Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lumberton , Mississippi
RE: Introduction

Hi everyone!
This is Paul and Judy. We're Newlyweds and are somewhere North of 50. We also have Judy's parents living with us now.
Last summer we drove to the Arctic Ocean and pulled our 13' Scamp from Southern Mississippi while it was just the two of us. Now that MOM and POP are with us, we have been thinking of moving up to a small to mid sized Airstream that will sleep four. Age (of the Airstream!) doesn't matter, but we would like to learn as much as possible about what to look for in an older model. I read some horror stories about rusted frames. What else should I look for in an older Airstream? Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.
Paul and Judy
boatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You are braver than us, taking a Scamp to the Arctic Ocean.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Lumberton , Mississippi
Thanks McCabes!
The Scamp did quite well and we love it. We pulled it with a 98 Toyota Tacoma, four cylinder! But as I said we have already outgrown it with the folks.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Just want to say....Welcome aboard.

Just a word of caution, be careful with those Ebay too good to be true bids. If you have any questions, do as you're doing know. Ask the folks here at the forum. As I've said in the past, if we can't give you an informed answer, then there is no question!

Once again, welcome.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
May I suggest at least 31 ft. We are in a 28 footer and can't imagine 4 adults in anything smaller than a 31 footer. We took our parents to the north east with us for several weeks ..so ... depending on how old they are and how used to inconviences they are , you might want to consider something newer...
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin
May I suggest at least 31 ft. We are in a 28 footer and can't imagine 4 adults in anything smaller than a 31 footer. We took our parents to the north east with us for several weeks ..so ... depending on how old they are and how used to inconviences they are , you might want to consider something newer...
I concur with the 31' suggestion. But I'd like to add that you should definately look for a center bath! (as opposed to many models that are rear bath where everyone walks through the center bedroom to get to the bathroom).

My wife, large dog and I had our 24' rear bath TradeWind and were very happy. Add her mom and sister and another dog and there was chaos. We now are using a 31' Sovereign with center bath and it works great. Enough room to feel comfortable sitting around, and easy nighttime arrangements.

By the way, welcome and congratulations on your wedding! Have lots of fun, but I agree that what seems too good to be true, probably is.

Spend time here on the Forums looking through comments, and use the search feature when you want additional info on practically any topic. Lots and lots to read.

Lots of opinions for what they're worth (worth at least double what you paid for them), so a grain of salt may also be needed.

We are hoping to do the Al-Can trip to Alaska in 2010 (or 2011 according to our finances). I hope you had a great time up North on your trip!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Lumberton , Mississippi
Dear P&S,
Thank you for your suggestions! The folks are in their early 80's and at this point we probably won't be taking any lengthy trips. Two to three days would be the max.
We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner that has done well pulling around 5000#'s. It is a six cylinder, auto, two wheel drive. Do you think that would be adequate to pull a 31' A/S?
I was thinking in terms of something a bit smaller, such as your 28'. Is the 28' much lighter than a 31'?
P&J
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcat
Last summer we drove to the Arctic Ocean and pulled our 13' Scamp from Southern Mississippi while it was just the two of us.
Now this is what I want to hear about. One of my goals is to go up the ALCAN then on up to Prudoe bay. Is that how you went? what was that last long strech of road like? What was your experience that far north? DETAILS! PICS!! Do tell!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Sorry, but the 4Runner will be too small for anything over a 23 footer. We've pulled a 25' Airstream with our '02 Tundra and that is as large as I would go with a pre-'07 Tundra. With a 28 you would need an '07 Tundra or some other 3/4 ton TV. I too have had a Tacoma and towed a Scamp 5th wheel and even a 23' Award, however, it was just too small for even the 23' Award.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Welcome fellow Mississippian

So glad to see more Mississippi folks. Finding an Airstream in Mississippi is rare, be prepared to travel. We bought ours here under the classifieds. Good luck on the hunt, we have a center bath and added a queen size bed to replace the twins. As far as the tow truck you will need something bigger.
Welcome to the forums you will find great advice and lots of nice folks.
Oh by the way there is a trailer on Ebay that is located in Mississippi but it does have some rear end sag, but a lot of new things have been added. But I would always check one out before I bought.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'll have a '97 25' Safari up for sale in the near future... but the 4 folks involved would have to be good friends!

And it's been to Mississippi within the last few months!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner that has done well pulling around 5000#'s. It is a six cylinder, auto, two wheel drive. Do you think that would be adequate to pull a 31' A/S?
I can tell you from experience that the 4Runner is too small.
I towed my 25' Safari with an '88 Runner 6 cyl. It was stable enough, but VERY frustrating due to power limitations. I would never recommend doing it, and certainly not on a 31'.
I was a rookie and now know better....
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote