Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Parking airstream while building cottage

Hello out there, checking in from southern Ontario, Canada. I am in the process of purchasing some land in the Maritimes and want to put a good sized airstream there as our home away from home while we sort out building a cottage. Could take 2-5 years to build. Not sure about grey water, black water/sewage and electrical hook-ups when we get hydro in the spring (maybe a short post from the line with a local electrician?) My wife and I are tall people so decent head room is important. That and a million other questions. I guess the most important is what trailer size and type would anyone recommend? Thanks a lot hope to hear from you..
brilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure I would recommend an Airstream for that use.

The cost of the unit for the room you get will be a lot higher than a used SOB box. Storage space is at a min.
Not a good idea to place an Airstream for a long time unless you get it off the axles.
Buy a used box and bank the difference and buy an Airstream when your done.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Not an electrician; but a contractor who has wired and plumbed houses. You will need a drop with a minimum of 30amps; preferably 50 for a newer trailer. Since you will be full-timing, you will need waste disposal, or have to hook up and move to a dump station. (There are portable tanks, but that gets messy for black water). Best thing to do is put in septic, or a sizable holding tank (depending on local code) that can be cleaned out periodically by a septic service company.

Also, a well would keep you from having to bring in potable water. The electric driving the well (assuming you don't have city water) would come off the same box as your power supply for the trailer.

Size wise, about 31' is the best you're going to do. Hope you and the misses can hunker down in a confined space.

Nick
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Tall People

HowieE is right. Buy a disposable box for the temporary cottage. Get the Airstream when you are ready to travel.

I am 6'3" and I can stand up in our Airstream without rubbing the ceiling with my head but have to dodge the AC unit and the light fixtures. Ours is 78" at the center--it obviously is less closer to the outer walls because of the rounded shape. The entry door is a different matter. A moment of inattention results in a pretty good bang to the noggin.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilly View Post
Hello out there, checking in from southern Ontario, Canada. I am in the process of purchasing some land in the Maritimes and want to put a good sized airstream there as our home away from home while we sort out building a cottage. Could take 2-5 years to build. Not sure about grey water, black water/sewage and electrical hook-ups when we get hydro in the spring (maybe a short post from the line with a local electrician?) My wife and I are tall people so decent head room is important. That and a million other questions. I guess the most important is what trailer size and type would anyone recommend? Thanks a lot hope to hear from you..
We have an interesting Airstream for a tall person. It's a 1960, 28' Ambassador that was built for a tall person. The one bed is 6' 6" the other is 6'. There are no lights or AC on the ceiling to dodge. It's 6'7" floor to ceiling. It has spring axls so no worry about sitting for a long time. All kinds of storage drawers and closets.
Your welcome to visit to see the different trailers as I have 5 here right now and we're not far away, just outside of Stratford.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Wow, thanks crew, some good suggestions. What's a portable box? We will be seasonal, about 5-10 times over the year. I would have to put in a septic and well anyway, so I guess you can plumb right in, and I can get up to 200amps of service. It's rural, and 10 acres.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the Ambassador?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
When people mention a "portable box" I think they are recommending you use one of the standard "white box" trailers out there on the market for this purpose. Some Airstreamers refer to these as "SOBs" or "Same Old Box" since they lack the iconic Airstream "silver bullet" shape.

But, since they are not curved, they offer more room, and cost less money, than an Airstream. Generally speaking they don't tow as well, so that's why people are saying the white box trailers would make a good temporary cottage, and that once you are ready to travel with a trailer, the Airstream then becomes the better option.

For me personally, I'd still go with an Airstream as a temporary cottage, simply because I think they look much cooler.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Ah ha, same old box, got it..

Thanks Marcus for clarifying, makes a ton of sense why and why not to have one. I agree about the cooler factor, if I go trailer it has to be an Airstream. I just can't see standing around apres surf with a cold one, admiring an S.U.B.

Mind you, the cost of a clean Airstream ready to go is surprising. I feel I have a lot to learn about not only Airstreams but the whole process of creating infrastructure for it and a cottage. Thanks again to all for the input.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
There is a lot informatiion on here about winterizing and one young college couple who fulltime andhave a wood burning fireplace. Have fun reading and reading. Good Luck !
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
There is a lot informatiion on here about winterizing and one young college couple who fulltime andhave a wood burning fireplace. Have fun reading and reading. Good Luck !

This the one Dannie?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...hlight=Vermont

Very interesting thread.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Yes, thanks Kevin. happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
How about this idea.

Find a vintage shell - that needs work but still solid. Not too big but not too small either. Some cabinetry that you could use like the beds and bathroom. You could customize the kitchen area and pop in normal furniture for the front to give you more room.

If you found some half decent appliances to pop in there while you build your cottage, you would have all the comforts of home - with out the huge expense.
Once your cottage is built you could then take the airstream to its restoration completion.....

I have just the deal for you.

Due to a crisis to long to mention here - we are having to sell every thing we own - including our intended project - a 1961 26' Overlander, that we were going to re-fit with newer appliances from a 2000 excella. But now it all has to go - and go quick and most certainly at a great deal!

So if you have a garage and have time to work on a few things to get her up to snuff - she is already road ready with new running gear, her AC power inside works. We did see the 12 volt hooked up and working but we never bought the special battery that fits in the front case for it. It was our intent to put in a dual battery system under the front couch area like in the excellas.

Anyway I know there is a classified section - but I just read your search and thought I would drop you the idea first. But we will be listing all these parts in the next week - either here or on e-bay.

PS for those who know us - nope we are not letting the LadyBug go YET. But everything else must go relating to our Hybrid project and many extra vintage parts that came out of the lady bug and others I have accumulated along the way.

And definitely not letting the ModPod go either - as she may become our only hope for a place to live - OMG that will be tight - maybe we could come to your new 10 acres and share in the building of your cottage.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
There are a few pictures still in the images folder - on page 1 and 2.

I have taken the hardware off the cupboards and the closet doors. We also purchased a whole slew of parts from Vintage Trailer supply for the windows and door and exterior lights etc.

Well just a thought anyway - pm me if you might be interested. I am in the process of taking a serious of photos (if it would stop raining for two minutes) and putting together a list of the parts and appliances that we would package together for a lump price.

for a bit of gas money I would even deliver it - anywhere!! -

Ha now if someone from SC is interested
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Vintage shell, great idea!

Hi P and S,

Thanks a lot, and to Dannie too. Sorry, I've been moving our offices the last couple of days and it was all consuming. I'm playing catch-up here, I just peek at the link about wintering it in Vermont, and have not viewed any pics. I agree with the posters saying it'll get too hot. I stay in a friends loft style 2 storey beach house while down east, and the small fairly old wood stove cooks the place good after about 10 logs..

Your thinking about the shell idea ready to customize is great, and thank-you for the offer on your 26ft.

Optimally, I would like to source an Airstream in the Maritimes or at least the NE to reduce towing costs etc, and not having a place to work on it to bring it up to snuff, the condition would need to be "good to go" That being said, Let me have a look see and I'll get back to you.. All the best,

G.