Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bishop , California
Newbie...needing recommendations

Hello everyone. I'm Corina and my pupper is Buckeye.

I'll be picking up my beloved Amelia in 2 weeks. I'll be a solo fulltimer. I'm an Occupational Therapist and travel the country for work, moving every 13 weeks or so.

I've been reading through the forum posts and have a few questions, specifically security. The RV parks where I will stsy will be researched and carefully selected. My dog will be in the trailer while I'm at work.

My plan is to get a hitch lock, wheel boot, and trader system, along with good insurance. There will be cameras inside the trailer and temperature sensor to keep me in the loop while away.

I've read many opinions and, yes, if they want it bad enough, they will steal it. I've read a few posts where owners described how they lock their chains and tires.

Would you be so kind as too post pictures of how you lock these things along with any recommendations with hitch locks and wheels boots, if your so inclined.

2019 27' Globetrotter.

Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190203_080215_520.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	337512Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190203_080215_514.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	337513
streamvizsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the Airstream community. You have a very nice trailer indeed.

I know little about full timing. We use our trailer for vacations, maybe 6 to 8 weeks a year. I do hope you pull assignments in the north during the summer and in the south during the winter. Winter living in an Airstream is a challenge, so is summer heat. Maybe your trailer has two air conditioners.

We haven't had any trouble in trailer parks. The trailers are usually parked pretty close to each other so there are lots of eyes watching what goes on. Airstream Life / Store sells a hitch lock that they say is more robust. Most hitch locks can be defeated by a thief is a matter of seconds with a battery powered cut off wheel. Same with any other anti theft device. I myself jack my trailer up and put it on jack stands while in storage. Then I take the wheels off and take them home with me. Makes the trailer a bit more work for those low life thieves.

Check the rules. Some RV parks do not allow unattended barking dogs in a RV. This is because everyone is so close to their neighbors. We have a noisy beagle that barks at everyone walking by. We can't leave her in the trailer alone. Hoping your pouch is very considerate of the neighbors.

You didn't mention how much trailering experience you have. I see full timers with oversized propane tanks so they aren't running after propane frequently. And there is water tank maintenance (dumping and rinsing). You likely already know this.

I injured my back working on my Airstream last month. A person like you helped me recover and get back to work. I am grateful.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
you may wish to check out "Miss Airstream" over on Facebook. She is a traveling Nurse and has been living what you are planning to do for a couple of years. I'm confident if you sent her a message, she would be happy to share experiences and tips with you.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It's me again. If and while you visit Airstream Life store, you might consider ordering a book or two. Airstreaming for Newbies is good, and Basic Airstream Maintenance is very good. They might help you with your new Airstream. We have both books.

David

https://store.airstreamlife.com/
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Hi Corina! I just wanted to say hello and say that I, too, am a fellow OT (although am currently taking a hiatus from practicing after doing 15+ years doing burns). We just bought our first AS and love all the great knowledge everyone has here. Interested in everyone's advice in this topic as I'm nervous storing our trailer and definitely would love to learn tricks to keep the thieves thwarted as best I can!

Hopefully your travels will bring you up to the PNW someday! Btw, love your breed of dog!
NellBell is offline   Reply With Quote