Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Newby question about boondocking

I read all the posts under boon docking but there were no answers.....just a bunch of stories about how great it is.

We finally got the 23' '73 Safari in good shape with everything working but now I'm afraid to leave and go camping at random. I don't want to plan or make reservations. We are headed to New England for 6 weeks of roaming around in rural areas, not cities. Mostly we plan to stay in state parks.

What I need to know is what kind of places can I overnight besides Wallmart? What are the legalities of just parking somewhere?
Where do I have the right to park and sleep and for how long? Can I overnight at rest stops or truck Stops? I thought about finding a empty house for sale and using their driveway.....or maybe church parking lots. I don't want to be run off by the police or security people. I'm sort of afraid to go down back roads and gave to back this trailer for a couple of miles to get out.

I am afraid to take off in case we can't find a park and we have to spend the night just driving the expressway. We're in our 70s so that's not safe. I just need some backup ideas. We can't afford expensive camping parks. Can I park in shopping center lots?

Any ideas to help me feel more comfortable are welcome.

Lynn and Chuck in Dewdrop the Airstream
Mountains of NC
Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You will have to ask at Walmarts, not all allow over night parking. As to parking/squatting on private property without having permission from the owners, you are going to have to take your chances. Technically it is trespassing and could lead to legal issues. There are thousands of miles of dirt fire roads and hundreds of lakes in Maine. Most are open to the public. Some are gated by the lumber companies. When I lived there I used to tent camp all the time on the lakes. Never had any problems. Might be a different story with a trailer. I do not know the current status of overnighting at highway rest stops in Maine. Personally I say just go, have fun and do not worry about the small stuff.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
If ever in Oregon, the Willameete Valley, you can park at our place----it's lovely 20 acre farm, 7 acres treated as a park along Butte creek, small waterfalls, swimming hole, trees, peaceful, etc. Free! Keep us in mind if you ever come our way.
I know this isn't an answer to your question. When I was a child, our parents used to overnight in Catholic Church / school playgrounds. Now that is frowned upon. However, I recently read that a member made a point of asking the Parish priest with the offer to pick up litter.
Susan and Dave
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Walmart has been good to us in our travels. The only negative has been the noise of the early morning vacuum truck as it cleans the parking lot. A small thing for what they are offering I say. I hear that Cracker Barrel restaurants will allow us to stay in their lots but have never tried. Same for Flying J truck stops. On our way to Florida in January we asked and were allowed to overnight at a Camping World in Roanoak, Va. I've also heard that Cabela's sporting stores will allow. The one in Hamburg, Pa even has a dump station way out back in their parking lot. Never stayed there yet. Not so many National Forests here in the East but out west most ( maybe all) will allow dispursed camping. That means almost anywhere you can pull off and be as remote and secluded as you want. So, as you see there are some options. Perhaps others will offer more suggestions. Roadside rest areas, I'd be cautious about using. The forum also has a list of those who will offer courtesy overnight parking as does the WBCCI directory.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am still relatively new to RV'ing, but what I keep hearing from very experienced RV'ers is very often that they really have almost never been unable to find a suitable RV park to stay...a little bit of planning ahead and I am sure? you will be fine and that mostly you are just worrying about something that is unlikely?

I am far too paranoid personally to stop off on property that I am unsure is private, or I am uncertain about....but that is just me...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Roger....that's just what I need to know to feel a little more comfortable. I have the nerve to try....it's just that we take meds that make driving unsafe. Yeah...we could skip them but that's not good either. I was gonna use that as an excuse why we'd have to wait until morning. I'm episcopalian and thought about using a church parking lot in a real pinch.....
You've taken the time to give me more confidence.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Runnells , IA
There is a Facebook group ''Airstream Courtesy Parking". I believe there is an organization that for a small annual fee will help you connect w/ farms, orchards, wineries that allow camping on their property.
sid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Wow....you guys are a big help. I always found such good help on this forum....thanks a bunch. I love that free camp sight page.
We sailed all the way around the world, anchoring in exotic places, so it's not that we aren't brave, just unfamiliar.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Duncan's....I kept your info for our trip out west. We have over an acre in mountains of NC but not level enuf for another AS! Let us know if you come this way.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama

Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama

Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
A Little Pre-Planning is the Key

You can solve your dilemma by a little advance planning, even if just a few days ahead. *Check a number of web sites that cater to folks seeking free overnight arrangements. Armed with data you can have a terrific trip.

http://www.freecampsites.net
http://www.freecampgrounds.com
http://www.boondockerswelcome.com
Overnight RV Parking * ($25/yr but has ~12,000 N.Am. spots)

Remember, anytime you want to stay on private property (church, store, etc.) always ask for permission from the store manager, priest, whomever is in charge/owner.

Overnight Etiquette-
- Stay one night only!
- Obtain permission from a qualified individual; don't rely on a store clerk.
- Obey posted regulations.
- No awnings, chairs, or barbecue grills outside your RV.
- Do not use jacks on soft surfaces (including asphalt).
- Always leave an area cleaner than you found it.
- Purchase gas, food, or supplies as a form of thank you, when feasible.
- Be safe! Always be aware of your surroundings and leave if you feel unsafe.

If you haven't already, get the seniors national park pass which is good for 50% discount on camping (if there is a charge) and free entrance to federal parks: Nat'l Forests are free. It can help cut costs when you find no other available option.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
And go to youtube and watch seemore's videos!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
In Florida, at the rest areas, they have signs posted that there is a 3-hour limit on your stay; no overnight. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel before but we ask the manger. They usually say "sure, see ya for breakfast". Many Cracker Barrels don't have a lot of space but sometimes you get lucky.

I asked at a Pilot before and they said "you want to park here? with the trucks?" I've heard it's noisy and the wife said we should ease on down the road. We've parked at some shopping centers for a while but always go shop at one of the stores.

We haven't been doing this very long but the Walmart lots don't look very appealing to us. We've been to the Publix parking for brief stays. We also use state and federal parks when they're open. Most have a few spots open for walk-ups.

Rest Stops
Here's a list of states allowing overnights at the rest stops:

Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
Wyoming - with some limitations
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Moose Clubs

Join the Moose - almost all clubs have parking for a few RV's out back and as a member it's free or dirt cheap.... Of course it's a parking lot and a water hose - not full hookups. You can eat in the dining room at member rates too. I am not sure but the Elks and Eagles may have the same thing.

Paula
Old 04-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Harvest Hosts for a small annual fee give you a list of farms, wineries, museums, etc. that allow you stay over nite for free. It is kind of expected that if it is a business or establishment that has a product for sale or fee for an attraction that you support the business in some small way. Some have some type of hookup. Others it is strictly boon docking.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Easthampton , Massachusetts
Too little, too late?

I've just noticed your thread here but if you're still wandering the back roads of New England, you're welcome to park in our driveway. We're in Western Ma just 2 miles off I-91, the main north/south route in western Ma. Plenty to see in our area.... Cute college town with loads of restaurants and artists galleries. Historical sites aplenty. We can only offer dry camping, but our street is rural and quiet and best of all safe. Hope you're enjoying your maiden voyage. We're green with envy.
summitview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Wish id known...we reaLily loved our visit in western MA
Thanks anyway
Old 06-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
In Florida, at the rest areas, they have signs posted that there is a 3-hour limit on your stay; no overnight. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel before but we ask the manger. They usually say "sure, see ya for breakfast". Many Cracker Barrels don't have a lot of space but sometimes you get lucky.

I asked at a Pilot before and they said "you want to park here? with the trucks?" I've heard it's noisy and the wife said we should ease on down the road. We've parked at some shopping centers for a while but always go shop at one of the stores.

We haven't been doing this very long but the Walmart lots don't look very appealing to us. We've been to the Publix parking for brief stays. We also use state and federal parks when they're open. Most have a few spots open for walk-ups.

Rest Stops
Here's a list of states allowing overnights at the rest stops:

Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
Wyoming - with some limitations

Figures CT says you can overnight on IL toll roads, many states away.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote