Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
This Is Our Fifth One!

...and we finally joined the club! As owners of a campground, we see many RV's come and go and nothing compares to the style and workmanship of an Airstream. The camaraderie among Airstream owners makes having one a great hobby. Please contact us if you'd like to visit our park, Starlite Trailer Lodge, located just south of Blowing Rock, NC. Starlite Trailer Lodge. We would love to share our space in the great outdoors and get to know other "airstreamers" in our area.
ClayandPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the forums. Your campground sounds very nice, and relaxing. The website did not have any photos of the campground. Are you going to add them later?

Did your 34' come with the graphics. I think they really enhance the looks, but I'm probably in the minority since they don't offer them any longer.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Tom

Thank you for the welcome. We have always wanted a wide body and found this 96 recently online. It was actually owned by another WBCCI member that decided to go with a 34 with a s/o. As far as the graphics, I believe that you are referring to what I call the "squiggly's" in two tone blue on the side near the rear. Our unit does not have that. Was it an option? We are in the process of cleaning and upgrading it a bit. We just had hardwood floors installed and ordered new drapes. We also have plans with P&S Trailer Service in Ohio to have the skin reconditioned. I am installing new shocks this coming weekend. You know how it is...we have to tweak it out the way we want it. I noticed that you have an Excursion! We had an 01 2x2 w/ V10 and sold it about three years ago. Aside from using mucho fuel, we loved the car and would have another one in a heart beat.

This is an awesome forum and wish we would have joined it long ago..It is a wealth of information and genuinely nice people.

Thanks again,

Perry
Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayandPerry
Tom

Thank you for the welcome. We have always wanted a wide body and found this 96 recently online. It was actually owned by another WBCCI member that decided to go with a 34 with a s/o. As far as the graphics, I believe that you are referring to what I call the "squiggly's" in two tone blue on the side near the rear. Our unit does not have that. Was it an option? We are in the process of cleaning and upgrading it a bit. We just had hardwood floors installed and ordered new drapes. We also have plans with P&S Trailer Service in Ohio to have the skin reconditioned. I am installing new shocks this coming weekend. You know how it is...we have to tweak it out the way we want it. I noticed that you have an Excursion! We had an 01 2x2 w/ V10 and sold it about three years ago. Aside from using mucho fuel, we loved the car and would have another one in a heart beat.
Perry
Hi Perry,

The graphics I was referring to were/are red & gray, and resemble the graphics you see on a lot of motor homes. They were offered in the mid nineties, but they may have only been offered on the limited editions. Every trailer has to reflect its owner's personality, and it sounds as if yours is on the way to a great new look.

I bought my Excursion used about 1.5 years ago. It took a long time for me to find one because I was looking for a diesel 4x4. Everyone was selling their gassers for a very good reason. I got mine with only 15k miles on it, and I love it. Even with the high cost of diesel I think that it still comes out better than a gasser. I'll get 13-14 mpg towing, 16-17 mpg around town, and 21-22 mpg on the highway sans tow. My towing mileage is a good 50% better than those with gas. I'd do the math to see if I'm still ahead of the gassers costs, but too much work for something that really doesn't matter.

Enjoy your airstream.

___________Tom

Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome to the Forums, and we'll be sure to join you in Blowing Rock - great area!

We've been through two Excursions and two 34's, so we have a few things in common. I still say the X was one of the best vehicles ever made - truly a great machine. And the 34 wasn't so shabby either. We had a 1999 and a 2005 (with slideout) before going smaller - I know, you don't hear that much. Enjoy - hopefully we'll see you in NC during 2008 - or join one of our rallies!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
PS: Nice pics on your website!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, Clay and Perry...glad you decided to join up. Your website is nicely done and your RV park looks very inviting... You're going to be glad you joined the Forums...lots of good folks with a wealth of knowledge and experience to willing share... It's really quite amazing. We've learned so much from these folks...

Look forward to hearing from you often...and maybe we'll see you down the road...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Brad,
Thanks for the feedback on the web site. We hope to upgrade the web site in 2008 with more recent photos and shots of our campers and friends.
We are coming up on our 10th year in May...and what a journey it is.

Do you like your new Airstream as much as the other ones you have owned?
Perry
Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
graphics

Tom,

OK...I know what you are talking about.... I think the red and gray may be for the limited but not 100% positive. Ours has the basic light blue/darker blue classic stripes that I see on at least the 95 and 96 models. I am sure there is an expert on here that could give us the "low down" on the graphics. We are planning to take the Airstream to P&S Trailer service in Ohio sometime in eary 08 for a complete skin reconditioning and the graphics will be replaced with new.

It sounds like your Excursion gets very good mileage, I'm impressed. Do you have a power chip in it? As I said our V-10 was pretty much a guzzler, but boy was it cushy...

Thanks again for the note, and have a peaceful holiday..
Perry
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
travel log

Greg and TB,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum.. I breifly visited your travel log and WOW....very impressive collection and very well put together. One or both of you must be computer gurus to have put such a cool "log" together.

Hope you and your family have a great Holiday..

Perry

PS.. I like the side window awning on the Bambi...very sharp.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
...and we finally joined the club! As owners of a campground, we see many RV's come and go and nothing compares to the style and workmanship of an Airstream. The camaraderie among Airstream owners makes having one a great hobby. Please contact us if you'd like to visit our park, Starlite Trailer Lodge, located just south of Blowing Rock, NC. Starlite Trailer Lodge. We would love to share our space in the great outdoors and get to know other "airstreamers" in our area.
What a great sounding campground. I would love to see more pics.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Greg and TB,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum.. I breifly visited your travel log and WOW....very impressive collection and very well put together. One or both of you must be computer gurus to have put such a cool "log" together.

Hope you and your family have a great Holiday..

Perry

PS.. I like the side window awning on the Bambi...very sharp.
Hey Perry...

Thanks for your words about our travel log...it's fun to share our adventures with folks, and it's a great way to have a record of our travels... Glad you enoyed it...we update it regularly with each trip, so stay tuned! I keep thinking some day I'll go back to trips in our small SOB motorhome (before we got the Bambi) but I haven't gotten around to that yet...I need to do that before I forget everything!

We really like the street side and rear awning package...we had it added because we do so much camping in the SWest and sometimes shade is scarce...our dealer calls them "portable trees"...thought that was funny...

Loooking forward to more pics of your park!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Brad,
Thanks for the feedback on the web site. We hope to upgrade the web site in 2008 with more recent photos and shots of our campers and friends.
We are coming up on our 10th year in May...and what a journey it is.

Do you like your new Airstream as much as the other ones you have owned?
Perry
So the question was how do we like our new and smaller AS. My wife loves it because it is easy to clean. I love it because it is freaking gorgeous (1st 2 pics).

PS I also added a picture of our '99 - I think these are the graphics someone was referring to, for whatever that is worth. It is a Classic, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4914 (Small).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	50750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4912 (Small).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	50751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2490 (Small).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	50752  

Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Brad,
Freakin gorgeous is right.....That is the very floorplan we were droolin over at the Charlotte RV show.
I don't know how you ever gave up that beautiful 99 though..

Yeah, your former 99 has the graphics that I attempted to describe. Our 96 Excella does not, and has your basic Airstream color package. So , did you get rid of the Excursion as well? Sure is a nice lookin package..
Perry
Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, Brad's '99 has the graphics that I've wanted. It's a shame they don't offer them any longer.

Perry, no I don't use a chip in the Excursion. A diesel engine gets better mileage than gassers. It takes a while for it to break in, though. Right at 35k miles the mileage began to show some improvement, and I'm just over 50k miles now. If the 6.0 liter is like my former 7.3 liter, it should get a little better over the next 15k and that should just about do it.

Back when fuel prices were reasonable, not all that long ago, the difference in mpg between a gasser and a diesel would justify the additional cost of the diesel. Not any longer with diesel running anywhere from 3.35 here in Central Texas to almost 4.00 in less fortunate areas.

________Tom

Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
That sounds like very good mileage for the Excursion.. We have an 03 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 with 109,000 miles and get very decent mileage for the size of the truck. Athough, it's still OUCH at the pumps ...I think it will get worse though...Thankfully it's all paid for...and just hope we can continue to go camping. It's probably my favorite form of relaxation...
perry