Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Wakefield , Massachusetts
Replace Floor

We have just purchased a 1972 31' soverign international. We are pondering a decision to replace the floor. I've read several articles, advising different materials. What is the best type of plywood, and why??

Thanks,
BecketBob72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Congratulations

Good for you. Hope you have as much fun in yours as we have.
Some like marine, some like thicker than stock. I like a good outside grade, one good side, standard, same as stock thickness plywood.
Does your frame have any sag?
My frame is rusted because of the way the belly aluminum overlapped the sides under the bottom edge trim.
The insulation held the water and severly weakened the frame. The frames were not overbuilt in those years.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketBob72
We have just purchased a 1972 31' soverign international. We are pondering a decision to replace the floor. I've read several articles, advising different materials. What is the best type of plywood, and why??

Thanks,
Hi, Bob. I used 3/4" exterior B/C grade in my new floor. Marine grade is probably better to use, but cost nearly 3 times as much. Couple that with the fact that it's a good idea to epoxy certain areas and treat the rest with some other type of sealant, I figured the Marine grade wasn't worth the extra cost. Fastrob is right about the leaks. There is a design flaw (IMHO) in the way the belly pan attaches in the '70's model trailers. Water just pours in. I'm working on a fix for it now and should start putting it all back together in the next few days.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

You can see how I did it here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...nte-15132.html

Jim

P.S. Got family in Lynnfield.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Things will line up better if you use the same thicken, likly 5/8. Please review all the related issues before you start. It will save you time and money and maybe your sanity. You will find frame problems under the floor. I believe it is easier to replace the floor with the shell off. But of course that is very scary.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Things will line up better if you use the same thicken, likly 5/8.
they changed to 3/4" in the early 70's...not sure exactly when. (perhaps w/ the body style change in '69?). Anyway...73 is definately 3/4"...I would bet 72 is, too.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
There is another recent thread asking some floor replacement questions:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...oor-24006.html

In my post #6 there I point to a number of other places where there is floor replacement information. One of them describes a material that I used for my floor that is an alternative to plywood. I like the results but I have noticed that the price of the material that I used seems to be going up. I evidently got in on the ground floor with reasonable pricing.

Regarding the plywood thickness on 70's vintage trailers there was a change to the aluminum channel at the bottom of the walls so that it has a c-shaped part on the bottom into which the plywood fits. For that reason you would want to use plywood of the currect thickness or you will have to shave the edges down to fit. My '73 had 3/4" plywood by the way.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I was wondering if Jim could expound on the "design flaw" that lets water pour in - we just purchased a 71.

Thanks... Gary
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Gary, there's a pretty discussion of it here, begining at post #82. http://www.airforums.com/forum...e-15132-6.html

Basically, the belly pan fits over the outside of the upper shell of the trailer. Water simply runs down the side of the trailer and directly into the belly. If there are any specific questions, let me know.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Read through all the posts that Jim refered me to above (thanks) - they scared the heck out of me. Some have the belly overlapping - some underlapping - some with no type of sealant. Finally have the 71 out of the shop and parked where I could look at it. The beltline does have a sealer along the top edge - looks like the same stuff as along the seams - needs some minor touch up. Any thoughts on whether I should pull back part of the beltline just to be sure whats there or its it one of those no foul no harm situations - the floor is solid.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote