Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Boyne City , Michigan
Newbie Shower Question +1

Hi, I'm new here, brand new, so hope I am doing this right:

I actually have 2 questions. In my quest for an Airstream I came across a Streamline. The resemblance to the AS makes me wonder if there is a relationship? Is this a good trailer? The price is phenominal but I'm not interrested if it is not a good quality invenstment.

My second question does involve an AS: I have located a nice one, but it needs a new shower. Does anyone know where I can locate a shower for an AS. Everything I find is square and I am concerned about the difficulty in making it fit.

if I end up with the Streamline...can I still hang around here?

Thanks!
gmaof20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaof20 View Post
Hi, I'm new here, brand new, so hope I am doing this right:

I actually have 2 questions. In my quest for an Airstream I came across a Streamline. The resemblance to the AS makes me wonder if there is a relationship? Is this a good trailer? The price is phenominal but I'm not interrested if it is not a good quality invenstment.

My second question does involve an AS: I have located a nice one, but it needs a new shower. Does anyone know where I can locate a shower for an AS. Everything I find is square and I am concerned about the difficulty in making it fit.

if I end up with the Streamline...can I still hang around here?

Thanks!
Streamline has been gone for many years.

Therefore if you need genuine parts, forget it, as they don't exist.

At least with Airstream, the factory still carries many parts for trailers 30 to 40 years old.

Additionally, a few commercial vendors have many parts for the older trailers, that Airstream no longer has.

Streamline is a decent trailer, "BUT" original stuff is history for them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome!
Streamlines are good quality trailers. Many will argue better than an Airstream. What year of Airstream are you looking at with the shower problem? Anything can be done with enough time, patience and money.
Everyone is welcome here. There are many "Vintage Kin" owners here on the forums. Good luck with your search for a perfect trailer for you!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Boyne City , Michigan
Smile

thank you all for answering so quickly!

I have yet to see the paperwork, but am pretty sure it is a 1971 29' Empress. it is in good solid shape, no leakes or tears, solid flooring. there are 2 small "tree kisses" on the top-side, but the body is in great shape. i will however, need to find a door as there are a few wrinkles. Is this going to be impossible? it's not so bad I can't live with it, would just rather not.

I want to remove the "small" shower and put in a shower/tub combo. I am not as concerned about original as I am comfort. I want to add as many bells as whistles as I can afford because we plan to spend 2-3 months at a time in our "vacation cabin"
Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Streamline is a great marquee. They're out of business but that would not deter me as most vintage trailers are long ago orphaned by their builders. While off the shelf parts are all but gone you'll be surprised what can be located on the internet. Just because you own something other than an Airstream doesn't mean that you're not welcome here.

Here's a link to TCT's website that gives a brief about Streamline.

streamline [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Boyne City , Michigan
Gosh...you asked about the AS. Not sure of the year on this one yet. Will be talking on Saturday. I just wanted to look at some showers online tonight
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaof20 View Post
..i will however, need to find a door as there are a few wrinkles. Is this going to be impossible? it's not so bad I can't live with it, would just rather not.
Depending on how bad the door damage is you may be able to re-skin it rather than replace. Have any photographs?

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Boyne City , Michigan
Smile

I got the Streamline...couldn't walk away from a GREAT deal I will have pictures this weekend if all goes well.

I hope to get it home and begin tearing away years of grime. There is a lot of work to do, but it seems the bones are good. Everything works, but I will be replacing all of the appliances and bathroom fixtures. The carpet is a mess and some of the wall covering is damaged, so it will need to come out too. I cannot wait to get started!

We would really like to have a larger shower and I am willing to sacrafice one of the closets to get it. I notice that the shower is rounded at the top. is there an outlet for these showers or will I need to modify one of the sqaure ones that are readily available?

thanks for any and all advice anyone can offer

Tags
shower, streamline, replace