Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Our First 'Stream

I've made a couple of posts and PM'ed a few local Austin folks, but now it's finally official. We dragged our 2006 28' International CCD home yesterday. (To our neighbors, it'll only be parked out front for a couple of days, so don't worry. Besides, it raises the cool factor for our subdivision.)

The maiden voyage, with the 2000 Ford F-250 pulling, was uneventful, save for a bit of white-knuckle driving around some construction areas. Made the 217-mile trip in just under four hours and a bit under 3/4-tank of gas. I knew we'd be taking our time, but we stayed between 60 and 65 mph for most of the trip. All in all, I'm psyched with how well the truck pulled. (Of course, I've never towed anything in my life, so I wouldn't know any better.)

One thing you may notice if you check out the picture I posted in the gallery (I'll try to add a few here as well), is that the PO added a second A/C unit to the trailer. So, we've got the original unit in the bedroom, and the additional 13,500 unit in front. To do this, the PO also added 50-amp service to the trailer. Twenty-eight feet of trailer. Two A/C units. 50-amp service. Nice.

Got the rig home and parked it out front. This morning, after a bit of rain last night, I noticed a small leak under the front skylight. I climbed the ladder to check out the skylight, but couldn't really find any obvious sources of the leak. Any ideas?

So, does anyone in Austin want to come by and teach me how to use this thing? I'll supply the beer. (Honestly, I've got a good handle on a few things, but wouldn't mind some pointers on some things.)

Anyway, I'm glad to be an official, 'Stream-owning member of the boards. I'll keep you all up to date with our adventures.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Very Nice - Congrats....

Wish I could take you up on the beer offer.

Get to a rally - plenty of help will pop up when there is beer.

Safe travels
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Well, I can't come to Texas, but congrats on your new front yard attraction.
Take care,
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Congrats

Congrats on your new purchase. It looks like a real beauty!! We would love to see some interior pictures. I wish I could help but Texas is a little far from here. Good luck and enjoy!!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Okay, my HTML skills are failing me. Here are links to some pictures…

http://www.proofcreative.com/as_pics/exterior.jpg

http://www.proofcreative.com/as_pics/bed_left.jpg

http://www.proofcreative.com/as_pics/kitchen_lr.jpg

http://www.proofcreative.com/as_pics/sofa.jpg

http://www.proofcreative.com/as_pics/crapper.jpg
Old 08-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Great pictures. I'm glad you are not my neighbor or I would have to go back to Church tonight for coveting your Airstream. Man, that is gorgeous!!!!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome Back From the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby.

If I were a little closer to Austin, I'd take you up on the beer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Beeee-utiful! Congratulations! You're neighbors are going to be green with envy...be sure to give them a tour and they won't bother you about it being parked there when it needs to be... You'll figure out the small stuff, but it sure would be fun to come by and see it...if it just wasn't so far...

See you down the road...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
You have about 80 members of an Airstream Club living all around you. The Texas Highland Lakes Unit membership is centered around the Austin, Geogetown and Wimberly area. Many of them are active members of this forum including Pahaska, Whitsend and GStephens to name a few. Pahaska is also known as John Irwin who writes articles each issue for the magazine, Airstream Life and is the webmaster for both our Region and Unit.Texas Highland Lakes is the only unit in the entire Texas/Oklahoma area to have experienced a steady growth over the past ten year period. It is a diverse bunch of all ages and interests who not only have their scheduled rallies throughout the year, but conduct numerous small unofficial rallies consisting of two to ten member families at the drop of a hat all year long. Both official and unoffical rallies are held for the most part over the weekends so as to better accomodate working members. Five member trailers are heading to Ruidosa together for a couple of weeks this next weekend, as an example. If you think you'd be interested in membership in this group where your questions can be readily answered, send me a Private Message by clicking on my forums name and giving me an email address or some way of contacting you and I'll get you more information.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
I've made a couple of posts and PM'ed a few local Austin folks, but now it's finally official. We dragged our 2006 28' International CCD home yesterday. (To our neighbors, it'll only be parked out front for a couple of days, so don't worry. Besides, it raises the cool factor for our subdivision.)

The maiden voyage, with the 2000 Ford F-250 pulling, was uneventful, save for a bit of white-knuckle driving around some construction areas. Made the 217-mile trip in just under four hours and a bit under 3/4-tank of gas. I knew we'd be taking our time, but we stayed between 60 and 65 mph for most of the trip. All in all, I'm psyched with how well the truck pulled. (Of course, I've never towed anything in my life, so I wouldn't know any better.)

Got the rig home and parked it out front. This morning, after a bit of rain last night, I noticed a small leak under the front skylight. I climbed the ladder to check out the skylight, but couldn't really find any obvious sources of the leak. Any ideas?

--SM
The ceiling vent covers have a bad habit of cracking. Many owners have had the same problem.

The after market replacement is several times thicker, therefore doesn't have the crack problem.

Your photo shows that you have a Reese hitch.

With your HD tow vehicle you should not be using torsion bars that are more than 600 pounds. There is a number of posts on these Forums, that go into hitch details.

A larger rating torsion arm setup, will "not" provide better handling, plus it will cause a number of damages to the trailer because of the rigidity.

Airstreams love a soft ride, or else.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Bump!
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Congrats!

Quote:
So, does anyone in Austin want to come by and teach me how to use this thing? I'll supply the beer. (Honestly, I've got a good handle on a few things, but wouldn't mind some pointers on some things.)
--SM
Congrats on the new unit!!!

As a fellow Austinite, What subdivision are you in and where do you plan to store your trailer? I have mine stored in covered with 20A in Round Rock. I live in NW Austin (Spicewood and 183) and am allowed to keep mine at the home, but my driveway isn't long enough and I don't want to pau 10K for a driveway on a slope....

Buy getting back to your trailer, If you need some pointers on stuff, let me know. I'm always up for a reason to pull the trailer out.

Maybe we you want to grab a campsite at McKinny Falls State park or at Lake Georgetown COE park this weekend? If you do, I can pull my rig out too....

Jaxon is also a fellow Austinite and we may be able to get him to pull his classic to meet you too!!

Kevin
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Kevin (and GStephens),

Thanks for the warm Austin welcome. I'm down in SW Austin near Circle C at the moment, but will soon be "full-timing" in the AS for the rest of August, September and October. The wife and I (and 2 Italian Greyhounds) will be heading up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for work. The problem is, we may be leaving Friday, or possibly Monday next.

So, anyone up for a beer Thursday night?

--SM
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Kevin (and GStephens),

Thanks for the warm Austin welcome. I'm down in SW Austin near Circle C at the moment, but will soon be "full-timing" in the AS for the rest of August, September and October. The wife and I (and 2 Italian Greyhounds) will be heading up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for work. The problem is, we may be leaving Friday, or possibly Monday next.

So, anyone up for a beer Thursday night?

--SM
I am so jealous of you and the wife. I am sure my girls (the 2 mentioned in my signature) are jealous of the greyhounds.

You gonna be ready for a 3 month full time in the new trailer and new truck by this Friday?

I wish I could have a beer with you on Thurs, but I have a conference call with Asia that night.... (Note to self: get out of high tech world)

Well, if you change your mind or end up in Austin till Monday, let me know, otherwise, have a great safe trip!

P.S. Bring a list of vets (I use AHAA listing supplemented with yellow pages listings - most pdf'd on a USB key) in the cities you plan to stay in along the way, as well as the vaccination records - makes traveling with the pups much easier and less dramatic if one of them needs to see the doctor... ask me how I know this....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ready? I guess we'll find out. We've spent the last few days going over both the truck and trailer making sure we have everything we need (a list put together thanks to researching this site, reading lots of books and talking to a bunch of "full-timers").

Thanks for the tip on the dog stuff. I've located an AHAA facility where we're headed, and all the shots and records are packed and ready to go.

One thing we have decided to do is to ship (UPS) all non-essential items (things we won't need on the road) to Wyoming. We want to make the load in the trailer and truck as light as possible, within reason.

So, I think we're as ready as we can be. But I suppose we'll find out.

--SM