Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Our First Airstream

We just bought our very first trailer ever, it is a 1967 Caravel. We are very excited not sure what to do yet but excited. One question I have to throw out there is if you have a vintage trailer should you keep it true to that period or can you update to new things. Our oven might need to be replaced should we try to find an older one that is true to the year of the trailer?
ctarochione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Lordy....the $6M question. My guess is you will get a 50 / 50 split of opinions on this one. Me...I say you get to do whatever you want. Its yours. We change something all the time, and we like it.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome to the vintage little tin trailer club. My 1964 Bambi II is basically the same as yours. My personal opinion is that the Caravels are laid out better. I am not particularly concerned with restoring to original looks and condition. The newer electronics, appliances, lighting etc. are much better than the originals that came in our old trailers. So I guess it is up to you how you want to go with your repairs and updates.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
My Excella II is anything but original!

I hardly doubt youll ever come across a point in time that a guy with a million dollars to blow is looking to buy a Caravel that is 100% original. Throw some modern equipment at it! Itd probably be cheaper anyhow
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Our First Airstream

Greetings ctarochione!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarochione View Post
We just bought our very first trailer ever, it is a 1967 Caravel. We are very excited not sure what to do yet but excited. One question I have to throw out there is if you have a vintage trailer should you keep it true to that period or can you update to new things. Our oven might need to be replaced should we try to find an older one that is true to the year of the trailer?
There isn't the pressure within Vintage trailer collecting to keep everything absolutely original as there is in the Vintage car collector hobby. Most of us with Vintage Airstreams and Argosys update as necessary to keep the trailers useful and safe. Typically the only coaches where it is important to maintain originality are those that are very (think pre-WW II) old or have some historical significance (experimental/prototype, prominent former owner, participated in one of the major caravans -- Around the World, Capetown to Cairo, etc.).

My suggestion would be to thoroughly clean your range and oven. During that cleaning, look for gas valves . . . there may be several. Often the problem encountered with our Vintage ranges and ovens is that one of the LP Gas supply valves on the unit is in the off position . . . there is typically a valve that supplies the rangetop burners, and another valve that supplies the oven pilot and burner. If your coach didn't come with instruction manuals for any of your appliances, post the make--model number, and descriptive information and you will likely find a Forums member who will share a copy of their manual if one isn't already available on the Web.

My coaches are both examples where most of the original appliances have been replaced with modern substitutes. The only original appliance in my Overlander is its range and oven (the oven has probably only been used twice in the life of the trailer as the original owner hated gas fueled appliances and rarely used any of the gas appliances in the coach). My Argosy Minuet has its original Dometic 2-Way RV refrigerator, range/oven, and furnace -- its original PAR water pump has been rebuilt many times. The Argosy's range/oven has seen even less use than the unit in the Overlander.

Both of my trailers were very well preserved originals when I pruchased them. I was the third owner of the Overlander and the second owner of the Minuet. Since they were in such good overall condition, I tried to keep the original cabinetry and features as original as possible . . . but all of the upholstery, foam, and drapes are new and feature modern fabrics and colors. The floor in the Overlander is covered with modern Congoleum sheet vinyl while the Minuet features Armstrong Laminate floor covering.

Good luck with your Airstream!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would do what makes the trailer comfortable for you. We gutted ours and are rebuilding the interior to our needs. Do what works best for you.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
change is inevitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarochione View Post
I was very happy to find mine all original in the shape it was in but have seen so many refurbed using IKEA stuff that my gears have turned a little when I want to replace a countertop or other changes. If it isn't a significant trailer have at it to suit your needs and likes. To each their own. Happy streaming.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The value of my trailer is to the current owner, not the future buyer.

There certainly is an Airstream cult of purity. I'm not a member of that group. I'm not into elliptical abstract interiors either.

Best wishes in all you do.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote