Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
Indian River , Michigan
True colors

Hi,
I just acquired a 1964 Globetrotter, which looks to be very close to original. While my husband is very handy and is getting all appliances working smoothly, etc.. I am trying to focus more on the interior and more on replacing upholstery, curtains, flooring, etc. I am thinking that I would like to "redecorate" using a color scheme that uses all the original colors from what would have been in there when new, but I am having trouble finding any sites that show pictures or orginal floor cover, upholstery, curtains, etc. I am looking for information to web sites that may have that information.
Thanks,
Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi Susan - welcome to the forums. You will find photos here. Use the search tool in the upper right hand corner as a start. Many members have posted photos of their trailers - both before and after rehab. Happy surfing!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase. I would want to help you with your question but I lived through the 60's and don't remember a thing.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Been there..... done that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase. I would want to help you with your question but I lived through the 60's and don't remember a thing.
So you weren't always a Chaplain, eh?

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
I am thinking that I would like to "redecorate" using a color scheme that uses all the original colors from what would have been in there when new, but I am having trouble finding any sites that show pictures or orginal floor cover, upholstery, curtains, etc. Susan
Are you looking for original to Airstream, true to Airstream, or decorating in general in a 1964 style?
True to original may be more difficult to ascertain, using the same colors, materials, etc.
RV styles tend to change more slowly than home styles.
If you are happy using period color schemes or styles, not true original to AS, research period books, and magazines (look at the ads!) Keep in mind, RV usage of style and color tend to lag 2 to as much as 6 years!
I would use modern materials and settle on a color palette from between 1958 and 1964 that you are comfortable with and lay it out main color then mix in the accent colors. See if you can proportion the same as usage of the era. The proportion and placement of color has a lot to do with accomplishing a specific period feel.
Many of us remember avocado and harvest gold! But I also remember a lot of brown or tan accented with turquoise and orange, along with black! Large scale stripes and plaids were a given. Sigh.
The most important thing is to have fun doing it!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
Hi,
I just acquired a 1964 Globetrotter, which looks to be very close to original. While my husband is very handy and is getting all appliances working smoothly, etc.. I am trying to focus more on the interior and more on replacing upholstery, curtains, flooring, etc. I am thinking that I would like to "redecorate" using a color scheme that uses all the original colors from what would have been in there when new, but I am having trouble finding any sites that show pictures or orginal floor cover, upholstery, curtains, etc. I am looking for information to web sites that may have that information.
Thanks,
Susan
Susan,

Here is a link for you to start. You might look at other trailers on this site for reference as to colors etc.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...GT5/index.html

Basically, many of the trailers of that era ( 1964) had 9x9 linoleum tiles in funky speckled colors, some more subtle than others. This can be re-created with modern materials by cutting 12x12 floor tiles to the original size. Some had shag carpeting, but it alway sseems to me that that was added by the owners after the fact??
The colors back then were often reminiscent of vegetables that were rudely overcooked. All shades of avocado green, lighter greens, pale shades of yellow, and many checkered patterns in the family of blues.
Much of the wood was stained plywood, and the bath fixtures were often an off white, or turquoise colored molded fiberglass.
This probably just only touches the many options, as I only know the trailers that I have seen personally.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hey Susan - welcome to Airstreamforums.com! I just noticed that this was your first post.