Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

1978 Argosy 30
Fillmore , California
Too Much to bite off? 30' Argosy

Hello All,

We have recently become the owners of what was sold to us as a 1977 30' Argosy. As part of the registration process, it would appear that it is actually a 1978 Argosy.

There is going to be a steep learning curve as she has already been gutted down to the walls. So any reference I have to her interior or how things are routed are going to either end up being from tracing what is left between the inner and outer shell or online resources.

Utilizing her as an enclosed trailer for a cross country move, and she towes very nicely with just the 2 15/16" ball.
SellehBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. You purchased a nifty cargo trailer. Just kidding.

It will be fun to research your old Argosy and find out how it was built. Many times the date of manufacturer stamped on the tag is a year earlier than the model year. My 86 Limited was built in the fall of 85. This might be a cause of confusion.

Here is the Airstream.com archive webpage on the Argosy line of 78. But I didn't see the floor plan for the 30 foot model. But do not the rear bath layout was the same for all models. Many times the extra length is more room up front for sitting and the like.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...325f7372d6.pdf

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

1978 Argosy 30
Fillmore , California
Thanks for that image.

We almost missed out on the trailer. They were asking $8,200 for it, we went and looked at it and told them we would get back to them about it. Got back with an offer of $6,000. and they said that it was worth more than that to them that they wanted $7,500 for it or $7,000 if we sent them pictures of it when it was redone. A few days later we offered $6,500 and they could keep the IKEA cabinets and resell them to help make up for the difference in the price they wanted for it, they said that another couple was on there way to pick it up at the full asking price. The next day they said the other couple backed down because the trailer was too big for them and that we could have it for $6,500 with the cabinets.

When we looked at it the first time Scott fell in love with the panoramic windows in the front of the trailer, including the two normal windows on the street side, and we thought that we were going to miss out on another one like this. Right now we have direct wired the trailer brakes to a 7 pin connector and have magnetic trailer lights also hooked up to it since the 12v distribution center has been cut out.

We are excited about the possibilities through.
SellehBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In the interest of safety, if the trailer does not have a working 12 volt battery AND functional breakaway switch to lock the braks if it gets away from you, have a look at this package on Amazon...cheap insurance if the AS does not have one.

Tekonsha 50-85-325 Shur-Set III Breakaway System with LED Test Meter, Battery, Switch and Charger
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote