Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Herndon , Virginia
Question Newbie looking at Class B Vans

Hello All from Virginia. I'm new here to this forum, but been an airstream fan (and classic trailers in general) for many years. Wife and I are approaching the "retirement years" (I've been retired a year now, she's got a couple of years to go). I've been researching vans and trailers for the last couple of years and we've narrowed down our choice to a class B van. Initially, we are looking for something that is a 3rd vehicle option. Primarily to be used for short weekend getaways and trips to the grandsons events. Also to be used for trips back and forth to Pensacola Florida a few times a year to our daughter and granddaughters. I would also use it for trips to property I have in NC. We've settled on the Interstate 19 because it should avoid any issues with the HOA because of its smaller size. I have also looked at (and this may be blasphemy here), the Pleasureway Ontour 2.0 on the Ford Transit chassis with the 3.5L eco boost V6 gas engine. Frankly, I'm a little concerned with the cost of maintenance with the Sprinter Diesel. (I have no experience with diesel at all, but I have nightmares of filling it with gasoline)! Of course, thanks to Covid, neither of these models are easily available right, so I've got plenty of time to continue my research. I am about 1 hour to 1.5 hours away from dealers for both of these vehicles, but I suspect (though not confirmed) that the eco boost could be serviced at either of two Ford dealers nearby. Anyone have thoughts on my rationale here? Or stories about the MB Sprinter diesel maintenance and costs? Thanks in advance!
justlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome, and hope you find your perfect ClassB.

I have had two Sprinter/MB diesel Interstates over the past 14 years and would have nothing else.

Might spend some time on our BVan sub forum and do some reading, which may be of help to you.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

Good luck,

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Good suggestion from Maggie to check the Sprinter and B-van forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

. . . also the following thread is a good read on maintenance issues:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ep-110840.html

We are partial to Ford Transits as tow vehicles so your mention of the P-W Ontour 2.0 got me looking:

https://pleasureway.com/models/ontour20/

Thanks for the mention.

Good luck.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
I would go with the Ford chassis/ gasser engine.
I would avoid that Mercedes Sprinter chassis like the Covid
Its a billboard like /unstable /engineering mess , unless you like the white knuckle driving experience described by some owners.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oh, really, B.Cole.

You who don’t have one, others of us here who have had them and loved them for years.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Oh, really, B.Cole.

You who don’t have one, others of us here who have had them and loved them for years.

Maggie
Did you see the poor guy in here in winter,who bought a brand new Lounge deal van, or whatever they call them He spent like a 1/4 Million $$ on it ( bought the hype)
Well the thing practically fell apart on a long maiden voyage trip, furnace wouldn't work, shower came apart, drawers fell apart,had to tape door to keep from opening, etc etc.They were all bundled up.
He was going to abandon it on way back to Florida.His wife and young kids were terrified.
They sound awesome!!
I suggested to Airstream in the couple day thread,that they could provide different colored rolls of duct tape with every new one, to match the color schemes.That went unanswered
Maybe somebody can link it for the OP.