Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Congratulations. Will you sleep tonight thinking about tomorrow?

Suggestions:

Stay at or near the dealer for a day or two. Write out questions and go over everything. Ask for more time if they don't give you enough. No one can remember all they tell you, so don't get upset with yourself because you are confused and can't remember something.

After our first night nearby, we came back to the dealer because we found some things wrong and got them fixed.

You will find more things wrong over time, so make some short trips near dealers. Go to the Airstream website, I think there's a contact number and/or e-mail for consumer relations and ask them to e-mail you the list of Airstream dealers.

Woodall's has a book on how things work and how to fix them in RV's. More than you want to know until your stuck with a problem. And then you'll know how that refrigerator works and how ammonia and hydrogen react. A useful library item for the trailer. I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon. You'll want info on campgrounds—we use AAA and Woodall's. Frommer's has one, but it's very limited. There's another guide by Trailer Life, but they are published by the same outfit that puts out Woodall's campground guide, so don't get both.

There are other books about the RV life and read one or two—lots to learn and the more books you read, the more you'll remember.

We love our Doran 360 TPMS—with one axle (I think) you really want to know if you are getting a flat or the tire is too hot (overpressure). The monitor plus 2 sensors runs around $300 for this brand or Pressure Pro.

Use a wash basin in the sink, pour the water into the toilet when boondocking. The grey water always fills first and the black tank doesn't. If you have to wait for hot water in the shower (maybe you like cold showers), try to capture the cold water in a bucket and use it for rinsing dishes (even better, wash dishes in the toilet, well, maybe not). You'll learn how to use less water quickly.

In a while, get a 12v air compressor to fill the tires in the morning. Very important to have proper air pressure. You need a compressor that can pump over 65 lbs and isn't a $20 toy. Or maybe your tires take 55 lbs, but you'll want one well over those numbers because otherwise it can take a very, very long time to fill a tire. One that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket won't do it—those sockets don't have enough amps to do it right. You need one that hooks directly on the trailer battery. We got as good one at Costco for around $65.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Hi Steve,
I think I am the lucky winner on the boat/airstream dealer you mentioned. I drove by last night and saw that they had moved my FC into position for tomorrow's detailing and systems check. I must say I am really excited.
Thanks for your tip on the Province Lands National Seashore. I love to bike so that would put that location up high on my list of places to explore.
I'll take some photographs in the next couple days and post (once I figure out how to do that on the Forums).
Thanks for take the time to write me and good luck finding your AS.
Chris
FlyingClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Thanks for the congrats, Gene!! I must say I am pretty keyed up right about now. Just want tomorrow to get here. Thanks for taking the time to pass along your "newbie tips." Very helpful. I will do as you write. Will look into an air compressor as well. Was wondering about the safety/importance of accurate/maintained tire pressure.
What are your top 5 favorite destinations you've adventured to? Thanks for your tips. Sincerely,
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
First Night ...

Congratulations! We all know how excited you are. We live in Huntington and look forward to seeing your Airstream around the area.

Concerning your first night out, consider North Beach in Burlington. You can probably get either a full or partial hookup site on a Tuesday ... but call ahead just to make sure since it is a holiday weekend. Returning to the dealership (or home) would be just a short trip and you'd have a good opportunity to check out all the systems. You could also go to Little River State Park just down Route 2 between Bolton and Waterbury, but they do not have hookups. Not the most exciting spot since it is so close to home, but your big attraction will be the Flying Cloud! You will not be sorry to spend a day or two checking everything out, learning to dump, and returning quickly for service if you need to.

Enjoy!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Dear Bd & TT's,
I am so jacked! Feel like a kid wishing the hours til Santa delivered would hurry up!! OMG.
I appreciate your suggestions about North Beach. Great idea!!! I will call them and see if I can squeeze in this week. Have a two day course in Montpeculiar on Tuesday and Wed. so perhaps Little River or something up Stowe way is possible too. Do you guys remember that night before?? Man. This is crazy! Why do we feel this?
I will bring my checklists galore :-)
What fun.
Thanks for your energy and for taking the time to write to me.
Hoping that we run into each other sometime.
SIncerely,
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Congratulations on your new FC, Chris....you're going to LOVE the Airstream lifestyle! We have lots of recommendations, but they are all West Coast. Let us know if you're ever out this way!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Hey Linda,
See. I should be asleep by now but in my unbridaled enthusiasm I am here at my mac. Goodness what anticipation! Is Ojai along the coast by chance. Seems like I've been through there before. Ten years ago I rode solo on my bike from Medford,OR to L.A. Might I have travelled through Ojai? I'd love to know your favorite places Linda. I'm compiling a list and see where the wind pushes me here in the coming months. Love that Cat Stevens tune, "Miles To Nowhere." Maybe I'll live that out a little sometime soon.
In any event, thanks for reaching out and for your enthusiasm. Looks like you and your partner have quite the love affair going on with the magic Pearl!
I'll post more thoughts after I claim my Flying Cloud tomorrow.
Gotta get some lights out.
Chris :-)
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to Airforum,com, Chris!

I've heard it suggested on here that one good idea for the first camping is to do it on the dealer's lot, because it seems almost certain that, with all the little parts and bits on a device as complex as an AS, you will find some things that need attention right away.

By using the TT overnight, you will almost certainly make most or all of the systems operate, and could save some time getting them put right. Most dealers will welcome you as a guest, from what I hear. You could spend some time reading Woodall's!

Just a crazy idea from a crazy Canadian...

edit: oops, I see that Gene already suggested this tactic. So, is it "great minds think alike" or "fools seldom differ", Gene?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aage and I are just repeating what other fools with great minds have said in the past.

Chris, by now you have your FC and maybe you'll finally get excited about it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
As we all sit here waiting for the results!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Chris: Ojai is inland from Ventura. The ride from the beach to Ojai is 15 miles...slightly up hill! It's a workout! Of course if you're riding from Medford to LA...it's a piece of cake!
ps - did you invest in Cat's just released CD?
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Stores and Stock

Corning Ware of the vintage variety can be used in the oven, stove top, or the microwave and it can go in the freezer until time for cooking. You can find it at garage sales, flea markets, and ebay. The gripping type shelf liner cut for each piece allows it to stack, protects it and we keep our in the oven when not using it. Not a single piece lost to date. Be sure you get a couple of detachable handles when you see them. They don't make the vintage stuff anymore but there is a lot of it out there.

A good TV/DVD combo is good on the road if you like to keep up with the news and local weather. We recently bought a 19 inch HDTV combo on Amazon replacing our older Analog TV and separate DVD/VCR combo. Buy according to your space allowances and your needs. Radio, one with weather band or alert can and has been invaluable for us in the past with hail and tornado in the state of Texas. You sound as though you have energy to spare, climbing and hiking so you may not need any of those items.

Comfortable folding chairs, tables, lights, etc. Most of us on this sight have the best we can afford in our rigs and my justification is, "why spend as much as you have on your rig and not carefully stock it with good quality items?" Keep a journal of your trips on your laptop complete with photography, and it will make for interesting reading later on.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
north shore , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We dry camp three nights at a stretch all the time with no problem. You learn to take efficient showers! My wife is on Cape Cod for nine nights right now dry camping but taking some showers in the campground facilities. She may also have to start up the generator at some point.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
is she at nickerson s.p. ?
i'm headed there 6/5 and it's wonderful
vunico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
What fun to be getting your new Airstream! It is great to see your enthusiasm I'm thinking you are out camping right now. I hope to see more with pictures after your return. You lucky duck!!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
GOSH,,,Is he still camping with it?? Been several weeks since we heard a word out of him...........