Just got back from my trip down to SC to "meet" our new to us trailer. It is a '92 Excella 29' that has been in storage there for the past 10 years. I traveled the 300 miles to put on new tires and schedule it to go into the local shop for a complete repacking of the wheel bearings and service the brakes. We will go back down in two weeks to pick it up and bring it home.
The trailer has seen some hard time sitting in the sun at Myrtle Beach over the past few years. Fortunately the curtains were securely shut. The interior is in pretty good shape. The curtains however are ROTTEN. I did not try to open them as I was afraid they would fall apart. I will get it home where I can protect it a bit and then tackle that.
I had heard the floor in the back bedroom was a bit soft, an sure enough it is.. Very soft. Looks like it was leaking in one of the access doors on the back left corner, and perhaps in the traditional seal at the back bumper. I know there will be lots of help here on the forum, about how to go about a partial floor replacement.
I was so thankful that I had read the detailed posts about where the jack points on an AS are located. I was able to find the nice diamond points with the lable - Jack here- just as it was reported to be. I was able to safely raise it and have 4 new tires securely in place.
The stove works great, and the water heater fired fine, though it seemed to shut down after about 2 min and turned off the pilot as well. I will check on that when I get home as well. The fridge worked on both Elec, and Gas. although it did not ever get down to full cooling temp. someone suggested that I may need to burp it, or be sure it is absolutely level and try again. At least is fired, I hope that is a good sign.
I did not test the heat but the AC worked very well. I did have to do a small patch on the drip pan where a small crack had developed. That fix was much easier than expected. All the plumbing and tank indicators seem to work as well. I filled both gray and black to the full indicators just to see that they worked. I did not fill the fresh tank, ran out of time, but the city hook up worked great.
Almost miraculously when I hooked up the brake lights to the TV. they all worked the first time. This trailer has not been towed in almost 10 years and the lights all worked. I know I have probably jinxed it for when I pick it up.
I do have one small problem that I am hoping to get some help from the forum on. It seems a branch (or meteor) landed on the roof and made I nice size hole. I would consider putting a skylight in as it is just above the potty, but I think that may not be the best idea. How do you go about making a permanent repair for this. Yes I did use several layers of aluminum foil tape for the next two weeks until I can read more. If you have suggestions I sure would love to hear them.
It is going to be a great adventure with our new AS. Thanks again for all the support being passed around here on the forum I am definitely learning a lot.
So my member name Chillpoints, my wife says I am a workaholic. I have a hard time just sitting and relaxing, earning as she calls them "Chillpoints" I think this may be the perfect trailer for me. lots of little projects to keep me busy...