Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
You know..

I have to agree with Liepper. I don't see the need for a 1 ton truck for a 19ft trailer. I always go back to the "old days" of trailering even big 30ft trailers with a car. Yes, they had a full rail frame, but...
they were not as ridgid torsionally
they had awful brakes, handeling, and poor (for the most part) acceration
they had poor cooling
I'm sure the old bias ply tires were not rated for a particular weight factor
w/d was still in it's infancy

I still don't see why a Dodge Magnum, Charger (which I'd love to tow with) or Chrysler 300 couldn't do the job, safely? If the hitch load could be distributed well on the unibody (so it wouldn't pull apart), think of the lower center of gravity, lower drag resistance and better fuel economy it would have.

They have big disk brakes.... I wonder about the tranny and cooling though. I can't see why the big 3 can't make it happen.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We may never see another B-Body type car from GM again. The reason is that the profit on the civi cars that were half ton rated was too small compared to the SUV/light truck counterparts.

As you see now, GM is even changing directions again by totally dropping the 8.1L in the 3/4 ton Suburban line and increasing the output of the 6.0L. No diesel....yet, but it's just around the corner, but that truck if it ever comes to be will be like the 3/4 cargo vans....one Duramax version behind, mated to a non Allision trans.....why? To get you to buy a 2500HD.

All boils down to $$$.

I think if we are looking at facts and real world senarios with the vehicle in question, one doesn't have to look much further than this thread where an acutal owner of an Odyssey said:

"Based on this extensive experience, I would urge you not to tow the Bambi with the Odyssey for many of the reasons listed on this thread."

I agree that there are some blanket statements being made, but at the same time, I also see folks trying to start something online which is counterproductive, but typical.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Marc, I totally agree, few even need a 1 ton for even a 34' Airstream. I don't think we are comparing Apples to Apples here though. First, the good old days had nothing but Detriot pig iron with robust frames, big engines, etc. At the same time, trailers, particularly Airstream trailers did weigh less than the units of today.

Today, there are several great cars with lots of power, but as you said, they haven't been engineered to be tow vehicles. The answer as I see it is $$$. Dodge, GM, Ford have higher profit truck they want you to buy. Profit on most (read not all) cars is less than that of the SUVs and trucks. Engineering a car to do what the trucks or SUVs can do or close to it is a waste of money to them and in todays reality of fuel prices and fleet averages they have to meet, it just doesn't make $$ sense at all to them. That's why for the last 10 years GM walked away from the body on frame cars. I have 2 body on frame 1996 GM B-Body cars with gobs of horsepower, torque, etc....even with the power though, it still has limitiations just like any tow vehicle where there is a lack of wheelbase, weight, etc. Engine performance is just one of the factors. But I agree, it was a blast in perfect conditions towing with my Impala SS as it would be with the cars you've suggested. With a 19' Bambi, the SS was a champ. With the 25' Safari, it was grossly overmatched in weight and short wheelbase and in wind conditions, I needed a vacation just from going on vacation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
I am just waiting for GM or somebody to offer a sedan style designed for towing (like they used to). Instead the market seems to be towards luxury appointed pickups. I wonder why. What do people like about having to step up a few feet to get into their tow vehicle and having an open to the air storage in back? -- I think an evil grin goes in here somewhere ...
Bryan,

I think it is because of CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). Trucks, mini vans and suv's (including the Chevrolet HHP and Chrysler PT Cruiser) are in one class with lower economy requirements and cars are in another with higher economy requirements. That is why cars have been downsized and have at the most 3500 lbs tow capacity and some full size cars only 1,000 lbs. I believe that changes are coming with several standards based on GVW and not on vehicle type.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Let's remember this person asked about a specific TT and TV. The combo mentioned was above listed weight limits and not safe, that is the bottom line. If they are researching a future purchase the best way we can help is to offer suggestion to guide them based on our experience. Hopefuly our collective "wisdom" can save them some time, $, and quite possibly a horrific accident.
There is no point in making blanket statements about FWD, small cars, big cars, etc, etc.
The numbers for the vehicles they inquired about do not leave any grey areas.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oh yes...

the Odessey would not be a good choice... I see their tails dragging with tent campers around here. Now the Ridgeline may be a better choice.... I also hear that the new Acura MDX (and I'm assuming the Pilot) will have a 6000 # rating.... but that's just rumor for now.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
-According to the logic I see here....

-I wonder which way this thread will go ...

-Or will maybe, this time, just for once, those with very strong views will temper their enthusiasm a tad, hold back on the absolute and binary pronouncements, consider matters of judgment, allow for complexity in the issue, and honor actual experience?
hi bryan....

now really, aren't you overstating things a bit,
while pointing out how things are overstated in this thread?

while not offering the questioner ANY thing?

some who have strong views have tempered their enthusiasm a tad, held back on absolutes and made no binary pronouncements....

so skip the rhetoric...just one time and step up....

do you think it advisable for judy to tow a new bambi with a odyessy?
yes, no, maybe, perhaps, only with special fabrications....anything.....?

she has only given us limited info in the starter post.

perhaps she only plans to tow it home 5 miles on the flat....

or maybe she's planning to cross the rockies weekly....

she asked for actual user experience. so far only marshall fits that bill here. his suggestion is not to go with the odyessy. did you miss that? reasonable advice from a user without any brimstone....

can am does some amazing things. yes a w/d hitch can be integrated into or welded onto a unibody...

but the fabricator/installer REALLY needs to know their stuff, to get this right. right?

fwd can tow and fwds do tow...again getting the equipment and setup balanced is the key.

understanding parts will wear faster, that tires, wheels, axles, brakes, tranny, coolers and all the other related parts are affected isn't always obvious.

also judy can search the towing threads here, get advice from pros not salespeople, consider all the other variables....

and hopefull sort out for herself which posts are reasonable in this thread...

and which are not...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
But then, isn't using a vehicle rated for a 15k lb tow rather overkill for a 5k lb trailer? ...
My VISA card has a $25,000 credit limit, is it overkill to buy a pair of jeans with it and pay it off every month?

I have an Airstream with a gvwr of 8,400# and a 3/4 ton tow vehicle with a PSD and tow rating of 12,500#, is that overkill? I wouldn't have it any other way!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
If we were facing each other at a rally we would most likely walk away from this in better-sounding agreement. Judy, I have no doubt that you now have a better idea. Yes, Marshall Schwarz seems to have said it all in his post #10.

Nobody has suggested towing a Bambi with a 3/4 ton as far as I have read -- though some said they do tow with that.

Judy, I certainly hope you post again and again -- and find a combo you love!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #30
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Nobody has suggested towing a Bambi with a 3/4 ton as far as I have read -- though some said they do tow with that.

Judy, I certainly hope you post again and again -- and find a combo you love!
I didn't mean to infer that you should get a 3/4 ton tow vehicle for a Bambi. I do know of someone who does tow a vintage Bambi with a 3/4 ton, but I will be the first to say that is overkill unless you have the 3/4 ton first and then decide on the Bambi.

Many have made suggestions for good tow vehicles for a new Bambi that would be a better alternative to the Odessy and I agree with their suggestions. A good used, dedicated tow vehicle is a good suggestion, also. A mid to late '90's Surburban or Expedition would do nicely and prove very useful at other times as well. Perhaps not as a daily driver because of economy, though.

In the end, you and your family will have to make the decision. You asked if anyone was using an Odessy to tow with and so far only one person responded with negative experiences. That should tell you something about the wisdom of it. If you are looking for afirmation about how great it can be and wonderful the economy is with the Odessy, it doesn't look like there is anyone who has had that kind of experience.

Good luck with your decision and hope to see you posting about your purchase of a Bambi in the near future. I think you will love Airstreaming like the rest of us. Tell us of your experience, good or bad.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
As the owner of TWO Honda Odyssey's (2000,2004), I have reviewed my own trailer options. I am not a fan of Pop-ups. There are really only two options.

Argosy Minuet (Late 70's and light weight)
Casita Travel Trailer (small, well built fiberglass units)

TrailerLife did an article a few years ago on the Odyssey/Casita combination. They liked the combination.

This is from the Casita Club.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #32
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
Salmon Arm , BC
My Odyssey experience

I tow a 69 Caravel with a 99 Odyssey and here is some other thing that I have experienced

Unlike the Ridgeline which is a small truck, and Odyssey is a really big car (Accord on steroids) They all share many of the parts. I have done a few mods to make my Odyssey more truck like. 1st change (but not necessary) I added Airlift (Firestone Coil rite) helper springs in the back. This has stiffened up the rear end & given it a nice even ride height while towing. I also installed Monroe Reflex shocks & struts which are more of a truck shock than a car. The biggest caution I have is selecting tires. When I switch to my summer tire I had huge wear issues with my ½ worn Goodyears. I tried to find a SUV or truck tire in my size but only one available, so I went with the stiffest car tire I could find. I needed to replace shocks & struts and tire this year, the trailer just made it happen a little sooner than planned.

I love my Odyssey and think it the best vehicle I have ever owned. I may eventually upgrade but for now I feel safe with my combination. I also just installed a new Reese hitch with wt dist bars and will get my Reese Straitline installed this week. Tekonsha P3 controller.

I have towed over 3,000 mile up some big hills & thru some windy area’s and have yet to experience sway. (I do have a friction sway controller installed right now but will be installing a strait line just to be safe)

I also experience a tire blow out on the A/S @ 65MPH and the van kept the trailer strait and came to a smooth safe stop. It sure is a good idea to change your trailer tire when you get a new to you trailer, then you know what you have. Tire separated like a toupee in a windstorm! The only damage was a couple of popped rivets in the belly pan.
G-STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations on your new to you Airstream. The Caravels are really popular and quite handsome in their own rights. Glad everything went OK with the blow out. In truth, that is one of my biggest fears...a blow out on the trailer. Not because of handling, but for fear of damage to the trailer's wheel well or belly pan.

Now, let's see some pictures!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Saint James , New York
Send a message via MSN to Byteman
I tow with a 2005 Odyssey. My trailer is a 31' 85 Excella. I have not experienced any of the above mentioned problems with this combo at this time. However, I have less than 2k on it as a tow rig. I have not experienced any of the above mentioned issues at this time
Byteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

St thomas , Ont.
What mods did you need to do to your 2005 Ody to pull a 31' trailer?
airbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Saint James , New York
Send a message via MSN to Byteman
2005 Odyssey Tow Vehicle

I brought my vehicle to CAN AM RV. They installed a thick support bar from behind the hitch to the axle. My assumption is that this just adds support from push and pulling on the hitch providing further rigidity to the trailer / tow vehicle connection.

Additionally, on my purchase of the Odyssey I had the tow package installed. I know that a tranny cooler is part of this. Hope the information helps.

P. S. you have an odyssey? What are you looking to tow?
Byteman is offline   Reply With Quote