Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quakertown , Pennsylvania
Renovating a 1962 Tradewind

My husband and I are renovating a 24 foot 1962 tradewind airstream. We plan to live in it full time on a piece of land, in four seasons in PA, until we build a house on that land. We also would like to be able to travel for vacations in the airstream, especially once it isn’t our full-time residence. We are also working with my brother-in-law who is a licensed contractor, and his son.

Some of our big questions are: shell on or shell off renovation? Should we put propane in or do electric only? What can we do to make living in it over the winter do-able? We’ve done a fair amount of research but would enjoy hearing from others in similar situations. Any of us on the renovation crew may be posting under this username as we go forward, too.
62rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 26' Overlander
Detroit , Michigan
Renovating a 1962 Tradewind

I’m assuming your reference to four seasons suggest you intend to winter camp in the trailer while the house is being built? While not insurmountable, several aspects of airstreams work against them being an ideal solution to winter (sub-freezing) living. These include:

- Wall thickness of 1.5” limits the amount of insulation that can be used
- Windows are single pane
- Window frames are metal
- The interior and exterior skins are metal and bridged by metal ribs that promote transfer of both heat (in the summer) and cold (in the winter) into the living space
- There is often no to limited insulation below the floor
- It’s difficult to keep the waste tanks and water supply lines from freezing and subsequently cracking

As you know, Pennsylvania has average nightly temperatures that fall below freezing from December to March, therefore, I’d carefully consider the above.

I’m going to make a few assumptions and suggestions below. Please redirect the thread if the following isn’t relevant or possible

Having spent the last four years renovating my trailer, from the ground up, I’d suggest you consider placing your initial effort and resources towards a heated shop building with a temporary living space. This will undoubtedly be faster to build than an airstream renovation. Perhaps this will end up being the garage for the house if space or HOA rules prohibit a separate shop building.

The benefit of having this space will eliminate the above concerns about temperature regulation in the airstream, provide a secure and temperature controlled location for the renovation and for you to temporarily reside while the house is built, will significantly decrease the time required for an airstream renovation, and lastly eliminates the need and expense to store your trailer offsite.

I’d hate to add up the time I’ve spent moving my trailer back and forth from storage, laying out and putting away tools, etc.

Without knowing much about the trailer, I’d suggest you spend plenty of time reading the renovation threads here on the forums before starting your trailer’s renovation. Keep as much of the components of the trailer as you can until you are finished with the renovation, even if you think you will not reuse the items. Consider where you’ll store this stuff. Do a shell off if several sections of the floor need replaced. Be sure your shop building ceiling height is tall and stout enough to lift the shell inside. Don’t renovate the inside until the trailer’s foundation is sound (axles, frame, subfloor, and all connections to the “C” channel). I would certainly add propane for heat and cooking, particularly if you plan to boondock with the trailer. Give some serious thought to how you’ll use the trailer before moving forward as it substantially impacts your renovation approach.

Good luck!
Atomic_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the neighborhood. Brian makes some good points. It would be great to build a barn that you can keep your 62 in while renovating. Years ago when we bought our acreage, the first thing we did was build a 36 x 64 barn with a living quarters. Lived in the barn for a few years while building the house. After the house was complete, the barn apartment became the guest quarters and the open area my shop. When we got interested in Airstreams, we had an enclosed area to do a shell off. It worked out. I’m sure whatever you decide you’ll make work out. Read the feedback and get it going. Good luck.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The heated shop is a great idea, not just for the airstream but also as workspace when you build the house.

I did a shell-off on my '59 Tradewind. The floor was "ok" and I could have done a shell on restoration, but I feel much more confident towing the trailer after doing a complete shell off because i was able to beef up the frame, and completely rust proof it. Everything is easier if you take the top off.

Also was easier to fit in a gray tank and run electrical conduit and new gas lines with the floor removed.

I ended up with a very robust, well insulated, nice looking trailer that tows beautifully. I don't think that would have been the result if I had left the shell on.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Hey all, this is Windyhill, the brother in law helping out. it's been a good first three days. We now have the trailer gutted, and after removing a few rivets we popped the shell off tonight. this Airstream project isn't that bad. We've saved everything. Tomorrow we get plywood and after templating and cutting out new floor sections from 5/8 marine grade plywood we will see what repairs are needed on the frame. (I was thinking of sealing plywood with west system epoxy? or?) The plan as of now is to keep the lay out original and reuse as much as possible as it was in good shape, and almost completely original. I'm looking for suggestions and tips on what direction to go on a few things:
1) Gray and black water tanks. Custom the only option or are there stock ones that work?
2) Electric. My though is to convert everything to 12v/ leds etc. except the ac unit and a few wall outlets. I plan to run conduit under the floor as needed and the walls.
3) Insulation For the floor. thoughts on spray foam vs. other? I'm thinking of rockwool batts, and Reflectix sandwitched between wood deck and frame.
For walls it sounds like Reflectix against aluminum, then a thin layer of insulation, all aluminum channels covered with 3/4" x 1/16" double sided foam tape as a thermal break? Other ideas?
4)Axle. any issues with keeping the orginal, it seams like most folks toss it and get a new one?
That's enough for now, hopefully my sister in law will post up a few pics etc.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You’ve made a great start. Now the fun begins. We used penetrating epoxy for the plywood. In lieu of Reflectix, try comparing it to Prodex. For questions concerning your converter and AC/DC power, there are tons of Airforums info on that. You may want to give Randy a call at bestconverter.com. He’s extremely knowledgeable and doesn’t mind discussing. Concerning the axle, Airstream switched to torsion axles around 1960-61. Depending on the usage and storage methods, they say their lifespan is around 20 years. You can get a 4” high tank for grey water from Vintage Trailer Supply that will fit in your chassis framing. We used foam in our 66 and it works well. We used Prodex with an air space in the 55 with thermal breaks and that works well. You just need to have the tanks planned out while you have the frame exposed so you can move some crossmembers around to accommodate. Just plan ahead and you’ll have it rebuilt in no time.
Others will answer your questions. It’s good to have a variety of options. Good luck and ask the questions.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to these Airstream Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. The folks who have posted so far are very experienced Airstream builders. Take Atomic 13's advice seriously. Airstreams are great, lightweight easy to tow travel trailers. They aren't well suited for cold or hot weather living.

Sounds like 62rosie has a very skilled brother in law. We often say here it takes about 10x longer to put the trailer back together again after taking it apart. And the materials costs keep going up.

Here is a photo of my former Trade Wind. Enjoyed the thing quite a bit and it was fun to make it better. It pales compared to some of the trailers I've read about here on these Forums. Dual axles became standard about 1964, but I'm not positive on this. I did replace the axles on my old Trade Wind.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Curb Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	362034  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Thanks for the replies!, All the help is appreciated! is there a build forum or should we keep posting here?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62rosie View Post
Thanks for the replies!, All the help is appreciated! is there a build forum or should we keep posting here?
There’s a lot to of build threads on the forums. Check in the forum’s index for build threads relating to your year model. May be some there. Otherwise, if you continue to post your progress and how you came to your progress, that helps others in the future.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the help. Building a barn or shop would definitely be ideal, but we do have some access to one floor of a barn and my brother-in-law’s shop so we’ll see how we do with that. I’ll go ahead and move over to the trailer forums and start a thread with our progress. We are excited to be here and to have so many “voices of experience” we can ask questions.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is a link to the Airstream Trailer Knowledgebase forums where many folks "blog" their build threads, or ask specific questions about their model year Airstream. The build threads allow easier gathering of information, for example what replacement water tanks are recommended, where to get axles, what about these leaky windows, etc, etc. all in one place.

Find the Knowledgebase forums at the bottom of the forums page, find Tradewind, and select your model year.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags