Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Now What?

Well, now I feel like the dog that finally caught the car!

Right before Thanksgiving we were able to get our hands on "Cousin Eddie", a 1974 Ambassador. We got him for a great price and have only towed him home where he's been sitting in the driveway. What started as a cursory poke and prod that turned up a few soft spots in the floor has now turned into a complete gut and rebuild (or what have we gotten into).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	148914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jan 14, 5 01 55 PM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	148915  

mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the airforums McGriffrus

We love folks who dont shy away from a project and it seems like you have jumped right in... and posted pictures too... we love pictures.

You will have a bunch of questions and im sure we will learn from you too. Dont hesitate to ask. Make sure you get familiar with the search tool aswell. Many folks have charted these waters and there's lots of good info out there. We're glad you found us!

Cheers.. Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Yeah, I'm not sure what convinced us to get into this thing head on like this, but here we are! I freely admit to taking advantage of gullible/bored/hungry friends when it comes to working on our project. I find there are two benefits of this. First, you get more hands working on the trailer and second, no one wants to be the guy that gives up, so it's easier to get more work done!

Yesterday we finished getting the bathroom dismantled and taken out along with the last two bulkheads. After working all morning we ate a late lunch of brisket, tater salad, slaw and beans and suffered through the Saint's game.

This afternoon after church my buddy (obviously he didn't learn his lesson yesterday) came over and along with the help of my wife we got all the screens off the windows, removed the inner wheel wells, drilled out 29,837,498,367,823 rivets and got the longest sheets of aluminum I've ever seen off the bottom sections of the side walls!

One step closer to getting a better look at the floor and the frame, I'm really apprehensive of what's really lurking down there....
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote