Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Look at the 25 FB Eddie Bauer or the 27 FB Eddie Bauer -

I've been tempted by the 30 foot Serenity with 2 recliners, but have decided that my "if I win the lottery Airstream" would be the 27' Eddie Bauer. For storing bicycles and dirty dawgs - you'll love it. Colonial has one in stock I think.

Paula
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Look at the 25 FB Eddie Bauer or the 27 FB Eddie Bauer -

I've been tempted by the 30 foot Serenity with 2 recliners, but have decided that my "if I win the lottery Airstream" would be the 27' Eddie Bauer. For storing bicycles and dirty dawgs - you'll love it. Colonial has one in stock I think.

Paula
We like the EB, too; but there are budgetary constraints and we have seen very few used EB listed for sale. Specs show -at least to us - that jumping to the 25EB makes the most sense over what we happily have right now. But we share its ownership with the bank.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Floor plan and size are the difference between enjoying and dreading.

We started with a 19 and traded it in a month later on a 25 front bedroom. Learn from our mistake and do the following.

Both of you lay on the bed together. Do you have enough room to be comfortable? A bad nights sleep is a no go.

Do both of you fit comfortably in the throne room with the room you need to do what you need to do?

Are you and the hounds able to move around? Sometimes it's cold or it rains and then all four of you are stuck inside.

There is really no difference in towing between a 19,23 or 25 except for lane changes.

And finally. Go to Airstream rally's. There is usually a trailer tour and even if there is not. Airstreamers will let you see their trailers and answer your questions.

The goal is to buy once and be happy.

Have fun and good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
irm
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Well, after another couple weeks of research and reading your wonderful posts we really have come full circle on the size!

My husband and I will not only be traveling and riding our bikes regularly, but we realized that one of the things we really "need" is a good place to hang out. We often do long, tiring rides and spend the couple of hours between lunch and dinner relaxing. SOOOO - it's clear that we actually need to place a big priority on the living space of our trailer.

It looks like we're now all over the 25' (might consider the 23' if everything was right). Amazingly, I just found one for sale about 3 hours from our house that has the floor plan and most of the finishes we want. Plus it's within budget!

Assuming the seller gets back to me and says he still has it...does anyone have recommendations on how to find an inspector for a reasonable price? Any other private seller/buyer tips? I've heard we should get the VIN number and have it checked out before we buy. Thoughts?

I'm getting less scared of the length of the trailer towing-wise...sounds like you all think 19-25' isn't really that different in this respect. Think we'll have any regrets when accessing tight campgrounds or trying to boondock off the beaten path a bit (I see both scenarios likely)?

Another interesting point someone made to me was - "you've never towed anything before anyway and since you have nothing to compare it to, you won't notice any extra trouble with the longer one." Interesting...
irm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by irm
Well, after another couple weeks of research and reading your wonderful posts we really have come full circle on the size!

My husband and I will not only be traveling and riding our bikes regularly, but we realized that one of the things we really "need" is a good place to hang out. We often do long, tiring rides and spend the couple of hours between lunch and dinner relaxing. SOOOO - it's clear that we actually need to place a big priority on the living space of our trailer.

It looks like we're now all over the 25' (might consider the 23' if everything was right). Amazingly, I just found one for sale about 3 hours from our house that has the floor plan and most of the finishes we want. Plus it's within budget!

Assuming the seller gets back to me and says he still has it...does anyone have recommendations on how to find an inspector for a reasonable price? Any other private seller/buyer tips? I've heard we should get the VIN number and have it checked out before we buy. Thoughts?

I'm getting less scared of the length of the trailer towing-wise...sounds like you all think 19-25' isn't really that different in this respect. Think we'll have any regrets when accessing tight campgrounds or trying to boondock off the beaten path a bit (I see both scenarios likely)?

Another interesting point someone made to me was - "you've never towed anything before anyway and since you have nothing to compare it to, you won't notice any extra trouble with the longer one." Interesting...
Here is a picture of the volunteer inspector list for Colorado, it's midway down on the portal page. I used it when we bought our 06 Bambi over 1200 miles away and had a great forum member help me out! I googled my Vin and saw how many owners there were and dates it was put into service so it's easy to do.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1643705332.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	172908  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Managing the Gray Tank

Please don't send the PC police out to find me, but this is what I use on occasion. When boondocking out in the wild, I empty the gray tank into the nearest bush, tree, shrub using this cap and a long enough black hose.

I fly fish and am often out in the woods away from others.

Name:   t-452-304.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  22.5 KB

Good luck with your search. I have a Tundra and pull my 25FB without problems. I also carry two bikes in the back along with a generator and some wood for fires.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Please don't send the PC police out to find me, but this is what I use on occasion. When boondocking out in the wild, I empty the gray tank into the nearest bush, tree, shrub using this cap and a long enough black hose.

I fly fish and am often out in the woods away from others.

Attachment 172912

Good luck with your search. I have a Tundra and pull my 25FB without problems. I also carry two bikes in the back along with a generator and some wood for fires.
I've used this device sparingly, as you have, but the first time my wife saw me use it, killing Bambi would have been more humane, to hear what I went through.

Like a VERY understanding person (who's been married to the same lady for over 47 years), I replied with, "Dear, are you ever concerned when you wash your car in the driveway and use detergent, in the process"?

Now I haven't used this device since our little misunderstanding, but I don't think the situation won't be quite as tense the next time I do.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If you have never been RVing, why not rent something and get an idea of what works for you size wise. You might also get a copy of The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. When we were buying, the most important thing for my Wife was to have a walk around bed. Funny how something that seems so trivial is really a big deal. We love our 27' FB by the way. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
irm
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hi All,

More advice needed...

We found our airstream - a 2007 25fb Safari Limited and it's in excellent condition EXCEPT...

-After studying the forums we knew to look out for possible water damage and signs of prior water damage under the dinette (appears to be an issue on all pre-2010 models with the large panoramic windows at the back). Sure enough, the wood at the edge of the flooring, against the wall was damaged and chunky and black. It was dry, but clearly toasted. Of course, without tearing everything out, we won't know the extent of the water damage but we are imagining it extends a few feet out. The floor wasn't noticeably spongey.

I've seen the posts about this issue and it looks like repairs could cost as much as $4000-$5000 and/or is something that can be fixed if we're handy. I'm hoping we can negotiate a better price with an eye towards fixing it and it's my thought that the bones are good. Brief history of the location of this unit: the original owner's were in San Fran (read: WET) while the current owners are in Colorado (read: dry desert). My dream is that the damage is done, nothing is overly rotter, and we fix the leaking areas and drive away into the sunset. Or...are we crazy - should we be running away? It seems like we'll will see this issue over and over as long as we are looking at this floorplan and model year range.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Too long an Airstream is just about long enough...
...you'll see. Lots of folks have wished they bought a longer one, and yet I've not yet heard anyone say they bought too long
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
irm
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hi everyone!

Just putting some closure to this post...we are no longer looking! Check out my post with pics on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1234966

Things happened pretty quickly but the situation was just too right! We didn't take ALL of your advice, but after hanging out at the local Airstream dealership for hours, hearing your suggestions, and reading the forums we ended up with a 25ft FB

Thank you so much for your advice...after our first night in our AS we know the size is perfect. I can't even believe we thought a 19ft trailer would do the trick! Thanks for saving me time and effort...