Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Running Springs , California
Newbie picking up new FC next week

With many thanks to this community, I will be picking up our first AS this week. Special thanks to SilverGate. We are getting one of the last FC 23 Lounge models available since they are being discontinued in 2013. Hopefully there will be no hang ups in the final transaction since we had to go out of state to get it.
ron7852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
After two years of poring over the Airstream Forums, I thought I was ready to pick up my Airstream. After a day and a night and half the next day at the dealer's, I still missed and misunderstood things. My very savvy son-in-law went with me to be an extra set of eyes, which helped. My spouse went with me to be a third set of eyes, which didn’t help. Learning how to use the electrical, plumbing, galley equipment, brakes, stereo, antenna, new truck and hitch is daunting and thrilling. And there are so many things to have with you for the return trip. But after almost three years, I’m still daunted and thrilled with Airstream ownership. Congratulations to you and best wishes.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Congrat's.....

Take notes/video on the dealer orientation, don't be askeered to ask questions.

An overnight stay on the dealer lot is always a good idea. Spend the evening with a glass of "Happy Camper", good music and the owners manual.

Sweet Streams....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	happy_camper_cab_04.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	162157  
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on the new Airstream. The lounge is a versatile arrangement, comfortable seating and dining space which most small to mid-sized trailers do not have.

SilverGate gave you good advice and also has very good photos and methods to maintain your trailer. These are gorgeous trailers but are subject to weather. Start your corrosion treatment (CorrosionX or Boeshield) on all exterior rivets, panel edges, and fittings as soon as you get it home. Also never will have a better time to spray Boeshield on all the underbody steel components while they are nice and clean.

Keep an eye on that thin sealant line between the frame and glass at the curved pano windows for separation and therefore leakage. Both of my new trailers did it and began to leak months after purchase, I've seen it on new Airstreams at the showroom. Its a matter of taping and applying a slightly thicker, more flexible bead of sealant when it happens. I would expect ongoing maintenance here.

If the clearance lights (2011 and early 2012 models) do not have a gasket between the chrome frame and the aluminum trailer shell, contact Airstream for an immediate fix. The chrome frame will cut into the surface at its ends and soon start to corrode. You can see this corrosion on the showroom floor as well.

That's the trouble spots I've seen on the new trailers and can be eliminated with regular inspections and a few minutes maintenance.

We have been thrilled with our new Airstreams, a delight to have and enjoy.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Congratulations! I still remember how excited we were when we went to pick up our new trailer. As Bob said, it was extremely helpful for us to spend a night in it at the dealership. Even though we had an orientation the day before, we had a ton of questions the next day. Maintenance is essential, but try not to become so obsessed with it so you will have time to enjoy your new trailer. You're going to love Airstreaming.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the great suggestions. We have had SOB for a few years so some of the basics are understood.
Doug, is the clearance light issue something the dealer can handle before delivery?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
ron, the corrosion prevention issue is different with Airstream panels and SOB panels because the SOB is painted after assembly, Airstream panels coated before assembly then cut and drilled so the edges are left exposed to the weather. Older Airstreams were clear-coated after assembly but faded and peeled badly in only a few years. This new system is much more durable "IF" you take care of the exposed edges, rivet holes, fittings, wheels.

The clearance light issue can be taken care of at the dealer but they probably will be ignorant of it. The latest 2012's have a gasket between the light frame and the body shell, the early ones/2011's don't. There is a date of assembly on a outside permanent sticker, I saw a January 2012 model with the gaskets, earlier ones without. If not there the chrome light frame absolutely will dig into the shell coating and cause corrosion that will worsen badly over time.

Insist on it before you take it home, they won't like it but too bad. I stopped at my dealer to inquire about it last week, service manager in usual denial mode. They sell many different brands. He said corrosion, leaks from failed seals, adjustments must be done within 90 days of delivery, after that its routine maintenance. So there you go, I love my Airstream but most dealers are worthless.

That's why I stress an inspection and maintenance plan starting the day you bring it home. If you can wade through the bitching and complaining in this forum, there are some excellent maintenance strategies by owners, SilverGate and ROBERT CROSS among the best.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
I'm on my way from home in So. Cal to the dealer in Portland to pick up the new airstream. Doug, thanks for the detail on the lights. I have told the dealer about this issue, as well as some of the other common "new" issues I've seen on this forum. We will see how they do on Thursday.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The Portland dealer has a good reputation and should be able to work through any issues. The 23 is a great layout - you should have LOTS of fun getting to know your new trailer

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! We also own a 23' front lounge - it is proving to be an excellent layout for the two of us.

Enjoy the new trailer! And again thanks to Silvergate for providing such wonderful documentation for helping us use and care for these trailers.

Tom
Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2012 23' Flying Cloud
I made it to Portland, and am camping at a park down the street from Airstream NW. Fireworks tonight, and new trailer tomorrow. I plan on staying another night in this park to see if we have any bugs for them to address before I head home. Hope all have a great 4th. God bless the USA!!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Happy daze for sure.....good luck!!!

Just for the enlightenment of some folks here....

As a quality dealer, ask them if they are aware of the automatic transfer switch concerns some have had. Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Welcome to the board. You will learn much here as I certainly have. Overtime you will also learn to disseminate between knowledgeable and experienced owners of AS's and TV's and the rabid lunatic fringe with biased and unsupported opinions of what is best for you and your AS. Have fun with it and don't take anything personal. There is a ton of good information here but sorting thru it all can be daunting. Certainly towing, Tow Vehicles, and Hitches are among the most contentious topics on this forum.
Getting a brand new AS is exciting and I can still remember getting our 27' FC a little over 2 years ago. Always a big issue for you, the AS, and the forum is what is your TV and what hitch set up are you using? This is critical as the wrong combination or right combination with the wrong set up or adjustments can damage the trailer or make life difficult towing to your favorite campgrounds.
My initial set up was way too strong equalizer bars. Reading the forums here, I learned to downgrade the capacity of my bars resulting in a much better ride and probably a much happier AS.
I think we look forward to reading about your experiences as a new AS owner. Again, Welcome.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
By the way, it's easy to become a "Contributing Member" and it pretty inexpensive to support this forum.