Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Claydog

1973 31' Sovereign
Gold Bar , Washington
Thumbs up The Accidental Airstreamer

I've been living in a 25' non-Airstream trailer for the last couple of years, parked next to my pottery studio, and on October 1st my local mechanic asked if I wanted to buy his '73 Sovereign that he & his wife had been living in for the last 4 years, only wanted a thousand dollars.
I know diddly-squat about trailers, but Airstream meant quality to me so I basically said yes, sight-unseen. It's in OK shape, not great, but most things work, at least for stationary use, I mean he towed it here from 15 miles away, on the highway, without mishap. It's parked next to my 1968 "Golden Falcon", my own little trailer park.
The main issue now is that the PO's were heavy smokers, so of course I've been perusing the Interior and Cleaning threads pretty exhaustively. It's already way better smelling now that all fabric and foam and the couch are gone to the dump, (yes, I saved the little plastic curtain sliders, in case they're irreplaceable) but I'm going to also clean, scuff, prime, and paint all reasonable surfaces. I'm gradually coming to terms with the orange counter-top.
For those restoration folks, I'll be giving away various small accessories, including the way cool but dust-catching wire paper towel holder, and the "instrument panel" above the tape-player, etc. Look for these & other items in the classifieds soon.
I do a lot of "rescue" work of senior dogs, (currently caring for 10) so they'll have the run of the old trailer (our current abode), when I'm not home, then allowed in the Airstream, under supervision, in the evenings!
Thanks to those of you who created and support the forum; it's a treasure-trove of info & support.
Pat
pcolyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Good luck with your new adventure!

No worries in regards to getting replacement curtain tabs. They are sold by both Airstream and VintageTrailerSupply.com.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forum. Almost all parts are still available. The orange color is considered fashion forward by some....

Honest.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome and bless you for your work with the elderly dogs. I work in a child abuse program for the State and in my travels have "acquired" 4 cats and 8 dogs, EXTRA. All have been placed in wonderful loving homes "mostly mine". Have fun with your project. Sometimes we hardly have time for work for playing in our Airstreams. Be careful, getting one Airstream often leads to getting more.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Yo Claydog-welcome to the art of "aluminum living" forums!-Do you sell your wares at artfairs or are you teaching alot? What kind of pottery do you make? Although I dont live in my 71 safari, I am an oldtime functional potter as well and used to teach the wheel at the local center for the arts-good luck to ya---jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Claydog

1973 31' Sovereign
Gold Bar , Washington
Still potting, love teaching

I still love making pots, enjoy making dishes for people to use, get great enjoyment when folks tell me they use my mug or bowl every day, that it's their favorite. I just don't do those killer outdoor fairs where you sit in the rain or 90 degree heat with no sales, thinking about bills not getting paid.
There's a potter who has his Airstream set up as a gallery, takes it to fairs and conventions, SO cute!
Teaching throwing is pretty rewarding, getting students past the shock of how difficult it is, when it looks so EASY....
Free lessons to any Airstream owners in the area!
pcolyar is offline   Reply With Quote