Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic
Jeanerette , Louisiana
Rain Water Leaks

I have owned three Airstream trailers since 1980. I purchased my third trailer in April 2004. It is a 2004 30' Classic. Last fall while camping in the Smokies the trailer developed a leak around the curb side wrap around window. I later brought the trailer to the dealer from whom I purchased it for repair and they sealed it. On my return trip home we were in rain and the window still leaked, although not as bad. At a later date I returned to the dealer for him to seal the window. He sealed it again and again we were in rain on our return trip home and IT STILL LEAKS. I have never experienced rain water leaks with the other two Airstreams, a 1972 International and a 1987 Soveriegn. Needless to say I am very disapointed. I would like to know if there are any other Airstream owners out there who may be having the same problem, especially on the late models and were they sucessful at repairing the leak. Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.
MikeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmith
Needless to say I am very disapointed. I would like to know if there are any other Airstream owners out there who may be having the same problem, especially on the late models and were they sucessful at repairing the leak. Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.
While I can't help you directly on this, it does raise an interesting issue on how you address window or other leaks. I've had two leaks on my trailer. One on the rear skylight and one one the front. The front was due to a crack and that skylight was replaced. The rear skylight was removed, all the old caulking was cleaned up and the skylight was reattached and recaulked. According to the dealer, the only way to do this right is to recaulk as if it were a new install.

With that thought in mind, I'm wondering if the leak is coming from around the glass, whether the best way to fix this is with the thought of removal, clean up, and then reinstallation. While it's more costly in labor, it sure makes a lot more sense than trying to overlay sealant on sealant and guessing that you have fixed the problem. I have no idea on what your dealer did to resolve the problem, but just sealing around suspected areas does carry the risk that the fix won't totally address the problem.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Mike---Welcome to the forums. You'll find a wealth of tech info and experience here. As a start, go to the SEARCH function, found at the top of the page in the blue banner with eleven other functions, and see what has already been written. I recall several threads on this general topic. Again, welcome.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Mike, just a thought. Check your stone guards for screws on the hinges. Ran into this problem with mine once and, cured it by removing the screw and, dipping the tip of the screw into some vulkum. Another thought, water leaks are known to travel from other locations in A/S. Check ur topside as wellaround vents, TV entry point, etc. GOOD LUCK
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmith
I have owned three Airstream trailers since 1980.
Mike,

Not as good as I, for I am on my 4th Airstream in 9 months (I'm going for a record).

As for the leaks...."They all leak". There are 2000 rivet holes in them, and caulking is always an issue.

Some RV service shops offer a great way to test for leaks with a sealtech device. It pressurizes the trailer, and a tech sprays soapy water on the outside looking for bubbles to appear.

Seal the bubbles, and Voila....leaks gone.

Steve
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic
Jeanerette , Louisiana
Thank you all for your input. It is all valuable info. Jack, I agree that the best way to repair this leak is to completely remove the window and reinstall. Thanks again for the opportunity to draw from the well of everyones knowledge and experience.
MikeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote