Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Question From Newbie

Greetings all:

We have recently purchased a 2007 30ft Classic, this past weekend we took it on our maiden voyage and as I was preparing to leave I turned on the black water flush with the gate closed as the book suggetsted and I notice that there was water leaking everywhere from underneath near where the light that the lights up the sewer area on the outside. Is there a valve that I was suppose to turn on? There was no smell to the water, so it must be something that leads to the tank. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
takeachance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Scott -- Welcome to the Forums!

There's a sticker right next to my black tank flush that says it should not be done without the waste gate being open. Yes, it seems to suggest I can only do this at a dump station -- and not all dump stations have water for threaded hose, or even that would work with a Water Thief. It's a catch as catch can situation. I don't know if anybody has had one of these apart, so can't say if there is an overflow valve to account for what you saw.

You refer to the manual -- probably actually one of the brochures in there for the many subassemblies. Maybe Airstream installed it their own way and the manual doesn't apply?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Sorry I can not help you with your problem. The system you describe is way too sophisticated for my 25 year old coach. I use a hose dragged through the interior connected to a "magic wand" for flushing Chummy's tank. But do let me welcome you to the forums. I am certain someone will chime in with the answer, maybe before I finish this welcome.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Scott: First, welcome to the forums.
I have a 2006 model with the same black tank flush system. Yes, the placard says one thing, the manual says something else. I know the black tank has a 'soil stack' in it (a vent to the roof) so you will not be builsing up tank pressure when hooked to a hose. The general concensus on the forum was/is, attach the hose with the dump valve closed. You need to fill the tank sufficiently to wash the sides of the tank. I normally rinse and flush several times until the water is running absolutely clear. Just be careful not to overfill the tank. That may be what happened to you. I have never had that occur to me, but I normally have Bev inside to monitor the tank gauge. I rarely go over 3/4 full while rinsing. If your leak happens immediately when hooked up, I suspect you have a problem.
Good luck.
Scott
(sounds like I'm talking to myself!!)
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Scott. Scott. (sounds like the scene from 'Spys Like Us' with Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd)

SCOTTW is doing it just like I have. The instructions in the manual says "The gate valve should be closed for the first couple minutes, and then opened to let the water out in a rush. Repeat as needed." The sticker on the side of the trailer says "Sewer valve must be open when using this inlet."

These guys seem to have a better idea of how this functions. Post over there if it still seems to be a problem. I do not know that the photo is same as the factory installed version.

takeachance? How long after starting the water does it take for the overflow to occur?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have used our black tank flusher a half-dozen times this summer and let it run for five to ten minutes and always finish by closing the tank valve for a couple of minutes to allow water to build up to get anything left in the tank to wash out of the sewer hose. I've never had anything like you describe. It sounds like one of your connections is leaking or didn't get a good seal before it enters the black tank. It doesn't sound like the water is coming from the black tank...you would know that by the smell real quick.

BTW, don't forget the latex gloves and hand sanitizer after you finish. They are my friends.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I remember waiting in line at the dump station when Yukionna had her black flush connected and water started leaking out the bottom. I guarantee she knows the answer to this one. Yuki, you out there?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
You may have an issue with the back flow preventer that is in the line leading from the hose connection on the outside of the trailer, to the connection of that line and the black tank. If that pvb does not close when you pressure up the black tank flush line, it will leak and water will run everywhere.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Bob "Canoe Stream" to answer your question: it was only on for a couple of minutes when my sons noticed the water coming out.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Just wanted to thank everyone for your advice, turned out to be a lose connection to the vaccum valve. Wow, what poor quality control, you'd think that wouuld be something they would check.

Thanks again,

Scott
Old 11-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi takeachange...

you beat me to the answer...

yep there is a one way backflow/vacuum valve of some sort at the HIGH point for the btf system...

mine is under the bathroom sink....just above the streetside ports.

anyway mine also leaked there...just as you describe.

flooded the works...

leaks at that point can be a loose fitting or build/tank debris that blocks the valve open...

mine was repaired a few months ago...and then did not work at all

turns out the valve was replaced and installed BACKWARDS....

so no flow period.

this was repaired at the factory...so now it works...

keep an eye on this contraption....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote