Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Newbie Needing Advice

Hello!

I'm a newbie-like-you-wouldn't-believe!!

My wife and I had a "plan', it was more a dream, really - to buy an Airstream "sometime in the near future" and tour this beautiful country of ours with my parents (both in their 80's). The household got hit by covid in Dec, we all survived, but it gave us an appreciation that nothing in life is guaranteed. We decided to speed up our search and get an AS ASAP, every day lost is a day that's not coming back ever. As luck would have it we found pretty much exactly what we were looking for this past Tuesday, and were ecstatic to buy it on Thursday. We think our 28' Flying Cloud FB Twin is amazing!

Here's my request for advice - I still haven't bought a TV. The AS is still stored with the previous owner. My thought was to rent a few trucks or SUV's in the next month or so over every weekend and decide which one fits our needs. My question is - is this feasible at all? Is it too much work to keep changing TV's every weekend or so? Am I smoking crack? Would you recommend this approach? Should I just hunker down and buy a TV already?

Please let me know what you think. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated.

Best,
Riveted2021
Riveted2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Hey Newbie!
This should be fun.Buy the biggest tow vehicle you can.
A 3/4 Ton, ( or larger ) will be ideal.
In a perfect world, everyone would be towing a Basecamp/ Bambi, or larger Airstream, with a dually tow truck.
But, keeping as close to perfect as you can, just hunker down + buy a GM product.
I also tow Ford's with mine .
This should get things started....
Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Hey Newbie!
I agree, I have towed with 1/2 tons, can it be done? Yes.

We have a dually now that we use with our soon to be replaced toy hauler. When we get the new AS we are keeping the ton and not looking back. JMO
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
You have a 28’ trailer and It sounds like you’re planning on four adults in the TV while towing, which means you need a crew cab or larger. And you need 600+ lbs of payload allocated just for humans (more likely 800+ Lbs given typical US adults).

Anyone who tell you you can tow this with a 1/2 ton or any SUV is wrong. 28’ is really tough to make work with two passengers / regular cab, stripped down rig, right out with four passengers.

Get a 3/4 ton or larger.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I can tell you that your strategy to rent a variety of vehicles and try different things each weekend is probably not possible, or very difficult at best. Most retail rental companies absolutely forbid you to tow with their vehicles, which means you have to get something set up for towing, like a Uhaul (though as I recall they only want you to pull Uhual trailers with their trucks). There are some "Commercial" branches of the rental companies that will rent heavy pickups like F250s, but probably not a variety of large SUVs, or even a variety of pickup truck makes. Even if you can do this, you would need to reconfigure your weight distribution system for practically every different vehicle, and this is a process that can take several hours, and depending on the hitch, a torque wrench that can go up to 350 ft-lbs.

There are usually half a dozen active threads on these forums where someone innocently starts an argument by asking what tow vehicle to buy. Yours is just starting, but have a glance around and you will find the other 6-12 that have already devolved into name calling and had to be shut down by the mods. You might learn what you need to know, or at least hear the prevailing opinions by reading these slightly more mature threads.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I agree with poster above that actually towing with these various vehicles will be close to impossible, and also completely un-necessary.

I agree with the other poster above that due to payload needs for 4 adults, you will need a truck larger than a standard ˝ ton. That is unless a ˝ ton diesel you look at has the additional payload you will need.

I'm saying that you would be wise to calculate your payload, and then rule out any vehicle that doesn't fit that criteria.

Don't be fooled by "can tow" numbers. That is not your limiting factory. Payload is how much weight your vehicle can carry. That includes occupants, gear, fuel, and hitch weight of your loaded airstream. (To illustrate the concept: you as a person can push a flatbed cart of stuff at costco that weights 1500 pounds--so you as a person can tow 1500 pounds. You as a person cannot carry in your arms 1500 pounds. How much you can carry is your payload. It's what the frame of the truck and suspension and wheels can carry.)

My Tundra can tow 10,000 pounds, but my payload is around 1400. I am barely OK with 2 adults and our 27 AS. When our adult kids come along, they drive a separate vehicle.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Belegedhel is right, you’ll have difficulty renting an assortment of different brands of tow vehicles. Suggest looking at all the makes you like, decide on a make, then start running the weight numbers on specific vehicles prior to making the purchase. All the major brands have models that can tow your trailer when properly equipped, so it comes down to your preferences. The key is “properly equipped “. Don’t believe sales people, run the numbers yourself, based on door sticker of the particular vehicle you are purchasing.

Good luck, you’re going to get tons of advice on your post!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
I concur with all who suggest that you "go big" as you will need something larger than a 1/2 ton for sure! Granted we pull our 22FB Sport with a 1/2 ton but it will be replaced within the next year or two with a diesel 3/4 ton.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with all the comments and advice above. I tow a 23-footer with a GMC 1500, which is much lighter and has a much lower tongue weight than a 28-footer. When loaded for camping, I have to be very careful with what cargo goes in the truck and what goes in the trailer. You'll hit your payload capacity much faster than you think with a 1/2 ton truck.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

The trying out different tow vehicles by renting them may be problematic. Many vehicle rental contracts prohibit towing anything, leaving you libel for any damage due to towing. Also, if the vehicle is not equipped with a trailer brake controller, you will have to install one to tow your 27FB.

We are long time Airstreamers with over 2,200 nights of Airstream camping. We have towed extensively with 3/4 ton Suburbans. They were OK, but not great. We switched over to diesel pick-up trucks about nine years ago. These have worked great for us. We would not even consider going back to a gasoline tow vehicle.

The crew cab pick-up tucks of today are very comfortable and roomy for four adult passengers. This will probably be your best bet for extensive cross country touring.

Best wishes in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
GVWR and GCWR are your friends.

Hi Riveted2021.

I agree with everything so far and thought I'd mention that how much load the the TV can carry and pull is not as important as how much load the TV can carry and stop/control safely. Ensure that you calculate your anticipated TV and Trailer loads and then use the posted GVWR and GCWR numbers for the vehicles you are looking at as the prime criteria for purchase. Once purchased, add a good weight distribution hitch set up properly to move some of that hitch weight to the front steering Axle of the vehicle. We tow our 27' with a 2002 Excursion and needed the weight distribution (we use Reese) to ensure that we didn't exceed the Rear Axle weight rating and to be sure we had enough weight on the front axle for emergency maneuvers. We carried two adults, 4 kids, a dog and all the gear to support. Has worked well for 10 years. You can check my weight distribution work here: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post1105856

Good luck and enjoy your travels comfortably and safely!

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GCWR-1.png
Views:	35
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	388769  
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
First off, congratulations! My younger brother and his family traveled with my parents from Indiana to California many years ago in a Ford van with pop up in tow. The folks loved it - it was one of their best memories! Kudos!
As for a TV, what they said - yeah. We have an F150 V8 Supercrew and decided the 23FB was the right size for the two of us, largely because anything larger would not be completely comfortable going down the road, encountering mountain passes and high winds and all the other stuff that somehow doesn’t make it onto the specifications page of the glossy manual.
That said, with four people, you MIGHT find that a heavy duty van meets your needs. We towed a 28’ SOB (light aluminum superstructure that weighed about 5,000# dry) with two kids in a Ford E350 van. The extra space was a sanity-saver. The vans on the market now have impressive payloads, properly configured, but few match the 9600# towing capacity of the “Blue Behemoth”.
Have you talked this over with the previous owner? What did they tow with? Did they feel constrained?
I agree that renting the possible tow vehicles comes with too many pitfalls. “Try before you buy” may sound like a great idea, but as with marriage, too many choices can make it a messy proposition.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York

Congratulations on getting an Airstream. We have a 28’ Flying Cloud and have towed it with our F150 Platinum crew cab for close to 20000 miles. The Aluminum bodied F150 is approximately 700# lighter than the steel bodied comparable equipped F150. The aluminum F150’s handle the payload well and pulling your Airstream. Good luck.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Hey Newbie!
In a perfect world, everyone would be towing a Basecamp/ Bambi, or larger Airstream, with a dually tow truck.
But, keeping as close to perfect as you can, just hunker down + buy a GM product.
I also tow Ford's with mine .
This should get things started....
Thank you B! And sorry for the late response!

Appreciate you starting us off!

I was hoping that I would be able to get away with a large SUV, but it seems like the overwhelming agreement is to buy a large truck!

Best,
Riveted2021
Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
I agree, I have towed with 1/2 tons, can it be done? Yes.

We have a dually now that we use with our soon to be replaced toy hauler. When we get the new AS we are keeping the ton and not looking back. JMO
Thanks nitzo! Sorry for the late response...

What is a "dually"? Sorry if that is a very basic question!
Old 02-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
You have a 28’ trailer and It sounds like you’re planning on four adults in the TV while towing, which means you need a crew cab or larger. And you need 600+ lbs of payload allocated just for humans (more likely 800+ Lbs given typical US adults).

Anyone who tell you you can tow this with a 1/2 ton or any SUV is wrong. 28’ is really tough to make work with two passengers / regular cab, stripped down rig, right out with four passengers.

Get a 3/4 ton or larger.
Thanks XCountry! Yep, your assumptions are all spot on! We will have four humans, and yes I will have to account for 700 pounds of human weight at least!

Even the large SUV's like the Dodge Durangos or Cadillac Escalades are out, huh?
They claim to have a max towing capacity of 8,000+ pounds and a payload of 1,600. They still wouldn't cut it?

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it! Makes me feel that I am standing on shoulders of giants!

Best,
Riveted2021
Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I can tell you that your strategy to rent a variety of vehicles and try different things each weekend is probably not possible, or very difficult at best. Most retail rental companies absolutely forbid you to tow with their vehicles, which means you have to get something set up for towing, like a Uhaul (though as I recall they only want you to pull Uhual trailers with their trucks). There are some "Commercial" branches of the rental companies that will rent heavy pickups like F250s, but probably not a variety of large SUVs, or even a variety of pickup truck makes. Even if you can do this, you would need to reconfigure your weight distribution system for practically every different vehicle, and this is a process that can take several hours, and depending on the hitch, a torque wrench that can go up to 350 ft-lbs.

There are usually half a dozen active threads on these forums where someone innocently starts an argument by asking what tow vehicle to buy. Yours is just starting, but have a glance around and you will find the other 6-12 that have already devolved into name calling and had to be shut down by the mods. You might learn what you need to know, or at least hear the prevailing opinions by reading these slightly more mature threads.

good luck!
Thanks Belegedhel! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

I spoke to the local Enterprise Truck Rental and told them what I was planning on doing - want to tow my AS every weekend with a different truck to basically see which would work for my family. They were ok with renting to me. I have booked a Chevy Sierra 2500 for this weekend. The manager there said that it has a towing capacity of 10,000+ pounds.

But, what you hit the nail on the head when you addressed how practical this could be - I have no idea if I can really pull this off! From what you're saying it will be extremely difficult! I may have to abandon my plan after this weekend's experience.

I am setup for an Orientation tomorrow (2/18) and the previous owner (who is amazing) has offered to take me there in his truck! I'm looking forward to learning more about hitching and unhitching and actually doing it during the Orientation. That should give me a good idea of how impractical this plan is.

Thanks again! And sorry for the late response, life just got in the way.

Best,
Riveted2021
Old 02-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I agree with poster above that actually towing with these various vehicles will be close to impossible, and also completely un-necessary.

I agree with the other poster above that due to payload needs for 4 adults, you will need a truck larger than a standard ˝ ton. That is unless a ˝ ton diesel you look at has the additional payload you will need.

I'm saying that you would be wise to calculate your payload, and then rule out any vehicle that doesn't fit that criteria.

Don't be fooled by "can tow" numbers. That is not your limiting factory. Payload is how much weight your vehicle can carry. That includes occupants, gear, fuel, and hitch weight of your loaded airstream. (To illustrate the concept: you as a person can push a flatbed cart of stuff at costco that weights 1500 pounds--so you as a person can tow 1500 pounds. You as a person cannot carry in your arms 1500 pounds. How much you can carry is your payload. It's what the frame of the truck and suspension and wheels can carry.)

My Tundra can tow 10,000 pounds, but my payload is around 1400. I am barely OK with 2 adults and our 27 AS. When our adult kids come along, they drive a separate vehicle.
Thanks Piggy Bank! My wife thinks I'm over complicating this too! She feels this whole renting exercise is unnecessary as well! I haven't shown your post to her yet, I'm going to get the "I told you so" looks soon enough!!

Thanks for the illustration, that makes it simple to understand these concepts - besides the weight of the truck and what we put in there would be considerable weight added to the payload due to the trailer, right? Is that called "hitch weight'? I should search forums for definitions of all lf these terms and create a glossary!

Appreciate you taking time to respond to me.

Best,
Riveted2021
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
San Ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
Belegedhel is right, you’ll have difficulty renting an assortment of different brands of tow vehicles. Suggest looking at all the makes you like, decide on a make, then start running the weight numbers on specific vehicles prior to making the purchase. All the major brands have models that can tow your trailer when properly equipped, so it comes down to your preferences. The key is “properly equipped “. Don’t believe sales people, run the numbers yourself, based on door sticker of the particular vehicle you are purchasing.

Good luck, you’re going to get tons of advice on your post!
Thanks Oldenavy! Based on what I've read so far it seems like I should be looking for a truck that's not too old. A friend reminded me that most truck miles are highway miles and while high miles may not be too much of a factor in determining my ideal vehicle, I'll never know what the truck has been towing/hauling and wouldn't know the wear and tear on the engine. I don't like buying new cars/trucks, any advice on what should I look for as I consider options, besides the towing related calculations, of course..

Best,
Riveted2021
Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Four people with their luggage and a 28 footer.

Go with a 3/4 truck of your choice. Gas or diesel will be fine.

IMHO you do need the lager truck for the weight and the larger brakes.

Best to you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote