Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
HOuston , Texas
Ughhhh!!!

Yes, I'm the newbie...and will bore ya to madness with questions, but that's why I'm here...I picked up this '70 Soverign back in 09 from albany, ga., and am still needin' new tanks, appliances, gas cylinders, so, right now, it's just a money pit that will have to take a back seat to get started with the recovery...but, with all the cabinets, doors, and pantry doors out of it, they'll be the first to get the make-over...I'm 60 years of age, and hope to have it occupyable in the next year or so...crazy try and start this restoration at my age, but I gotta start sometime, and I'm sure it'll be fun....FOSSILSEEKER
fossilseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forum. Starting a restoration doesn't seem at all crazy - you should fit right in here

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
HOuston , Texas
Ughhhhhh!!!

Thanks, Janet...give me some time to figure out how to use the forum, that way, my mistakes will not bore ya to death!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
You know, you don't have to totally complete it to use it, for lack of funds/time/energy. Get it to the point you can enjoy it, and start using it. We did that and it helped to prioritize the work. We used ours when the only working system was the electrical, no water, gas, bathroom, but we had nice beds. Ours is still rough but we love it.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Globie gave you good advice! Have fun and welcome aboard!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
You're so correct about starting sometime. I think saying that your only 60 is a better way to approach this.

I taught motorcycle safety out West for several years. In one class we had an 85 year old gentleman. When asked what his motivation for taking the class was, he replied that it looked like fun and that he finally found the time to try it.

You're never too old, and we're really glad to have you with us.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
This got me to thinking. I'm 57 years old and I have 137 years of projects to do right now.
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
And yes, Welcome!

One other thought, sort of along the lines of how do any of us want to be spending our time, at whatever age... do the stuff you can do yourself, it sounds like wood finishing, but have other stuff, for example sorting out the gas system or electrical done by someone else. It's not that expensive considering the time and aggravation you've saved, and it's SO NICE to have something get fixed that you didn't have to do yourself. I did tons of work to ours, semi-shell off new floor, tanks, resetting windows, new floor, new water tank/pump and on and on. I drew the line at doing the axle myself...if you can afford to, paying a little more to have someone do one or two little projects for you is an investment in happiness. Do the things that you will enjoy doing, and by all means get out there and use it.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
HOuston , Texas
lost

Yeah, doin' the things that I can will be fun, but things like replacin' the tanks in the floor, or replumbin' the bathroom, or replacin' the water heater, just to name a few things that need my attention will be the challenge. The manuals I have don't cover those repairs, and I'll just have to stay the course, and get advice from some of you folks who may have already experienced the nightmares. I appreciate the vote of confidence, and will post pix as the project moves forward...backward, whichever is the case. Thanks again, and "Onward Thru The Fog".
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The fog will dissipate and it'll all be come a lot easier. It's great to have the forum for all kinds of help, probably extra hands if you need it too. The manuals are good for some stuff, but it's more like a house than a car with plumbing and stuff being made up to fit what you have and what you want to do with it. And yeah, please post pics!