Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #1

vancouver , Washington
rd webber - tow combo?

Living in Panama,returning to or./wa. Looking at a 25' classic twin, 8000# GVW. Considering Cadillac EXT. Anyone with this combo out there? Interested in ability to climb mountains,expected MPG-- overall opinion. Why the EXT? at my age I need all the luxury available. Specs-- Classic 5900 # empty, EXT 403HP,417ft. lb torque ,Tow cap. 7600#. Will it do the job? BOB
RD Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forum. Check out the towing section. There are quite a few threads about this topic, but at first glance I'd say you are close to maxed out based in the numbers you've provided.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
_

. , .
welcome aboard bob...

2 threads 2 get ya started...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ali-20953.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ade-36853.html

these involve longer trailers but about the same mass...

the towing specs you have are best figures..

with the tv buck naked (no options) and with NO payload...

everything in/on the tv reduces towing parameters...

still away from interstate roads and high speed driving, it might work,

for a while.

mpg will be near single digits. the power is adequate but hp declines with altitude and no forced induction (turbo/supercharger)...

rear differential specs, added coolers (tranny/engine) and other enhancements would help too.

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome!

Our AS weighs about same...I towed one trip with a 1/2 ton Suburban (no slouch) and went and bought our 3/4 ton D/A.
You could do it, you won't be happy, and you will be near max.

Some Folks are OK operating like this...we are not.

Good luck, Bill
Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
Welcome,
Dreamed of a A/S for years, went to a rally in our area and came away crushed. There were over one hundred trailers, and each had a tow vehicle that seemed to be on steriods. Biggest motor, tranny coolers, oil coolers, not to mention equalizer hitches and helper springs :~(
I am just a working guy and to buy a trailer and a tow vehicle would exercise the budget. I would have to drive that big tow as a daily driver, and even when your not pulling your still getting 13 mpg on the highway. It was then that I discovered that Airstream built motorhomes!!! All the great things of owning a Trailer ,+Plus+, a tow vehicle in one!!! and talk about needing the luxury. I bought a 1984 310 limited (31' feet long) with 32000 miles in April. It has a Chevy 454 and gets about 15 mpg at 65 mph on the highway. It has power to spare and the gvw is about 10000-14000 loaded. It has no problem pulling my 57 Willis pickup, I have to be careful to remember it's back there :~) I know I can make a short story long, but you can't go wrong with an Airstream.

"It's when we think we know it all, that we have the most to learn"
ftbjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
1/2 ton is the wrong truck for that job
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

vancouver , Washington
Avalanche/27 AS

Avalanche/27' AS. What engine/HP/torque? What's MPG? How about mountains? Are you pleased? I'm looking at 27OB or Classic in addition to the 25'OB or Classic. Feed-back indicates Cad EXT is on the "Border" Now looking at 2500HD GMC 6.6 DURAMAX. All info helps. Thanks,Bob
RD Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Webber
Avalanche/27' AS. What engine/HP/torque? What's MPG? How about mountains? Are you pleased? I'm looking at 27OB or Classic in addition to the 25'OB or Classic. Feed-back indicates Cad EXT is on the "Border" Now looking at 2500HD GMC 6.6 DURAMAX. All info helps. Thanks,Bob
Any 3/4 ton will tow anything AS ever made comfortably.
MPG should not enter the equation when towing anything...

Having said that, a 3/4 ton with a gasser under the hood will get better mpg towing than a 1/2 ton with a small 8.
The inverse would be true when not towing.

A diesel will do better in both conditions...

Buy a TV for towing, don't worry about what happens when you are not towing. You will be far happier when loaded up if you approach it this way, and venture further, more often...isn't that the idea?

Bill
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Webber
Bob, The Avalanche is an 8.1 litre 3/4 ton. I forgot how much horsepower but it's strong!!! More than enough power. They don't offer the big block any longer so I'm told so this truck is a bit rare. Not sure about gas mileage but as BillTex has stated I'm not too concerned with a few miles one way or the other. If I have enough power, suspension, brakes and ultimately safety then I'm satisfied. I haven't towed with it yet as I'm picking up our new AS Thurs and that will be our maiden voyage but I'm told by BillTex that I'll be more than fine. I bought the truck with his recommendation and I'm sure he's right. Read some of his towing posts if you can it'll help you. Good Luck
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote