Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Haven't we all gone through this? We started looking at the 16' or 19' Bambi's. DW thought they were really cute! But, we decided a 22' International would serve us better. We looked and looked....we talked...we visited rallies and talked with owners. One thing we decided on early was we'd buy new. With a two year guarantee, since we knew NOTHING about them, we liked knowing we had two years to make things work right! We went to the dealership to purchase a new 22' CCD and were ready to sign the papers - we wanted one more look at the 25' Ocean Breeze. Thought we'd better sleep on the decision, went back the next morning and purchased the 25' Ocean Breeze. Since, we have reupholstered entire inside (sofa, curtain, dinette, etc..) with a much better quality material - changed the OB look but we like it. We really like the additional three feet we got with the 25'. Figured if we could handle a 22' or 23' trailer, we could handle a 25'. We've pulled it through six states our first year, through small towns and large cities with absolutely no problems. DOn't let towing interfer with your decision. One thing we've done is to put a small hook on the curtain that closes off the bedroom (we exchanged the folding doorway for a designer curtain) and that hooks onto the opposite side closet door. With that closing off the rear of the AS, there is no need to keep the toilet door closed allowing much more space for longer occupants - works beautifully for both of us. We love our 25'. Book says it sleeps six but if anyone asks, we always say it sleeps two - we have no "hangers on" that way. Look as long as it takes. Once you've decided, be happy with your choice. Don't buy too small and then buy again a year later - that really gets expensive. Enjoy your selection. It really is a hoot!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I've towed three different Airstreams behind my truck. My 25, my dad's 31 and a friend's 34. On the road, there's no discernable difference in the way each of them pull, even with the huge weight difference between the 25 and the 34. The only time you notice any real difference is when you have to make a tight turn or merge into traffic. Most people on here will tell you that after buying a smaller trailer, they wished they would have gone just a little bigger.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Best idea, if possible, visit an Airstream rally and look around. Airstream owners are friendly and used to people asking to look inside their trailers and asking questions generally.

Take the opportunity to examine various years and models before you make up your mind. Sit inside and see how they fit your needs. Everyone is different, some people like the small ones but many find they want to move up to a bigger model after a while. A rally is a good place to try them on and find the model that suits your personality.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I'll fly in the face of those above. We have a 16' CCD Bambi and love it. Two adults and three small dogs - no problem. We have taken Three long trips; 6 weeks, 5 weels and 4 weeks plus numerious 3 to 10 day trips over the past three years for well over 20k miles. Backing in is no harder than a manure spreader and not having a grey water tank is a non-starter. Most areas will not allow draining a grey tank on the ground anyway. You sound like us in that we spend most of our time out side. Just a plug for the smaller of the Airstream line. What ever floats your boat.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I' ve had two for years now and I still can't decide.I am coming closer to a final choice ,however.The keeper just might be the larger of the two,the '67 Sovereign.It's big,but so was the '63 Safari the first time it was pulled.The basics are the same for all trailers.Keep your mind on the road,keep your hands on the wheel,keep your nosey eyes on the road ahead.We're having fun,sitting in the back seat kissin' and a lovin' with fred.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Bigger is Better

I'm alone now. Both the wife and dog have passed away. I looked at the 20' as I was afraid to tow anything bigger and new I would not need any additional room for company. (A new dog is on the agenda.) After several months of web searching, I took a trip to a dealer. Once I tried the bed and shower on the smaller trailer, I decided to move up a couple of feet in length. I found a used 25' Safari, SS, SE at the dealer's lot. The PO had removed the storage over the bed and placed a bunk there for his child. I liked the large refrigerator, backward facing sofa, actual oven and two wardrobes. (I live in my AS 4 nights a week for work.) I almost pulled the trigger but hadn't actually seen the Safari SS in the AS brochures so wanted to do a little more looking. I consulted a friend who travels with his wife 9 months a year for his church. He has a large 5th. wheel. Michael told me to buy bigger than I think I need. I bought a 25' Safari SS with less than 3000 miles. The PO only used it 4 times and kept it in covered storage. What a buy! If I had it to do over, I would have tried to find a 25' or 27 FB as I hate trying to make this darn corner bed every time I get up. With the children, I feel you would like the privacy of the FB. Bargains are still out there! Good luck with your search.
George
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote