Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
I’m with Lauri on the Ram recommenced! The 2020 just got a top Safety Pick; the 2019 got the Truck of the Year award. Best interior out there. We had a 2019 Ram 1500 but moved up to 2500 for extra payload capacity for our 27’ Globetrotter.

Look for these options for towing: 5.7 Hemi 3.92 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, towing package (integrated brake controller, towing mirrors that flip up). If you can swing it, the Safety Package includes adaptive cruise and autonomous braking. We had all on our 1500 and it pulled the 27’ without a problem. That configuration is good for 11, 400 lbs. tow capacity.

Here’s a photo of our 1500 and GT before we swapped it for the 2500.

Good luck!
Gorgeous set-up! I am thinking about the Ram 2500 or Ford F250 for the extra payload just in case I ever need to bug out! Nice to see Rams getting those recognitions. Were the 2015-17 Rams good, too? I am thinking about a few years old just to save on the depreciation. But the new ones have all sorts of great options! So many decisions!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Ruby... I am in the Mohave Desert of Southern Nevada.

The heat affects me more than your cold affects you. I welcome you to come and we can 'break in that beautiful trailer' of yours.

Once you beat the living hell out of your new trailer... there is nothing else to worry about. The dust is good for you. Nancy and I are the people YOU need to take you on an Adventure that usually 50% of members who come along with us... wave with one finger and depart... if they can find their way out of the forest. (A Catch 22 situation of do I, or do I not? Kind of decision.)

Keep us in mind. If you do not have what it takes... we will provide IT. Period. Underline it... have good insurance.

Read the 2016 Wyoming Adventure under Boondocking. Try any of those camp sites. Thalweg of Wyoming... can provide the maps in detail. You may want to try it on your own. Just beware there are things that go bump in the dark... like trees and steep canyons... but you will survive.

This wonderful trailer is meant to beat the rivets and interior into something livable and take photographs for memories and post them on this FORUM.

We all like to hear about the Fun, Travel and Adventure people find in places they should not be with a 34 foot Airstream... but you... perfect. Go anywhere and we will show you a great time. At least 50% of the time.

If you have a dog whose legs clear tall grass... our Blue Heelers and your dog will get along, very well. Well, 50% of the time.

Have fun. Get some miles on those tires. See what is left of the Wild Frontier. I include a photo in Utah, near Arches Monument, but maybe only in the same State... you may want to avoid. Just FYI if you see it... maybe be a 50 percenter and turn around.
Thanks so much for the offer! I may eventually take you up on it! Yes, sounds like a good idea to avoid the extreme wilderness near those cautionary signs. Of course, I could tough it (yeah, right!), but not my little wimpy dog. LOL!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It will be cheaper to get more cooling for your Jeep than buying an entire new truck.

In reliability, Dodges (now apparently called Ram) have never rated highly. Check Consumer Reports and others to see how various vehicles rate. You can check CR at the library.

My wife tows 1/3 to 1/2 the time. She refuses to back up because she has me. Just about the only time I have to back up is at campgrounds, so you can limit yourself to campgrounds that have pull thrus. You can go to a large empty parking lot and practice.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
Me too. ¾ ton pickup pulling a 2-horse trailer with dressing room (bumper not goose-neck)--that helps toward pulling a 16' Airstream (we started out in one of them), but there are some things that are more difficult. The Airstream isn't "square" but rounded, making it more difficult to aim the trailer when backing up. The thing will jack-knife quicker when backing because it reacts quicker, so keep steering motions small. Otherwise, you do have a head start on total newbies to trailer-pulling. You know how to be cautious because you had a living, moving cargo behind you. You are used to looking around that thing behind you. You are aware that it is behind you and think of the whole unit, not just steering your vehicle. Good luck.
SafariSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
Gorgeous set-up! I am thinking about the Ram 2500 or Ford F250 for the extra payload just in case I ever need to bug out! Nice to see Rams getting those recognitions. Were the 2015-17 Rams good, too? I am thinking about a few years old just to save on the depreciation. But the new ones have all sorts of great options! So many decisions!
Dodge has some great deals on 2019’s right now. I saw one that was 20% off. Would have pulled you trailer easily.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Remember You Tube is your information friend for rv'ing how to's. For backing up take a look at the Wandering Wagners. He was a truck driver and has a great video. Even airstream has how to videos. There's Long Long Honeymoon for some how to videos. Just do some searches.

Our first trip almost 2 years ago started out boondocking for three nights, and lasted 3 months. Great jump into the fire learning experience.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I have been trailering for many decades (horse, cargo, flatbed, car trailers) this is my first time with a travel trailer and when I don't have a spotter, I am not embarrassed to move slowly only a few feet at a time and then get out and check that I am OK especially if the space is tight (like parking in storage).
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
New 2018 Ram 2500’s blow-out deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
Hi Ruby Rose,

If you’re looking to save on a 2015-17 truck, definitely check around on a new 2018 2500. There’s plenty around and they’re throwing big discounts because the 2020’s are coming. I just saw a 2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn, list price $57K for $43,600. You’d pay close to that on a used two year old truck with low miles AND you get the new warranty. Lots of dealers do “Internet Sales” too if you can’t find what you’re looking for locally, fly in and drive it home or trade in the Jeep.

By the way, you can still “build” a new 2018 Ram 2500 online then search dealer inventory for one that matches your requirements. https://www.ramtrucks.com/lineup.sni.html?app=sni

Happy shopping!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Hi Ruby Rose,
I just posted our truck for sale on the classified site yesterday.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ew-cab-diesel/

We really love this truck but have a Ford dually that is paid off and decided to sell this one so we could pay off the note. It's in great shape and is still under warranty. My husband calls it a "heavy half ton." It pulls our 27 ft. Flying Cloud real nice. Also pulls our goose neck horse trailer.

Welcome to Airstreaming and let me know if you want more info on the truck!

Lisa
Lisarhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSarah View Post
Me too. ¾ ton pickup pulling a 2-horse trailer with dressing room (bumper not goose-neck)--that helps toward pulling a 16' Airstream (we started out in one of them), but there are some things that are more difficult. The Airstream isn't "square" but rounded, making it more difficult to aim the trailer when backing up. The thing will jack-knife quicker when backing because it reacts quicker, so keep steering motions small. Otherwise, you do have a head start on total newbies to trailer-pulling. You know how to be cautious because you had a living, moving cargo behind you. You are used to looking around that thing behind you. You are aware that it is behind you and think of the whole unit, not just steering your vehicle. Good luck.

I could not believe how sensitive the rig was to backing up. Just the slightest movement of the steering wheel on my SUV caused the RV to swing strongly. It took me an hour just to put it in my driveway when I got home. By contrast, I was able to back up my horse trailer with a truck easily and quickly.
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisarhr View Post
Hi Ruby Rose,
I just posted our truck for sale on the classified site yesterday.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ew-cab-diesel/

We really love this truck but have a Ford dually that is paid off and decided to sell this one so we could pay off the note. It's in great shape and is still under warranty. My husband calls it a "heavy half ton." It pulls our 27 ft. Flying Cloud real nice. Also pulls our goose neck horse trailer.

Welcome to Airstreaming and let me know if you want more info on the truck!

Lisa
Looks like a nice truck, but you are rather far from me. Good luck selling it. I am sure that you will find a buyer really soon!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The shorter the trailer, the more sensitive it is to backing (and jackknifing). The solution is to turn the wheel even less. Every trailer/motor vehicle combination has it own dynamics, so you have to learn those by experience. If you have a weight distributing hitch on when backing (some brands are not good for backing), it should dampen the extreme movements a bit.

There are two ways to move the steering wheel when backing. If you put your hands on the top of the steering wheel, the trailer will move opposite to the direction you turn the wheel. It seems most people put their hands on top because that is how they drive (hands at 2 and 10). But if you put your hand(s) at the bottom, the trailer will turn the same direction you turn the wheel. That feels easier to me. After a dozen years backing trailers, I still have to think it through because I don't do it all that often. When we return home, I have to back my trailer into a tight space between my garage and an embankment. The first time every year, it takes 10-20 minutes of back and forth. A couple of weeks ago I did it in less than 2 minutes—the more you do it, the easier it gets.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The shorter the trailer, the more sensitive it is to backing (and jackknifing). The solution is to turn the wheel even less. Every trailer/motor vehicle combination has it own dynamics, so you have to learn those by experience. If you have a weight distributing hitch on when backing (some brands are not good for backing), it should dampen the extreme movements a bit.

There are two ways to move the steering wheel when backing. If you put your hands on the top of the steering wheel, the trailer will move opposite to the direction you turn the wheel. It seems most people put their hands on top because that is how they drive (hands at 2 and 10). But if you put your hand(s) at the bottom, the trailer will turn the same direction you turn the wheel. That feels easier to me. After a dozen years backing trailers, I still have to think it through because I don't do it all that often. When we return home, I have to back my trailer into a tight space between my garage and an embankment. The first time every year, it takes 10-20 minutes of back and forth. A couple of weeks ago I did it in less than 2 minutes—the more you do it, the easier it gets.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will give it a try!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA