Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
It's hard for me to believe some old boys would steal a very visual, beautifull coach and stick it in the woods as a "hunting camp". Come on, even rednecks are not that stupid.
A little hostile?! aren't we. If it were my trailer, any idea would be appreciated. And no, ALL deer hunters are not angels...you might be surprised.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
A little hostile?! aren't we. If it were my trailer, any idea would be appreciated. And no, ALL deer hunters are not angels...you might be surprised.
No, not hostile at all, I'm a hunter myself. My point was it just seems foolish to job a easily identified coach for nothing more than a camp site. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I sent pictures and story to the local, and neighboring, area news papers and TV stations.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I sent pictures and story to the local, and neighboring, area news papers and TV stations.
How far away is that from Galveston? That's where I'd be having the cops be looking.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
LONGVIEW , LONGVIEW
Galveston is about 5 hrs directly south of here, good idea. thanks
mike scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Has anybody on this forum ever gotten their stolen AS back? There seems to have been quite a few in Texas the last couple years, unfortunately. Best of luck to MikeScott, looks like a very recognizable trailer.
There was one in Ohio(?) that was stolen, and recovered by authorities at a scrap yard. The trailer had been brought in, stripped of all the aluminum sheets, and left as a frame which was going to be picked up later. They never came back....

To me, that's even worse than someone stealing it and just selling it somewhere else or using it as a camping/hunting trailer.... I would have rather not even known if it was me.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
You have to figure that whoever stole it knew what they were doing, ball size hitch, running lights. At first I thought some redneck had stolen mine but the more I thought about it I realized they were pros that had a plan
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
grand rapids , Michigan
Sorry about your trailer I had my 64 bamboo 2 stolen did signs and flyers and reached out thru this forum as you did. My trailer was sold without the title or plate for 300.00 the DMV where I lived had it logged as stolen but the mounted in the ground signs that I put everywhere are what lead to the call to get it back.
The trailer now lives in an rv storage facility with fencing and a hitch lock. I hope sincerely your trailer gets back to you.
Patrice
patrice1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
grand rapids , Michigan
Bambi 2 spell check changed to the word bamboo
patrice1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sorry for you loss.
Check Craiglist in NM, too.
Most likely a target for aluminum scrap, heading south, to border scrapyards.
To everyone else: Secure your Airstreams!!!
Remove your tires and put bolt-plates with locking lugs on them.
Tongue locks DON'T work.
The criminals hook the safety chains to their bumper, and tow the trailer that way, without using the hitch!!! If it has wheels, it's gone. If you remove the wheels, they'll bring a set of their own. You have to immobilize the trailer.
GPS systems only tell you where it went, until it goes dark (even with a backup battery).
Sad, but the southern states are being victimized by hordes of criminals.
I should know. I'm a former security systems designer. I've seen it all.
If criminals worked HALF as hard in the honest world, they'd be rich.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Like a sunken submarine in WWII my stolen 72 Tradewind is still on patrol. Missing with no report.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Hey Mike, you may already know how to search all of craigslist already but I thought I'd throw my two cents in and maybe it would help...
to search all of craigslist go to search tempest: SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist
put in your info and it will search craigslists everywhere.
Good luck!
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Stolen Bambi Airstream

Scott, I too surf the Craigs list all over the USA, and look at all the posting for Airstreams, I will be watchful for your trailer....So sorry to hear of your misfortune.....Like the other post, a short rope and long tree branch would be too good for the scalleywag!!!! We will definitely be on the watch......
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We never did hear from the folks up in Seattle that had their coach stolen; I still think it now resides in a foreign country.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I read about cars, bicycles, construction equipment and other things being stolen and sent over seas. I sure can see the criminal mind looking at stealing and shipping Airstreams over seas. Maybe if you conduct an internet inquiriy and check for overseas trans ocean companies you might find aorginizations that deal in american odds and ends, which ship overseas. Since I have been a member of Airstream Forums I have read about different stolen airstreams in places like Oregon, Texas, florida. etc. They are all areas that have ports with ships.

People who steal really need to harsh penalties. It just seems like there is a constant increase of stealing in this country.

Brian
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
If printing money can be done on the computer, faking a registration, bill of lading, etc., should be child's play.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Are you keeping us posted Mike? Any word on your trailer?
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
LONGVIEW , LONGVIEW
I wish I had some positive news to post about the recovery of my 61 Bambi
but still no word. I did happen to speak with a Texas state trooper last week
and he did n't have too many encouraging words about the local authorities pursuing
the case, but I know the state Troopers cover a wide range of territory and he did seem to
show concern for keeping an eye open for my trailer. Again thank you everyone for
for all the ideas, encouragement, & watchful eyes open for my airstream.
mike scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike scott
I wish I had some positive news to post about the recovery of my 61 Bambi
but still no word. I did happen to speak with a Texas state trooper last week
and he did n't have too many encouraging words about the local authorities pursuing
the case, but I know the state Troopers cover a wide range of territory and he did seem to
show concern for keeping an eye open for my trailer. Again thank you everyone for
for all the ideas, encouragement, & watchful eyes open for my airstream.
Good luck on finding your trailer. I created a flyer on mine and sent it to the parts suppliers and people on the forum. Airstreamers have a keen eye for silver and make sure that anything that distinguishes you trailer is noted. I never had any feeling the Texas or Houston police have any interest in tracking down a trailer so best to keep eyes open that are looking to buy one.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
My guess is that if it's not overseas somewhere, it's in a barn where Google Earth cannot find it. I imagine it would not be terribly difficult to make a new name-plate/VIN number, along with either a doctored title or bill of sale, and unload this stolen trailer onto somebody else once the heat is off.
I still think these things go straight into the nearest cargo trailer and onto the next ship leaving for Timbuktu.
I hope I am totally wrong and that it turns up soon just down the road!! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags