Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Tedd in the midwest

I know a lot of you know a lot about me.....

I'm a late 30 something with a wife and four kids. I have an Airstream in the side yard that is for parts to finish the one in the drive way.

I work in the electronics industry as a "Maintenance tech" but wind up doing just about anything they ask me to do from mowing the lawns to moving office furniture and even working on the production line.

My hobbies are many and varied from trains (both real and toy) to sailing ships of the British navy and landscaping to garden tractors.

As many of you know I have a tendency to take on too many projects and get my self in trouble and way behind. I don't think anyone else has that problem around here....

I stumbled into the world of Airstream (at my neighbors dismay) when he asked me if I could part out a trailer he knew of in a back lot. Two months later I ask him to tow it home for me. I had and have always loved the aluminum travel trailers and was thrilled to be part of a special group.

So two years after I brought home the Ambassador I have learned a lot and made some great friends. Thank you to one and all for your help, advice and ideas.

I know I skipped a lot of the details, but I have no clue as to what any one would really like to know. If you have any questions, please fire away....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Tedd

British Sailing Ships eh? Have you read Patrick O"Brians Aubery Maturin novels yet. If you haven't, treat yourself. It takes awhile to learn the vernacular but he also published a dictionary of the terms used. He was an Irishman who spent his youth at the Admirality studying logs and then started to write.

The movie "Master and Commander, The far Side of the World" is a compulation of two of his novels. I am rereading his novels for a third time right now.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Jim,
I have the whole series, including book 21. Also have the Hornblower series.
Loved the film. I did notice parts of the first ten books in the Far side of the world movie.

I'm reading the Erogon books now. Dragons and such....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Talking Pop quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
... My hobbies are many and varied from trains (both real and toy) ... If you have any questions, please fire away....
Well Tedd, I could not resist your setup.

This locomotive drawing graces my bedroom wall. The larger print says, in part, 4-8-8-4 Single Expansion Articulated. Who made it, and what is it commonly referred to as?

Your "buddy",
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tedd.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	16751  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Hey,
the 4-8-8-4 refer to the wheels.
Single expansion is the type of steam engine.
I dive on old shipwrecks and they always refer to the type of steam engine in them as single,double or triple expansion engines.
Al
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You're right but....

I'll bet Tedd knows what the answer is.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Tedd's whole house is filled with really nice locomotive art. He's a big boy of a collector!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Think ya can work UP in there too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
... He's a Big Boy of a collector!
Not that you're imparting hints or anything...

Don! your post relects a side of you I never knew!

Not that I even know you.

Tom
Old 11-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I visited Tedd early this spring. I was amazed!

There are trains on all the walls!

Really neat.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I'll bet Tedd knows what the answer is.
I know too, but the question was directed at Tedd. There is one sitting at Steamtown in Pennsylvania, as well as a bit more than a handful scattered around the country. And I'll drop a hint on the second part of the question... It is truly an American Locomotive....
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Those *?? *??s were fine locomotives, but I'm partial to Baldwin's "Yellowstones", the massive 2-8-8-4s made in the early 40's, and epitomized in the DM&IR iron ore service. There were more of them, and there are three on display in Minnesota.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Those *?? *??s were fine locomotives, but I'm partial to Baldwin's "Yellowstones", the massive 2-8-8-4s made in the early 40's, and epitomized in the DM&IR iron ore service. There were more of them, and there are three on display in Minnesota.
There were 25 of the units in question built, from 1941 until 1944 The last one was retired in late 1962, about the time our Airstream was being built...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
There were 25 of the units in question built, from 1941 until 1944 The last one was retired in late 1962, about the time our Airstream was being built...
There were about 18 Yellowstones built for the DM&IR, and dozens more for the Southern Pacific, Northern Pacific, and the B&O.
(that's a 'Mallet', haha)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Locomotives??.....Lawn tractors???

I just found out that my new ( to me ) farmhouse, where my Argosy lives,
was moved from across the road, about a hundred some odd years ago.
They used a steam engine of some sort to move it. I guess that the horses said no. I am curious about that old steam engine tractor. I sure would
be the talk of the campground when I pulled in towing my mobile farmhouse.
Hey , I think it's aluminum siding. Would they welcome me at a WBCCI Rally?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Jim,
I have the whole series, including book 21. Also have the Hornblower series.
Loved the film. I did notice parts of the first ten books in the Far side of the world movie.

I'm reading the Erogon books now. Dragons and such....
What is book 21. If I don't have it I want it.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Tom,
That would be the Union Pacific "Big Boy" also know as the 4000 class. Built by the ALCO locomotive works in I think New York. There are many of them around still. One was even rummered to be rebuilt for a move but nothing came of it.

Jim,

Book 21 is titled "Book 21" it is the unfinished book. It was found just a couple of years ago and was published with the original manuscrip.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Tom,
That would be the Union Pacific "Big Boy" also know as the 4000 class. Built by the ALCO locomotive works in I think New York. There are many of them around still. One was even rumored to be rebuilt for a movie but nothing came of it.
They were built in Schenedctady, New York. They exited the locomotive business in 1969, after General Electric started building locomotives, instead of supplying electrical parts to ALCo. The Big Boy that was supposed to be rebuilt was number 4018. They weighed over a million pounds, or the equivalent of 166 Overlanders loaded to capacity (dragging the thread back to Airstream content).
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Ah, yes! And I had the thrill of being in the cab of one, getting to play with all the goodies! And trust me.... for me, it WAS a thrill!!!
I've also chased the Challanger across parts of Iowa.... I do love trains. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Illinois Central... until he fell under a train and lost his arm. They backed the train from Galena, Illinois, across the Mississippi, to take him to the hospital in Dubuque!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Ah, yes! And I had the thrill of being in the cab of one, getting to play with all the goodies! And trust me.... for me, it WAS a thrill!!!
I've also chased the Challanger across parts of Iowa.... I do love trains. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Illinois Central... until he fell under a train and lost his arm. They backed the train from Galena, Illinois, across the Mississippi, to take him to the hospital in Dubuque!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Elizabeth, have you been to the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis? A pretty cool collection here. Well worth the visit. http://www.museumoftransport.org/

One of our forum members Midamrail is the curator and her hubby owns a business that rehabs and rents out passenger cars. http://www.midamericarailcar.com/services.htm

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Well, there's another one to put on my list of places to go!

Saw the Big Boy at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. There, one is allowed all over the Engine and tender! Inside the cab! Everything! At least, at the time we were there, that's the way it was.
Web site available at: http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/index.php
Please note there is plenty of RV parking on the grounds.... not camping mind you, but day parking! And taking in food or drink is only discouraged during certain times spelled out on the site.

Ooooh! And I see Thomas the Train is visiting! Wouldn't my granddaughter love that! And what the hey! With an Airstream all is possible! LOL!!

Elizabeth in Iowa