Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Not new to Airstream

Hello

I'm so glad I found this forum...tons of great information.

I've been trailering all my life. My parents didn't have an Airstream but my grandmother did. My grandfather was a carpenter for a construction company any they would use their Airstream when his job took him down the road...that was in the 40's and early 50's. My mom always wanted an Airstream but always thought they were too expensive.

Well, I'm on my third, a beautiful 87 29' Soverign. I might buy one more...thinking of a used 30' w/slide or a wide body 34'...we'll see!

My first was a 65 Caravel (wish I'd kept it) that now has a happy home in Walnut Grove California...if you see one behind an orange 48 Chevy, that was mine. There's a picture of it on the WBCCI site with the orange Chevy.

I had a 76 21' Land yacht but a nieghbor made me an offer to buy it that I couldn't pass up to I sold it and bought the Soverign which is a great trailer.

I live in northen California and travel as often as I can throughout the west. I'm going to (semi) retire in the next year or two and start "getting out" more. My partner is off during summer so we'll be taking longer trips and going farther east. If you see a nice rig being towed by a dark blue Dodge diesel 4x4 say hello...and if it's after 5 (anywhere in the world!) we'll have a martini!

Mike
flynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the forums mike, its a great place with great people. See you on the road.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Mike-

Welcome, and sounds like a great trailer. You NEED to find thread on Nor-Cal Rally at Russian River (Cassini Ranch) at end of April and take your trailer to the event.. Great group of people, very little in formal organizing or schedules, and you'll see a great variety of other Airstreams... I've made every other Nor-Cal Rally, and will miss this one (it appears) but it will be highlight of your Spring!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Newcomer needing help

My husband and I just purchased a 1976 Caravanner. We are preparing to pull it with a 1996 Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 with a square receiver and a 2" ball.
We have never pulled anything before, what do we need to know. Do we need a transmission cooler...someone suggested this, why? The trailer weighs 4250 ?? and the owners manual says it is rated for 5000 lbs. The trailer comes with a Reese equalizer hitch. Do we need anything else? THANKS...LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR FIRST VINTAGE RALLY IN FEB. AT MC KINNEY FALLS STATE PARK!
Longhorn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Longhorn57;

Just 2 years ago we were in your shoes. But with a Kia Sorento. Nice little peppi engine and nice and tight towing. To tell you the truth I liked towing our Globe Trotter much better with it than I do with the Yukon. The Yukon feels sloppy. But the MPG were slightly different just 2 mpg more with the Sorneto.

Although the Kia could handle the task - we were pushing the factory specs to their limits - which translates to an early dimise of the 3.5/V6 transmission and possible engine super wear super fast.

Once you start camping and start adding payload to both the vehicle and the trailer - you will soon top out over the 5000# - fully loaded with liquids and people only can get you there.

If it is doable I would recommend that you look for a new Tow Vehicle. We were able to trade our 04 on par with the 99 Yukon we were lucky it only had 50K klms bearly broken in - for a 99 that was a find. It also came with the factory HD towing package and 4X4 for up North winters - and getting us down south in Feb. We were shocked at the initial depreciation of the Sorento - but live and learn.

There is oodles of technical towing information here just need to take some time to review all the threads on towing.
Good Luck
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Longhorn57 Welcome to the forums and to the world of Airstreaming. We will look forward to meeting you at the McKinney Falls rally. I hope you enjoy the folks that you will be meeting at McKinney Falls just half as much as we have since transferring into the unit sponsoring this event. We did not consider ourselves "joiners", but since joining the Highland Lakes Unit of WBCCI this past year, we haven't missed a single opportunity to socialize with this group of people. Look us up. Our big red numbers are 8862. Again, welcome.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote