Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Creswell , Oregon
NW Newb - Searching for trailer - TV question

Hello,

We are in the market to switch from our current Arctic Fox slide in truck camper to an Airstream. I have always just loved them and recently decided to start looking for one more seriously. We are preparing for more long term camping in our retirement and also plan an extended trip on the Alcan. I have narrowed it down to the following: Late 90's to mid 2000's, 25 foot max, FB with queen bed, likely a classic or safari model. I am actively searching now.

I currently have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ CrewCab Short Box Duramax Diesel 4wd single rear wheel truck (which I really love). Suspension is stock except for a rear anti-sway bar. The suspension on the truck is exactly the same as a 2500 with the exception of overloads on the rear spring pack (which do not contact until the load in the bed is greater than 1500 lbs or so).

I also already own an equal-i-zer brand hitch with the 1000 lb bars. I have not used it in a while but when I did it was with an 03 Silverado 1/2 ton and a 24 foot Northwood Nash 22H travel trailer, it performed decently.

Do I have too much truck for the Trailer I mentioned above? I know the power will be excellent for towing but is my truck and the equalizer going to be overkill to the point of possibly damaging the A frame of the trailer I select. Or will this be a good combo. I do not want to sell or trade the truck if I don't have to and I do not really want to go longer or larger than a 25 footer on the trailer because of the places I want to go and the things we want to do.

Thanks for any input! Bill
envelopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Regardless ofwhat others may tell you, get 750 or less bars for your hitch and go for it. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote