Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Halifax , Nova Scotia
S'up

Hi,

I'm going to be selling my house this summer and plan on living in an AS full time. I hope to hook it up to traditional water and use a composting toilet on a semi-rural lot. As a first-timer I've decided that I'd like a 1970 or earlier, bedroom in the back, 28' or longer. Not picky about model (yet...). Hoping to find the perfect rig for me with the most tricky things new or tested solid (frame, plumbing, wiring, furnace/alt heat source, water heater and pump, propane lines, windows & door). ...and breaks & tires solid enough to get her home to Nova Scotia. I'm only really worried about insulation. I can manage the rest - appliances, kit & bath fixtures, built-ins/furniture/storage here to fit my budget and taste.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm going to need it!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best wishes on your Airstream endeavor.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa S View Post
Hi,

I'm going to be selling my house this summer and plan on living in an AS full time. I hope to hook it up to traditional water and use a composting toilet on a semi-rural lot. As a first-timer I've decided that I'd like a 1970 or earlier, bedroom in the back, 28' or longer. Not picky about model (yet...). Hoping to find the perfect rig for me with the most tricky things new or tested solid (frame, plumbing, wiring, furnace/alt heat source, water heater and pump, propane lines, windows & door). ...and breaks & tires solid enough to get her home to Nova Scotia. I'm only really worried about insulation. I can manage the rest - appliances, kit & bath fixtures, built-ins/furniture/storage here to fit my budget and taste.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm going to need it!
My brother in law picked up a 30' Sovereign 1969 model with rear bathroom. Beautiful trailer. Needed a lot of TLC. He is in the process of putting a composting toilet. He has restored the heater and the ammeter. The from living area was changed at some point so that was a shame, but the rest of the trailer was pretty original. The previous owner changed the fridge and hot water tank. The plumbing and wiring was pretty messed up and most of these items have been repaired.

Good luck with your hunt for the "perfect" trailer.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

It " sounds " like a good idea. BUT….

Sorry, this is not what you want to hear, Honestly…it doesn't really even sound like a good idea.

No trailer is suited for four season living

Even motor homes that are designed as four season, fall short.

Many have tried it. Some have succeeded….but hardly anyone tries it again the next year.

Even if your house sells right away, it's gonna take a while to find a trailer.It's going to take a while to fix up a 70s trailer. It's going to take a while to modify the trailer. It's going to take a while to find a lot. ( I don't know the zoning laws where you are but most places in the USA won't allow using an RV as a house )

You are either going to have to spend a LOT of money for a restored trailer, or you will be spending between 10K to 20K US Dollars fixing up a 70s trailer. Then the cost of your modifications. Not to mention the cost of a lot.

You could design a heating system, Electric might be your best bet.( but if you lose power you are in trouble ) Or maybe an outdoor wood furnace or something. You could design a heated fresh water supply. You could design a waste water/septic/ sewer system. A composting toilet, won't help with showers, or dishwater. How far will your lot be from a laundramat. It could be done. I seriously doubt you could do it by this winter.

Canada????????? NO…..Florida might be a different story

On the other hand it would be a perfect way to lose a wife, or to insure that you stay single.

It is a cool idea…BUT a bad one.

Read up on condensation. Read reports from people who tried it.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote