Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #1

1984 31' Sovereign
Brownsburg , Indiana
Smile Proud new Airstreamer...

Hello Fellow Airstreamers,
As this is my first post here I would like to share with you how I have now become this sites number one fan, but before I do I would like to thank you all for unknowingly helping me in so many ways already.

Thank you!!!!

Now for a little history... My Mom and Dad currently have 2 Airstreams, the first one is a late 60's Caravel my dad bought about 10 years ago abd the second is a 72 31 foot Land Yacht. They are both avid caravaners and take off for months at a time. They are currently on a caravan that started in July in the north eastern US and has them now in Canada where they will be until the end of August. My family (wife and two young children) have enjoyed camping with them a couple of weekends a year for a while now.

August 12, 2007... I spot an add in the local paper for a 25 foot 83 Airstream that needs some interior work, the asking price $3000. I thought about it and gave them a call. He told me where I could look at it, so I went right over. Here is where it gets interesting. What I found was a very unkept 31 foot soveriegn with no interior at all. The gentalmen selling it had recieved it as payment for a debt so he could not tell me anything about it nor did he have any idea about where any of the missing interior parts could be found. I had mycamera so I took a bunch of pix and posted them on the web for my Dad to check out and let me know if he thought I should go for it. He was very excited that I was considering an Airstream.

Skip ahead... I bought the trailor for $1500 went right to a trailor store and bought a new cord to connect to my SUV along with a bigger ball for my hitch. (the first of my expenses). I hooked up the trailor and all of the lights worked so I began my 30 mile trip home. AsI was exiting the alley it was parked in I noticed the bumper from the tralor sticking out of the wheel well of a car parked in the alley. Nice I said to myself as I went about two miles down the road to find a place to turn the rig around to go back and find the owner of that car and see what kind of magnet they must have under the hood. He he.I can laugh about it now but he didn't think it was too funny when I let him know that I just wrecked his car.

Moving right along.....

Over the last month I have cleaned it from top to bottom, inside and out.
I have bought new tires, lights, awning spring, door gaskets, a new level for the outside. I have sealed some leaks and managed to reattach the bumper get a new license plate bracket along with a shiny new license plate. As for the inside I have finished where the PO left off and removed all of the curtain rails and everything else that could be removed so I could start from scratch rehabing the insides. I fixed some bad spots on the floor layed down some .25 inch subfloor and painted the intire interrior white. I have purchased a new 3 way fridge, a china toilet, new electrical outlets and light fixtures, a new battery, power converter/charger, a water pump, cook top, microwave/ convection oven, laminant flooring and a bunch of wood (popular) to rebuild the cabinets and walls etc.

How did I know what to buy? you might be asking yourself, well I will tell you. I knew what to get because I have been reading the posts on this site constanty since I purchased my Airstream last month. I have also placed many calls to my parents. Thanks again for all of the help and I will keep you posted on my progress. If I can figure out how to upload some pix I will definately do that, I have been taking them since the first time I viewed my Airstream.

I will also not be a stranger to this site as I have many more things to buy like a goucho, beds, blinds/curtains, and kichen and bath fixtures. I am also considering replacing the water heater and furnace as it will never be easier than it is right now. Surprisingly the air conditioner works very well.

Currently I am framing out the back twin beds and I started framing in the cabinets around the new fridge but I am now waiting for the microwave to arrive so I can see how big to make that space. My brother is coming up this weekend and bringing with him a 4 x 6 sheet of aluminum my dad had laying around. I am going to put it on the wall behind the kitchen sink/ stove area and if all goes well I may be puting it on all of the walls. I don't know how big of a job it is to replace the interior skin so that will be the determing factor to see if I can do all of the walls. My plan is to make the interior much like the new Airstream CCD's but with my own personnel touch. Sorry for the longest first post ever but as you can tell, if you are still reading this, i am very excited about our new Airstream and I am anxious to get it finished so I can get the family out and about in it.

Oh I almost forgot.. One of the other things I have done is joined the WBCCI. Couldn't wait to do that.

Thanks again for all of the help and I will keep you posted....

Okay, I have uploaded some of my pictures to the gallery, if I don't have my own gallery do a search for " Schwartz Airstream " to see all of my pix...

Schwartz
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #2

1984 31' Sovereign
Brownsburg , Indiana
A couple of pix of my new Airstream

Here is a picture of the first time we met.

And from a week ago after I had cleaned her up and started painting the interior etc.

Let me know what you think of my new hobby.

Schwartz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03876.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	42801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03853.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	42802  

Name:	DSC03962.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	738.8 KB
ID:	42803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC0396128.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	745.9 KB
ID:	42804  

Name:	DSC03892.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	42805   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03894.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	42806  

Name:	DSC0396734.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	786.3 KB
ID:	42807  
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
New hobby? No my friend it is an addiction.

Welcome in!

You are certainly in the right place for all the info you may want.

I go to WBCCI and Forum rallies and both are fun. Don't limit yourself.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Welcome to the forums and you are off to a great start.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Welcome to the cult......err club. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. But what you have done so far looks great. Your unit cleaned up nice. From the looks of it your axles appear to be in good shape which is one the big expenses of the refurbishment with these units. Good luck with your project and don’t be afraid to ask, there is more expertise here for anything than you could ever need. We all love helping.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Wow! This is not a project for the faint of heart. Great job so far and keep us posted on your progress. We're happy to have you here!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome to the Forums

Your posts are excellent! You have made a great start. The fun part is just beginning.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ahh a "Blank Slate". I love it. I am hoping to do one of those some day.... good luck keep the updates coming.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
WOW! You are an inspiration! I love the 'blank slate' concept...have fun!
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote