Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Newby in Montana

New member to the forum. Looked at Airstreams for years, even walked around a couple, but have successfully raised our kids camping in tents. In fact, when I told my just-graduated-from-college daughter that we were looking at travel trailers, she replied "WE don't CAMP that way!" (Fortunately, I think she'll forgive us...)

Lurked for awhile then saw a "great price" ad for a 75 Sovereign a couple hours west (in WA) so researched that model in earnest. Now realize there could be much more than a good price, but may take a look to further my education. After all, that "great price" may actually be a fair price.

I DO look forward to eventually changing my status from "just looking...."
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Me too!! Still searching. Welcome to the Forums!!! Best place for all AS info. Good luck and have fun.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best wishes on your search for the perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Thanks to you both -- especially someone who is "still looking" Anna, but posting too! And someone who can tie together Florida and Moose! Thanks to you both... I look forward to learning more....
Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We looked for used Airstreams for several years. The Phoenix metropolitan area has a lot of retirees in Sun City and in the eastern valley, and we hoped to find a good used unit from someone that had given up on road trips due to age, or one being sold in an estate sale. Unfortunately for us, most Airstreams are either handed down in the family, or immediately sold to friends or neighbors. After several years of looking, we finally gave up and purchased a new Bambi.

After seven years, we don't regret the decision. All of the little scratches, dents, stains etc. are ours; and we already have many happy memories (and photos) in our home away from home. We paid a little more for it; but when not in use, it sits next to our house. Here in Arizona, it will probably last for years since it sees very little rain, snow, road salt or extreme winters. In fact, it has never been winterized; because we camp in the winter when the campgrounds are empty.

One happy camper... (actually, two -- and the dog, and the grandkids, and ...)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
New member to the forum. Looked at Airstreams for years, even walked around a couple, but have successfully raised our kids camping in tents. In fact, when I told my just-graduated-from-college daughter that we were looking at travel trailers, she replied "WE don't CAMP that way!" (Fortunately, I think she'll forgive us...)

Lurked for awhile then saw a "great price" ad for a 75 Sovereign a couple hours west (in WA) so researched that model in earnest. Now realize there could be much more than a good price, but may take a look to further my education. After all, that "great price" may actually be a fair price.

I DO look forward to eventually changing my status from "just looking...."
Good luck with your quest, look hard it may be hiding behind the neighbors garage, your airstream is waiting for you out there!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
...look hard it may be hiding behind the neighbors garage...
Ha! MY neighbor's garage has a guards red, '73 Porshe 911 in there! That's a whole 'nother obsession a guy can get into!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Well, Tinman was right... an ad showed up here on the classifieds, only 35 miles away, and... to cut to the chase... I just transferred the title and got the new plates on a 1976 Overlander! Well-cared for, mostly original, has had steady use and even better, steady maintenance. Now, having been on the forums for awhile, I know there is a lot I don't know... but at least now I know it!

We're in!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o
Well, Tinman was right... an ad showed up here on the classifieds, only 35 miles away, and... to cut to the chase... I just transferred the title and got the new plates on a 1976 Overlander! Well-cared for, mostly original, has had steady use and even better, steady maintenance. Now, having been on the forums for awhile, I know there is a lot I don't know... but at least now I know it!

We're in!
Yeah!!! Congrats!! Now we want to see her.....
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Pictures? Okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Yeah!!! Congrats!! Now we want to see her.....
The PO did a great job over the last 12 years with regular (6-7 trips a year) use, regular maintenance and upgrading, but this Overlander is 95% original. Twin bed mid with rear bath, all in good shape. From the pictures you can see original wall-covering that matches the shade and commode cover. And, amazingly, an original Airstream "laundry bag" that snaps in the hamper and matches the original matress covers! Everything else pretty much the same except for newer water heater, inverter and A/C. a catalytic heater supplements to furnace -- everything works. So we're pretty excited because you could, literally, take it out tomorrow and use it. The only issue is a "tackiness" noted on the wall/ceiling vinyl covering (discussed on another thread) but it seems that will be part of our "deep cleaning." We think we found a good one - but we know there are issues with some of the double-pane windows and I'm sure there is something, somewhere!

Pictures as soon as I figure out how to upload them!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Pic's

1976 Overlander

First pic is of the street side - then second of the curb side with SWMBO in the door. She says, "My hair matches the shine..." What a Sweetheart! The other two are of the original decor (standard darker trim with sculptured carpet and brown tufted goucho in front). All lights work, the appliances work, roll-up covers and even has the slide-in plastic bins under the goucho. The bath picture shows the original commode trim which matches the walls and shade and with the cloth "laundry bag" - from Airstream -- that matches the Airstream twin mattress covers. Pretty amazing, actually, that it is all in good shape! I think would be proud of this find! We certainly are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0386.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	160569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0399.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	160570  

Name:	DSC_0408.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	160571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0405.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	160572  

Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
What a beautiful trailer! It's looks so clean and well-maintained. I bet you can't wait to get out and camp! You sure didn't mess around by going from a tent to an Airstream. Good for you.

I'm located in Saskatchewan, Canada, just north of you. We will be having a rally in Montana on the September long weekend. Maybe you'll be able to make it. I'll post the details below. The rally is an annual event between the Montana unit and the Alberta-Saskatchewan unit of the Airstream club. Hopefully you can make it and meet some members of our club.

Lisa

Hands Across the Border Rally August 30 - Sept 03, 2012

Fort Benton, Montana

Contact: Avis and Toby Stapleton (406) 652-5469 atstape@bresnan.net

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Welcome Welcome!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
You did find it behind your neighbors garage! 35 miles in Montana is like walking across the street, she looks great and sure didn't take very long.
Congratulations!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Congratulations. You might want to get a copy of the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming".
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
It is rare to find such a well cared for vintage trailer. Congratulations.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Salem , South Carolina
Well done Montana

I am searching for the trailer that "follows me home." The day I can post pics of the, so far phantom trailer, will be a happy day. Congratulations on such a nice find.
Ciao,
Russ
RussWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
IS there a "Newbies Guide..."? I thought this forum was pretty good as a guide! And, Lisa, we'd already heard about that rally, as well as the Barn Dance (I think that's it) get-together north of Waterton - Cardston, AB in August and may get to that. Unfortunately, I still do a little work now and then and will be in Winnepeg the last week of August and first week of September - so we'd enjoy Ft. Benton but will likely miss that one this time. But we have done "hands across the border" with Rotary many times and know that the folks in our part of the world can have a good time - so will for sure do that in the future.

We are pretty excited. SWMBO admitted - confessed maybe is a better word - that during the sermon this morning she said her mind wandered to "...where to put things in the Airstream." Is this divine inspiration?

As Tinman said, you never know what is right around the corner. We literally called an hour after the PO posted on the ad on Airforums Classifieds, and after a couple hours looking it over, were pretty sure if was the one, but had another to go look at the next day across the state. But after that, we realized we could look long and hard and not find something as good, so committed!

Russ, I've read that whole thread of Mr. Hi Ho Ag's Overlander that "followed him home." There is much to be learned in those 30-40 pages! We have to get some things done over the next two weeks but will work in a test drive and overnight locally (that's pretty easy in Montana!) then a four-day shake-down up to Glacier at the end of the month, and even may stretch that into the 4th!

For other folks still looking, I can only say that there are so many options out there - we looked at really old to pretty new - and the folks on this forum are so helpful, that we really appreciate the advice of all. Sincerely, to one and all: thank you.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Just visiting the neighbors!

(This Bambi and forum member are less than a hundred yards away, one street over. Nice to have someone who's been there to "check your bolts....")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	161885  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Two good looking tin cans ... precious, actually!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote