Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
According to Ford's own media posting, the scales can measure the payload and hitch weight currently present on/in the truck, and alert you if you go over the limits.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...simplify-.html
NMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMathews View Post
According to Ford's own media posting, the scales can measure the payload and hitch weight currently present on/in the truck, and alert you if you go over the limits.

Hi

The key phrase in that linked media is "estimates the weight".

Based on posts by folks who have used this feature, it has some very real limitations. Use the CAT scale.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I'll be very interested to hear how well it works!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats and enjoy !
Old 09-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #25

2015 30' Classic
Prosper , Texas
As others have implied or stated - your choice of F-150 is not ideal for your AS. We have a 2017 F-150 Ecoboost with maximum tow package we bought to tow a 2018 FC26U. We sold that AS and recently acquired a 2015 Classic 30 - we ordered a F-250 Superduty big engine (gas) because it is not safe to tow the Classic with our F-150. Plus, even with the smaller FC26U, we were always weight limited - I couldn’t even bring my lightweight bike when we brought the generator - maybe you will have a different experience - good luck.
Hipster GiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Calumet City , Illinois
Clear Coat

Skip the dealer clear goat. It’s a scam!
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
Quote:

Congratulations on your new Airstream! I respect all the research you did on your truck, as we did same. Am I right you have gas engine with eco boost? We chose diesel on a GMC 2500, which we learned really adds to weight of tow vehicle and reducing some cargo capacity. While GMC posted all the specs online, in reality, you look at the sticker and GCWR was about 600 pounds less than average specs. We tow a 33 foot Airstream Classic (10,000 pounds with hitch weight about 1200~) plus camper topper (582 pounds) and add my husband and I, plus 2 cats and our cargo puts us at max capacity for our tow vehicle. Needless to say, we've done a little downsizing. On the plus side, the 2500 tows our AS without issue, up and down hills. We're very protective of our truck's axles and keeping the weight within that rating. We considered swapping for 3500 but turns out our axles are nearly same as 3500, and it was recommended we add extra leaf spring. Our tires are able to support more weight than standard stock, so with leaf spring mod, that should help. Sorry if this is taking too long to get to my point: consider F250--better to have flexibility if you want to bring bikes, kayaks, other cargo. You've got growing kids. You may want to have the extra capacity. The 30ft Globetrotter has nice kitchen you'll stock with appliances... It all adds up.
BTW --we Love the CAT scales! Keeps us informed and safe on the road. Big Truck Big RV on YouTube gave great presentation on towing and weight capacity you may want to check out. And, I think LOLOHO did recent video on ceramic coating, which we are considering as well. Not sure.
Safe travels!
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Getting back to the original question:

Re: "I recently posted a question in the exterior restoration forum about an RV clearcoat our dealer recommended to us, and was wondering if it was necessary for our new AS coming in Dec. It may be the wrong forum for that, sorry if it was. "

We were offered the same thing and declined - those add-ons are a big profit margin for dealers. Our 2012 looks just fine with regular washing and waxing.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
Hubbard , Oregon
Quote:
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 4WD with the max tow package is our soon-to-be TV.

I would also re-think that decision. We had a 2018 flying cloud 30 RBQ. Our max payload F150 with the eco boost had the power but when I was on country roads I could feel the trailer pushing the truck around, going around semis of the freeway was a two handed job. We switched to and F250 with the 6.2 gas and what a difference. The truck controlled the trailer and the push while passing the semi’s was gone.

We switched to a 30 Classic and got a Diesel but I would really shy away from an F150 for the 30 and four peoples worth of camping gear.
TKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:35 AM   #30

California , Alaska
Hello all! New to the forum and my wife and I are looking for our first Airstream. Working to get smart on all relevant topics. Appreciate all the comments on tow vehicles. Using the F150 configured per this thread as an example, what is the max size AS trailer that such a half ton could competently handle? 23', '25,' 27/28', larger???
pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuckley View Post
Hello all! New to the forum and my wife and I are looking for our first Airstream. Working to get smart on all relevant topics. Appreciate all the comments on tow vehicles. Using the F150 configured per this thread as an example, what is the max size AS trailer that such a half ton could competently handle? 23', '25,' 27/28', larger???
Hi

What options are on the F150?

What does the sticker on the door post say the payload is?

How much do the passengers ( people and dogs and ...) weight?

Do you plan to bring along a generator?

Do you plan to go with one of the big fancy hitches?

Do you tow at altitude?

Depending on the answers to those questions, you likely are fine with a 23', questionable (= need the right answers). at 25' and (probably) over the limit ( = very limited combinations of right answers) at 27'. Yes, there *are* combinations that aren't going to handle a 23', but you'd have to work pretty hard to get there.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote