Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
The Search for my grandparents' 1970 Airstream Safari

Hello everyone, my name is Chris Doll and I recently began searching for my grandparents' Airstream - a 1970 Airstream Safari Double, single-axle, bath in the back, sofabed in front (no dinette). They loved that Airstream, it was their retirement dream when they bought it brand-new at a dealership in Saline, Michigan just south of Ann Arbor. I remember it well, having joined them on many campouts at a very young age.

The entire story, with photos, is posted on my blog.

I have already received great assistance from some of the Airstream historians on these boards, and for that I am very appreciative.

The only other information I have to go on, aside from the photos posted on my blog, are the membership numbers 24715. And since their number was not re-assigned, I've successfully joined the WBCC as number 24175. This thrills me to no end, but the search continues. I am awaiting the results of a records search in the State of Michigan. My hope is that they will provide information as to who bought their trailer, and perhaps do a trace. It could be anywhere now, although I'm focusing my search in the Great Lakes region. I would like to find this Safari, of course, if only to know what happened to it. After reading about all of the wonderful vintage Airstreams out there, I will definitely have to get one of my own.

Thank you all for reading my story.
Christopher Doll
BlackBirdCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Chris, the wonderful thing about this community is that they are so willing to help. Somewhere on this vast site is a WBCCI registry. Check it out first. I'll bet someone will know where that old beauty is! P.S. I am writing this while sitting in my 72 Overlander
Dave - from the Alumacave Please keep posting as you work your way to success
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Thank you mccrosti! 66overlander has already done a record search on WBCC membership and found that these numbers were only assigned to my Grandfather, Maurice Doll, and have been available since about 1980 when he sold the Airstream.

This forum has been an amazing resource and I look forward to sharing my progress as things proceed.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Update - Good news / Bad News

It's been a while since I've checked back in to the forums here so I wanted to leave a little update.

I am still searching for this particular 1970 Airstream Safari, although several have turned up that were VERY close to the one my grandparents owned. So if you have a 1970 Airstream Safari, or know of one, I'd be thrilled to hear from you.

There is good news however! I've since joined the WBCCC, and was granted my own choice of membership numbers - 24175, the same that my Grandparents used and that show up in my vintage photos on my blog post.

To me, this is a very special win in my search. I will continue to look for this Airstream, and would again like to thank everyone here who has helped me out so far this last year. Cheers!

Christopher Doll
My search for a 1970 Airstream Safari | Christopher Doll
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Way to go, Christopher!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
To bad you do not know the VIN number that would help.
COWGIRLS ARE LIKE BARBED WIRE,HANDLE WITH CARE.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Thank you!

And yes I'm still trying to find the VIN#. I've been hitting up the Michigan Licensing Archives but so far they haven't found any listing as yet. There are still some materials in storage that might provide a hint and I'm hoping to get to those soon too.

In the meantime, the search continues!