Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2015, 05:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My opinion is to not evaluate based on the financial part of the decision. Take that part off the table.

Now really be honest about your AS dream vs AS potential reality.

Young children and demanding work can often lead to an Escape Fantasy, that one doesn't really have time or energy to realize.

1. Will your children be participating in group events that are on the weekends? Here in the midwest, kids start team soccer in kindergarten, and keep at it through middle school or high school. Your free weekends may soon be over once your kids begin school. And at least here, participation in sports, scouting, and other school and church based group activities is the backbone of the social and friendship (both kids and adults) network. Yes you can skip once in a while, but the point/lesson of being on a team is learning your responsibility to the team and that you need to be there when your team needs you.

2. Do you have the cosmic energy while working and parenting to plan trips, pack, prep, make reservations, unpack, clean up, make up housework and paperwork missed while being gone, along with driving to and from destinations? We all have a different amount of energy. Be honest about yours. And this area is also the one where if any already existing division of labor issues in your marriage or family are in play, will be magnified, and probably not in a good way.

I guess the question I am posing is not do you have the money, but do you have the time and energy required? In reality?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Huh, never quit seen so much personal financial information on a post before. That said, my opinion is life is a series of mistakes and it's how one handles the mistake is how one comes out at the end. Much like golf, there is no perfect round of golf and there is no perfect nor no right life for anyone.

If you question whether you want to camp or want an Airstream like Protaganist says then don't. Hold off. My wife and I wanted a Motorhome for over 30 years, we had a great 30' AS and a great F250. Sold them both and bought the "beast" and a Jeep to two behind it. Took a fabulous 7,000 mile round the country trip and missed the AS the entire way, sold both the MoHo and Jeep bought another 30' AS and F350 truck. See, another of lifes mistakes, handled. Planning on a similar trip only further this summer and fall in the AS.

So, my 2 cents. If you want it, do it. If you are not sure, Invest the savings in something that is very safe as an emergency account which you can use if you find a cottage some place or an RV if you decide to go that route. With a baby on the way and "not sure" it may not be the best of times to start an RV adventure for the first time.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It all depends on how you want to shape your kids. Go to a park and find a game with kids competing. Now watch the parents, as the game progresses some parents will get irritated or frustrated. Now it starts to get ugly, they start yelling and screaming at their kids and coach and lets not forget the poor referee....Now go to a campground and watch. Teaching a kid how to fish is one thing, releasing the fish shows him how precious life is, and shows compassion for all creatures. I don't go to zoos anymore...too depressing. Let nature shape your family.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Another aspect to consider is storage of the trailer when it's not in use. Unfortunately, many of us don't have the time to use our Airstreams as much as we would like, or the space to store them at home when they're not in use. That means paying to store them in a secure facility. That's an added monthly expense. Then, there are also annual license and insurance expenses. You have to consider the whole package of AS ownership and weigh the total costs and benefits. As others have already said, you may want to take a trial run with a rental trailer or motorhome to see if it's something your entire family enjoys before making the big financial plunge.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote