on a 1969 overlander, my problem is that I've placed a deposit and now have the task of collecting it from the west coast and getting it to the east coast for shipping to the UK, I am currently searching and calling several different shipping companies as well as trying to figure out US towing legislation, weight of trailer, height and width, if anybody out there who happens to read this and is in any way in the know I would greatly appreciate a bit of advice. many thanks
Random Steve
sin sucra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Whilst not a great help to you I thought I'd mention that whilst importing some cars from the UK to Canada I noticed that I had the option of routing the container to Vancouver which might be easier for you being west coast. Second thought; the transport agent I went with, MJS, Helicopter Shipping & Vehicle Transport from MJS, Martin deals with exotic cars, helicopters etc and may be able to help you out. I have seen Airstreams shipped in the oversize sea cans so maybe that would work for you as once it's in the "can" transporting it is a bit more of a known quantity.

I notice your in Penrith which reminded me of one of my favourite movies, "Withnail and I". Hope your trailer has a safe journey.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A 69 Overlander is not going into a container...
You first need a shipper. They can quote you a price on shipping it from East Coast or West Coast. To get it from the West to the East overland will cost you around $2500- $3500 so it might be cheaper to roll it onto the boat out there. I know a very good shipping agent. If you PM me, I will be glad to pass on his info to you
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #4

1969 27' Overlander
Penrith , UK
Hi Frank.
Thanks for the quick response, I was thinking of buying a truck in San Fran and making this a road trip across mid America to Either Texas port or Charleston, heck of a distance I know and the more I speak to people the more it becomes apparent what a mammoth journey this is and how much much its going to cost me in gas, so yes any help you can give me recommending a reputable company from the west coast would be great.
Many thanks.
Steve
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #5

1969 27' Overlander
Penrith , UK
It seems to be the common belief that the overlander is too wide and to high to get into a container but if the company you recommended ship Helicopters then surely they would have something bigger than standard trailer sizes. I will give them a call, Thanks.
The film withnail and I was filmed in southern England miles away from us poor folk in the North, I just googled the Penrith tearooms scene as I've actually never seen the film and it looked amusing so thanks for the film recommendation too .
Steve