Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Newbie - rental?

This year I got Airstream fever and a friend and I would like to rent a trailer 19' max to tour the western US this February and March. I don't know if this is the best place to start this kind of inquiry, but if anyone can provide information or directions on whether this is possible or how to locate a site where we could investigate further i would appreciate it.

I have a 2006 Jeep Overlander fully equipped to tow and we'd either like to start out in Georgia and go west or drive to a convenient central location out west to start out trip.

Thanks for any help you can give us.
Barb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

What you are asking is doable. There are a couple of sources out to rent an Airstream. I would call a couple of Airstream dealers, and see what they might have to offer.

You have located the absolute best source for all types of Airstream information. This is the place for all things Airstream.

I don't know if it is realistic to find an Airstream to rent in the Atlanta area. there is an Airstream Dealer near Atlanta. It is Camping World in Woodstock, Georgia. I would start by giving them a call and see what they might have to offer.

Your Jeep Overlander should be able to handle a 19 Bambi. You will need at least a 2" Class III receiver on the tow vehicle. You will also need to use some type of sway control/weight distribution hitch system. Additionally, you will need to install a quality trailer brake controller in your tow vehicle.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Second the welcome! I had heard that some dealers have a rent to own deal. If you've got the fever, it will not be cured, I assure you.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Thank you for your quick response. Our current plans are to spend February-March 2010 touring so hopefully we have time to get organized. We appreciate any kind of information about airstreaming, touring, resources, etc. I caught the fever for the Airstream from another friend who was looking for one to turn into a "guest suite" for her N.C. cottage. Then I saw Christopher Dean's video on the TED website about his restyling the Airstream Bambi and I was hooked on finding one to work on someday. In case you've not seen this video I'm including the link here.
Barb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the link.

There are a couple of other things that you can do to prepare for your Airstream trip.

If you are not an experienced RVer, start doing some reading on RV systems operation. This includes, but is not limited to,

- operation of heating/cooling systems

- dumping of gray and black tanks and other water system matters

- hooking and unhooking at a campground

- locating campgrounds

- driving safely with a trailer

There is a lot of good information on these Forums. There is also a lot of other information out there on the Web regarding these matters. Most of these and procedures are common to all RV's regardless of brand.

Rent and watch the movie RV with Robin Williams. It is food for thought and quite humorous.

RVing is not exactly launching rockets, but there is a learning curve.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, rent, rental, 19'