Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #1

Roof Vent Advice Needed

We need advice from Rivetmeisters everywhere! We are just starting our project to fix up our 68 Sovereign. The two smaller roof vents with the fans defintely need some TLC. Is there a way to remove the cap without grinding away the rivets set into the threaded block in the raising mechanisim? (Will attach pic) We noticed the larger center vent cap brackets used screws instead of rivets to fasten to the same type of block. Would someone know if this was standard or modified? Many thanks in advance for any assistance, Mike...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roof Vent.pdf (892.7 KB, 104 views)
68sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sovereign
We need advice from Rivetmeisters everywhere! We are just starting our project to fix up our 68 Sovereign. The two smaller roof vents with the fans defintely need some TLC. Is there a way to remove the cap without grinding away the rivets set into the threaded block in the raising mechanisim? (Will attach pic) We noticed the larger center vent cap brackets used screws instead of rivets to fasten to the same type of block. Would someone know if this was standard or modified? Many thanks in advance for any assistance, Mike...
Drilling out the rivets is quite simple. You might as well get used to doing so as it will become second nature before long. Most of the trailer is put together with rivets. The interior pop rivets are quite cheap to replace.
The larger vent was most likely riveted in place when made.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Good picture! I have no experience with this type of vent, but the picture shows that those are pop rivets and they appear to be aluminum. That makes them quite easy to remove if that is what you need to do. If you can get a drill bit in a drill up against them, use a bit a little larger than what you think is the diameter of the rivet shank and drill the head until it pops off like a small wheel. Then gently pry the parts apart. If you cannot get in there with a drill and drill bit, you can pry up the edges of the pop-rivet head and crush it down to a diameter small enough to allow the two parts to be pried gently apart. This is the messier way and can be combined with grinding. The problem with grinding is that you will probably hit the adjacent material much more than you intend. That is experience talking....
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Hi Mike,

I agree... great photo! I have two of these vents, luckily in a little better condition.

It looks like the interior trim ring is missing... did you remove it? If so, how?

Good Luck,

Steve
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #5

Wow, 3 replies right away!!!

Hi Doug, Thanks for those words of wisdom. I need to get up the learning curve quickly on rivets.

Tim, I appreciate the compliment on the picture. Like the patina? I will try drilling route first & take my time with it. I can't afford any mistakes!

Steve, Many thanks as well. The trim ring is an aluminum frame with a screen. It has a couple of steel spring clips that hold it firm in the opening and a few sheet metal screws.

This is a great way for newbies like us to learn about our airstream!

I'm sure we'll be back! Have a great weekend/holiday!

Mike
Old 06-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
All the vent lifters on mine were rivited. They all were tapped, I think, 6-32.
I've had good luck drilling out rivits in tight places with split point drill bits. Go undersized from 1/8th to maybe 3/32 or 5/64 if you want to use screws. So far so good on mine after 4 years.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Boy does that look familar

I have 3 of those on my 67. I find that 1/8 bullet point drill bits work great for pop rivits. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Have to admit to a fear of drilling out rivets also when we first started repairs. Originally I was using a 1/8 bit and drilling out the entire core.... then using pliers on the head...

Finally figured out how soft aluminum rivets are. So now its 3 to 5 seconds with a 7/64ths bit - insert the tip of a scratch awl or center punch inside the edge of the head and off it pops. Shove the shaft back into the cavity out of your way and move on.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #9

Many thanks for the replies from Tom, Vaughan, & Gary. This gives us confidence to tackle this project now. We'll let you know how it goes!

Regards,
Mike