Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Safari Sport 17

Time to introduce myself, as I have just placed a deposit on a 2008 Safari Sport 17, to be picked up at Bates RV on August 15. My wife and I live in north-central Louisiana where I am the Chief Administrator for the parish (county) sheriff's office; we have a staff of 155 and patrol 1440 sq miles, for LEO's that might be interested.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the many, many posts from the members online. Lots of information here!

JD Thornton
Natchitoches LA
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Welcome!

We will all be very eager to hear about your new Safari. I have some friends in California that are considering one so your feedback will be very anticipated.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome the the Forums

Congratulations. I look forward to seeing photos. Pretty country where you live.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Thanks Vaughan. Born here, but spent most of my law-enforcement career in Hartford CT. Been back for 6 years now, love the town and the job. Will keep all informed as the Safari Sport purchase is delivered. It is about 1900 miles round trip here to Bates RV and back.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I drove by Bates yesterday, they have a mess of Airstreams, both new and used, even a couple of Basecamps. If you take US 19 from I-10 to Brookseville, then SR 52 over to I-75, then down to I-4, it will cut about 100 miles or so off your trip versus I-10 to I-75.
Have you noticed a difference in "clientele" between Hartford and Natchitoches?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet When Are You Getting It?

Wow, where is Bates RV? I know it’s a done deal now, but Airstream of Arkansas in Searcy is a much closer resource. I’ve met Gene, and the people at the Chamber of Commerce also speak highly of him. Something to consider in the future.

Welcome back home. I work at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR). We are part of the College of Business and an Economic Development Agency (EDA) University Center. The EDA has regional field offices to assist in economic development in states all over the US, including Shreveport. I have visited their office. We have close ties with the northern Louisiana offices. Not only are we closer than New Orleans, but north Louisiana is more like south Arkansas than south Louisiana.

Vaughan
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome in.

I can't be the only one who is interested in this new model that you have chosen.

Pictures, Oh we do want pictures. I'd also love to hear you and your wifes take on this new model.

This next month is going to take a long time for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Wink

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. Can't wait to see the baby pictures.

We are also a LE family. Both SuEllyn and I are retired Federal Agents (Customs and DEA) and former City Police Officers (Gainesville, Tallahassee, and Miami). We one son who is a City of Tampa Police Officer, and also has an '06 19' Bambi. We have another son who is a City of New Orleans Police Lieutenant.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Whatcha pullin' it with?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Its a nice cozy interior with a fair sized Dry bath. Enjoy it, and see you on the road.

Steve
Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Safari Sport 17

TV is a 2004 F-150 Lariat 4WD extended cab. Regarding Bates, I sent emails to 5 major vendors and Bates came back with the lowest price, by far. I actually toured the lot over two years ago and enjoyed the afternoon and time with sales staff. I have not had a real conversation with anyone, but lots of email traffic, and of course a deposit transaction. Bates promises a unit ready to go on August 15. As it turns out I will be near Orlando on business, so it makes sense to get it then. By the way, I have never pulled an airstream, nor even been in one prior to, and other than, my one visit to Bates in 2005. I made this deal before discovery of the website, and kind of regret not trying to negotiate with AS of Arkansas. Gene does seem like a nice guy.

In any event, this was one of those impulse purchases, my wife and I are in our mid-fifties and "think" we would enjoy the A/S community and some travel. Of course I haven't taken any personal time in the six years I have been back!

My big project before taking delivery is trying to construct an appropriate "shed roof" behind my workshop. As some of you know we have been subjected to rain, rain, rain, for several weeks.

I do appreciate the warm welcome and friendly responses.

Vaughan, I will be in Shreveport tomorrow meeting with a judge, DA, and a flock of Sheriffs to do some strategic planning. That means we will stay on subject for about 15 minutes and then go eat lunch.

For moosetags, I work New Orleans details some, I sent two tactical teams down after the storms. A million years ago I did two years vice enforcement/narcotics there when I was with State Police. In the early eighties the action was out at the airport and fat city in Metairie. This was even before meth was a "drug of choice".

JD
Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Bates

And they give you a free lunch -
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Colonial Airstream

Colonial Airstream dealer has pictures of the 17' and 22' Safari Sports that they have in stock. They show 3 different interiors...Oatmeal, Stratus and Kiwi. I like them. They are very basic and remind me of the old 1960's Safaris.
Here's the link...
Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Daily

Oh...I wanted to say welcome to the forums JD! Congratulations on your purchase. What interior did you get?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Safari Sport 17

What interior did you get?

Oatmeal, whatever that is. Brown/beige? I checked the colonial website, there are several good photos. My wife and I have 160 acres of very remote land a few miles from here, lots of trees and a nice river that cuts across the property. But the land starts about a mile from the last paved road. Very pretty, but often not accessible. At some point we will consider slooooowly easing the little trailer out there for a weekend. But I've got to learn what I'm doing first, towing-wise. I guess I'll know a little more after driving the 900+ miles from Bates to Natchitoches.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor
What interior did you get?

Oatmeal, whatever that is. Brown/beige? I checked the colonial website, there are several good photos. My wife and I have 160 acres of very remote land a few miles from here, lots of trees and a nice river that cuts across the property. But the land starts about a mile from the last paved road. Very pretty, but often not accessible. At some point we will consider slooooowly easing the little trailer out there for a weekend. But I've got to learn what I'm doing first, towing-wise. I guess I'll know a little more after driving the 900+ miles from Bates to Natchitoches.
Check your air pressure before leaving the lot. Other than that take her easy and you'll do fine.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey JD,

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Forums. I purchased my 19CCD from Bates, and the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) was a total disaster! As an RV Tech, I wound up completing the PDI myself and Frank Bates paid me for my time, after offering me a job!

While I have heard that their service dep't is better now, please be sure that your service tech AND sales person go over every inch of that trailer with you and be certain that everything works to your complete satisfaction!

It's a long way back to Natchitoches.

BTW, I usually pass right thru there when I'm coming/going from FL to Oregon. Maybe I'll stop by and say 'howdy!' in Oct. on the way back.

Looking forward to your first use report...................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Safari Sport 17

Now I'm nervous. I am too new at this to even know what to look for in an inspection. That is good advice about having both the sales person and the tech person go through the checklist with me. But as a novice I am concerned that I will miss things I shouldn't miss. What else should I do in preparation?

Lew (or anyone else coming thru) you can reach me by calling the Sheriff's Office 318-357-7800 or 7801. Dispatch will patch you through to me.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Your dealer should provide you with a pre-delivery inspection checklist. Ask them to email or fax it ahead of time. I added certain items that were specific to my trailer to make sure I didn't overlook them when doing the PDI.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Punchlist

Quote:
Now I'm nervous. I am too new at this to even know what to look for in an inspection. That is good advice about having both the sales person and the tech person go through the checklist with me. But as a novice I am concerned that I will miss things I shouldn't miss. What else should I do in preparation?

Lew (or anyone else coming thru) you can reach me by calling the Sheriff's Office 318-357-7800 or 7801. Dispatch will patch you through to me.
Hi JD,

Here's a link to a thread that has a great predelivery checklist. Read the first post and the checklist is a Word document link at the bottom...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ome-28618.html

Steve
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Quote:

Vaughan, I will be in Shreveport tomorrow meeting with a judge, DA, and a flock of Sheriffs to do some strategic planning. That means we will stay on subject for about 15 minutes and then go eat lunch.

JD
Hi JD,

Gotcha! I do economic development planning statewide. BTW, there is an excellent Mexican restaurant across the street from the Texarkana, AR city hall.

I’m sure you will be fine on your trip home. Your property sounds nice, but wait for drier weather to try that. When that will happen is anyone’s guess, I suppose. We are having the wettest July I can ever remember.

Be sure and post some photos.

Vaughan