Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Newbie look for our first Airstream

Hi my name is Rick and my wife Cece want's to buy a 17ft 2008 Safari. We have been looking for a while. I would like a 19ft but Im not sure what my Jeep Laredo can tow. Im new to the site and will find the right forum to post any Questions I have. Thank you, looking forward to sharing camping photos and reading posts.
Braunbear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum. I'm certain you will enjoy your new Airstream.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Jeep towing capacity

Hi and welcome!!
I have a Jeep Laredo too but it is a 3L diesel, so it can haul 12,200 pounds (IMAGINE three airstreams at the same time!!!). Our manual has a listing of how much each engine can haul. I think the lightest weight was 5,000 Lbs. Just check in the manual, or the dealership should be able to tell you. Also there is a label on the drivers door when you open it that will have the max weight. If the label is gone and you are missing the manual just e-mail me and I will look in mine. The Jeep forum is also good for questions like that. I'm pretty sure that the airstream corporate web site also has a PDF that gives you the weight and tongue weight for your AS, model and year.
Again welcome, this is a great site with fantastic and helpful folks.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
You might also want to check the rating of your hitch to make sure the hitch can handle the load. Bumper type hitches are not strong enough. You really need to look at isung a weight distribution type hitch setup.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Flygrrl:
Not to stir up a hornets nest but...
12,200 lbs tow capacity on a 3.0L CRD Jeep sounds high. My 6.8L (415 CI) V-10 Excursion (310HP/ 425 Ft-lbs torque) is rated at 10,000 lbs max with a WD hitch per Ford.

That being said, I have seen some interesting setups discussed here on the forums.
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Flygrrl:
Not to stir up a hornets nest but...
12,200 lbs tow capacity on a 3.0L CRD Jeep sounds high. My 6.8L (415 CI) V-10 Excursion (310HP/ 425 Ft-lbs torque) is rated at 10,000 lbs max with a WD hitch per Ford.

That being said, I have seen some interesting setups discussed here on the forums.
I'd bet he's talking GCWR, not max trailer weight.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Jumpin' Jeeps

Yah, what KeithC said.
It probably is GCTW (don't have the manual in front of me to double check) but still the diesel is a hauler, at 2770lbs for a '62 Globe Trotter, it could still handle a lot of AS's. The problem I ran into was that even with a factory tow package, Jeep did not install a brake controller plug in(as in sub-harness), and they are hard to find for newer than 2004's. The dealership couldn't find the part # or the green wire to the 7pin, I eventually found it (thank goodness for mini girl hands!) and it is about 4" long!! Anyway, all is now good (didn't install at that dealership) and when my trailer brakes get done I can control them. Got a P2 since I only have one axle.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I believe that laredo diesel is a benz motor. The last benz diesel I had I sold with 498,000 miles on the odometer. Great engines. I would imagine it makes for a good combo in the jeep.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
I loooove my Jeep

Hi c_lewis77, Yup nice engine, it is a benz, 2007, with only 77,000K, got a very good deal on it too, you can feel the oomph it has. Nav, sat radio, power everything. My husband drives 85km one way to work every day and he is saving about $25 a week on gas. I had NO IDEA how nice they are to drive, (also have a 4x4 Blazer) the Jeep also came with both a 7 pin and a 4 pin factory installed. I think it's a keeper. I love the fact that it runs on the only fuel you can make in your garage. The manual says 5% biodiesel but I know someone who uses 100% and does just fine. Not that I will be doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
I believe that laredo diesel is a benz motor. The last benz diesel I had I sold with 498,000 miles on the odometer. Great engines. I would imagine it makes for a good combo in the jeep.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Back to my Jeep Question

I called the Jeep dealership and they checked the vin# and told me it is rated @ 5000 for a 2006 4x4 (Trail Rated badge) on the Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 V-6 HP I think the HP is 210
Braunbear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I love Jeeps!...Just don't let Ralph Nader catch wind that you are towing a trailer with a Jeep...It'll be the 1970's all over again! :-)
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Grand Cherokees towing Airstreams!

I have read too many posts about Jeeps here, my head is spinning!
I am also nervous! What I am doing, seems to be correct, but now I am doubting it?
Just bought the 25" Eddie Bauer and I have the 2008 GC Limited with towing package and the Hemi 5.7. It is the 4x4 Jeep

This Jeep is supposed to tow 7200 pounds. I took the airstream to the scales twice already. It was loaded for camping and came in at 6120. The whole rig came in at 11,000 pounds (Jeep says max is 12300)

at that rate I was 1000 under what Jeeps says....THEN I loaded my small motorcycle in the Eddie Bauer and weighed the whole rig, very, very loaded...full tank of gas etc, motorcycle ramps...I was at 11980 (getting a tad heavy there, but still under) With me in it etc etc....

I actually just drove 4000 miles with my new Eddie Bauer. Thru HILLS and terrible 109 heat...Everything seemed to work very well, as far as I can tell. Jeep did want her oil changed a tad early (I would too driving thru Smokey Mountains, and 110 temps in Dallas)

am I doing something wrong here? I have the new set up from the airstream dealer of the prodigy brake controller and the stabilizer bar set up.

I sure don't want to damage either vehicle. There was no swaying of airstream. When a big truck came by I noticed a little pull from it. I am also looking into putting air shocks (or bags?) for the rear of Jeep, cause in my opinion it sits a tad low back there.

also I don't seem to like the way the Tow/Haul button in Jeep makes it shift, so I am not using that. I am getting about 11 mpg.

I am very new to towing etc...First TT ever. I had a guy friend drive the whole thing around town for me, he claimed it felt better than his pick up truck with his longer TT....

any thoughts? also don't know...air bags? air shocks? I have yet to get the exact reading on tongue weight
screamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Braun',

First, don't believe an RV dealer. They want to sell trailers and some will tell you a riding lawnmower can tow a 34' trailer.

The trailer will last longer than the Jeep. Select the trailer you want and then determine whether you need a different tow vehicle. A 17' or other small trailer may be cute, but can become very, very small very fast. And you will have to make up the bed everyday if you use the table.

I haven't checked this, but it has been said that a fair number of people buy the smaller trailers and then find them too small and sell them. Trading up is expensive.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
You should be alright if you have a good hitch that is setup properly. You don't state what hitch you have.

It's really a bad idea to put any kind of air shocks, or load levelers on the truck as they will mask the proper adjustment of the hitch, and you will end up with not enough weight on the front axle of the tow vehicle.

Also, Jeep puts the tow/haul mode in the computer to protect the transmission, and it shifts that way because it needs to, to handle the load, and improve it's longivity under load. Always use the tow/haul mode when towing if you want your transmission to last.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Thanks Steve, My last question is about leveling the Jeep out. I have the equalizer brand hitch, which I was told was a very good one. The airstream dealer suggested putting airbags in the rear of Jeep to help bring it up a little. My headlights are too high towing, so I thought if I raise the rear a little with the airbags, everything will be level.

It seemed like they adjusted the hitch as much as possible and I don't have the knowledge to try and fiddle with it myself. (over my newbie head) The trailer part rides level. Also you do recommend using tow/haul (5th gear) for towing in all types of conditions? it seemed to also drop my gas mileage when I tried to use it.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Actually, the RV dealer's have the worst reputation for adjusting hitches properly, and just because they did it, it's not necessarily done right. A simple and quick check to do is measure the height of the front fender directly above the front tire, both before and after the trailer is hitched on level ground. With a mid sized SUV like the Jeep GC, I would want the front axle to carry at least a small portion of the tongue weight, meaning the front of the Jeep should go down a little after the trailer is attached. If it doesn't, or especially if it goes up, the hitch is not adjusted correctly.

Check your Jeep owner's manual about the tow/haul feature, and I believe it will say to tow a trailer of the size of yours only in tow/haul. Think about it...why else would they equip it as such?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Scream',

Do you have enough air in the Jeep tires?—the wheels are now carrying more weight.

Tow/haul lowers the shifting points in the transmission giving you more power in each gear and that is good for the engine.

It is possible the dealer did not adjust the Equalizer correctly. Every combination is different and dealers don't always take the time to do it correctly. You may need a different shank and it will be good to learn how to adjust it yourself. The trailer must be level, the Jeep should be close to level, and the bars should be close to level, the trailer is most important of the three. There are a number of things to adjust and play with until you get it right. It can take some time, but over time you will probably have to adjust it yourself anyway. The washers compress slightly over time for one thing and that changes the angle of the hitch head.

Instructions should have come with the Equalizer, or you can find them on the internet. There are also threads here that discuss adjusting it—use the search option to find them. And you can call the manufacturer for help. They were very patient when I asked the same questions they hear every day.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Thanks all!
I do have the tires at 38 cold, which is higher than I was normally inflating them.
Just did a quick measurement. My readings say the rear drops 2 inches and the front 1 inch...Sure seems like more than that! All I know is the front seems a tad too high and the steering feels a little off, plus headlights are up. I guess it is time to buy the proper tools and try and tackle this myself!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamstream View Post
Thanks all!
I do have the tires at 38 cold, which is higher than I was normally inflating them.
Just did a quick measurement. My readings say the rear drops 2 inches and the front 1 inch...Sure seems like more than that! All I know is the front seems a tad too high and the steering feels a little off, plus headlights are up. I guess it is time to buy the proper tools and try and tackle this myself!
If you have an actual DROP of 1" at the front, I would that that is good. The rear axle of the vehicle is capable of carrying more added weight than the front, normally.

Check your tires capability...they are probably "XL" weight rated (extra load), and can carry up to 44 psi, cold. If so, that is where I would put at least the rear tires.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Yes, you are right about the 44 PSI. I am going to re-do Jeep measurements, as I probably was not that accurate on my gravel, rough driveway!
Another question for you, since you live in this area of Texas also.
Do you take your batteries out in winter, since you are in SA? or leave them in the AS on a trickle charger? I just bought one of those also! This learning curve can get me fustrated some days! Thanks for the help...Carol