Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Lubbock , Texas
Refrigerator on while traveling?

I'm confused. The Dometic Refrigerator doesn't stay cold while driving 4-8 hours on the road but the informational videos say don't drive with the propane on? What's a guy to do?
electrodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
First,

Welcome to the Forums!

Next, I full-timed in a 40' diesel MoHo for 5 years and ALWAYS had the fridge on, whether on LP while driving or AC when docked. It is a good idea to turn the unit off before you fuel up, as the open flame may ignite stray gasoline fumes.

If you don't feel comfortable running with the LP on, pre-chill the fridge overnight with cold food in it and then add a few pieces of frozen 'blue ice' blocks like you use in your cooler. They, along with the pre-cooled food, should keep it nice and cold inside for a day or so.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodx
I'm confused. The Dometic Refrigerator doesn't stay cold while driving 4-8 hours on the road but the informational videos say don't drive with the propane on? What's a guy to do?
Where are the informational vidoes from?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We travel with our refer on LP. Some members don't.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Whether to leave the LP on while driving and therefore the refrigerator) has been the discussed heavily on several threads on the forum...try a search to locate the other threads, and look through the subforums... there's one on refridgerators: Refrigerators - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community

Here are a few discussions, for instance:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-35314.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ing-12426.html

Opinions are all over the place. The jist of it ends up being to do what you feel comfortable with...and this may depend somewhat on the type and age of your refrigerator. If you feel more comfortable, turn it off. We have no problem driving with the LP on and the refrigerator cooling in our 2006 Bambi...they are designed to operate this way. We do, however, turn off the fridge before we fuel, the turn it back on after fueling...just to be safe in that environment. We also get the frig and the food it contains cold before we leave on a trip and for shorter drives, it would be fine to turn the LP off...the frig will keep the food cold...longer drives in AZ require refrigeration, however.

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
I turned my frig on in April and will probably turn it off sometime in Nov... Yes, I do leave it set for "on" even while driving and for months at a time. Right or wrong, I leave it on "gas" only and do not let it run on electric when at a campsite.

But, I do pay particular attention when coming into a gas station and how I pull up to a pump. If I am not all by my lonesome on an end somewhere that is 100% out of reach of everyone else, then I stop short of the station and shut the frig off so it cannot fire up while in the station.

Then I fill up and after pulling clear of the pumps and before pulling back on the hwy I stop again and turn it back on.

Also, I have one of those little 3 inch by 3 inch fan cubes that uses 2 D cell batteries in my frig that seems to make a world of differnce so if you don't have one you might try one for around $10 or so -- Camping World - etc all sell them.

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Just to add a little balance to the replies...I never run with my propane on - for safety reasons. Why take the chance when you have other options.
Read the other threads, and make up your own mind. You have to make, and live with your own decisions.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
gas is so.............unforgiving!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We are so fortunate to have a three way fridge. I simply switch the fridge to 12V when traveling and the box stays cold and the ice cream frozen all day long. Are these still available? Ours is 25 years old and still cooling as well as the day it was made.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We are so fortunate to have a three way fridge. I simply switch the fridge to 12V when traveling and the box stays cold and the ice cream frozen all day long. Are these still available? Ours is 25 years old and still cooling as well as the day it was made.
Still available but getting harder to find
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
frig travel

I just sold my Casita and purchased a 08 safari and I wish that AS had the 3way frig that the Casita had. Never had a problem with it. It switched from gas to 12volt to elect. on its own. It was great. Maybe AS will get smart and put it on the new ones. I would never travel with LP gas on, but thats just me. Rob
katsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Can't have it on in tunnels!

In the tunnels around Virginia, you'll be inspected and required to have your propane tanks off. You cannot take a camper THROUGH the tunnel in Baltimore (they had a propane tanker fire in the early sixties in that tunnel, many hurt and killed).

Propane is potentially dangerous, botulism is lethal. One word covers what's "right" - that word? THINK
  • Are you in Nebraska in 100 degree heat and you've seen 12 cars all day? ON works.
  • On I-95, within 100 miles of Washington DC? OFF!
  • Two hour trip in 50 degree weather? OFF
  • 700 miles over two days? ON
  • At a gas station -- OFF, OFF, OFF!
Thinking SAFETY first is a great way to camp happily.

Paula w)
Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

Propane is potentially dangerous, botulism is lethal. One word covers what's "right" - that word? THINK
  • Are you in Nebraska in 100 degree heat and you've seen 12 cars all day? ON works.
  • On I-95, within 100 miles of Washington DC? OFF!
  • Two hour trip in 50 degree weather? OFF
  • 700 miles over two days? ON
  • At a gas station -- OFF, OFF, OFF!
Thinking SAFETY first is a great way to camp happily.

Paula w)
Hey Paula-

Well put! I like your way of thinking!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I also have a 3 way frig in my 2005 LS Safari and set it on ac while driving.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
..just prior to a gas leak.........OFF, but that's just me

i haven't traveled with it yet, but Murphy has been a too frequent visitor!
besides, i might forget to turn them off when required.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
I also have a 3 way frig in my 2005 LS Safari and set it on ac while driving.
Wow, you have a 3 way in your trailer? I assume you put that in after removing the factory 2 way from airstream?

I looked into putting a 3 way in the trailer, and found that the current required to run off DC was far more than what the 7 pin trailer connection could safely provide. I would have had to run a seperate line from the tow vehicles batter / alternator.

For what its worth, I used to pull off and shut the propane off prior to getting into a gas station, and turn it back on after leaving, but then would find the darn flame blew out anyways... so I fixed that with the fiberglass furnace filter behind the fridge door.

About the same time, I switched from a gas tow vehicle to a diesel tow vehicle. Now 99% of the time I fill up at truck stations, and am far from any gas pumps. I leave the fridge on as diesel is combustible , not flammable, and high flash point as compared to gas.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Wow, you have a 3 way in your trailer? I assume you put that in after removing the factory 2 way from airstream?

I looked into putting a 3 way in the trailer, and found that the current required to run off DC was far more than what the 7 pin trailer connection could safely provide. I would have had to run a seperate line from the tow vehicles batter / alternator.

For what its worth, I used to pull off and shut the propane off prior to getting into a gas station, and turn it back on after leaving, but then would find the darn flame blew out anyways... so I fixed that with the fiberglass furnace filter behind the fridge door.

About the same time, I switched from a gas tow vehicle to a diesel tow vehicle. Now 99% of the time I fill up at truck stations, and am far from any gas pumps. I leave the fridge on as diesel is combustible , not flammable, and high flash point as compared to gas.
Kevin, you are correct, I have a two way. I must have had a senior moment. Although, I do run the AC while underway and not the propane. Works fine and keeps items cold in refer.

R/
Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Kevin, you are correct, I have a two way. I must have had a senior moment. Although, I do run the AC while underway and not the propane. Works fine and keeps items cold in refer.

R/
Rick
Rick, I assume you mean you run it on Propane (using DC) while underway, and AC when plugged to shore power.

If you have a factory 2 way, its only propane/AC. You'd need an inverter (not efficient for this application) or generator for it to run AC while underway. The only way to not have it run on propane on a 2 way fridge while underway is to take it off "auto" and force it to "off". Otherwise, if you are running "auto", it will run AC (as 1st preference) when shore power is detected, and default to propane when no AC is present. You can leave it at "auto" and then shut the gas off, thereby causing it to not run on propane with no AC present, which will result in the check light.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote