Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
TCL

1969 25' Tradewind
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
shock absorbers for 1969 Tradewind

I purchased a 1969 25 ft Tradewind, and while having the brakes checked, noticed that each wheel has a shock absorber. The shocks look to be ancient and show evidence of leakage. How can I determine what shocks to use for replacement and where can I find them? Also, if I cannot obtain replacements, what is the downside to running with defective shocks?

Thanks.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Many posts claim that shocks are not needed, but that Airstream puts them on because AS are "high end" products and they would be considered lacking if they weren't included. I can live with that on good paved roads, occasional potholes notwithstanding. However, if you encounter a dirt road with washboards, I can't imagine feeling comfortable without them.

Andy at Inland RV has the right shock (if your's is a horizontal installation). You can look around the forums and you'll see two different alternative shocks. I picked Monroe 555003, intending to put them in horizontally. Some quick tests (pushing and pulling them by hand) in a nearly horizontal position indicated they maintained damping action in this orientation, per others assertions. Ufnortunately, you'll find differing opinionson this and I can find no specs for maximum installed tilt angle for any shock. Nor can I find a shock that says "for horizontal applications." Maybe someone else has a URL for this information.

After I bought the shocks, I wound up taking the belly pan off as part of an axle replacement effort (see "new axis axle" thread). Now that the belly pan is off, I can install an upper shock mounting bolt that will allow nearly vertical shock installation (38 degrees from vertical). If I made the shock bracket longer, there would be no problem making it truly vertical. I'll post drawings on the other thread, as well as final installation info once I get the axle installed over the weekend.