Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Monroe , Louisiana
Smile Newbie, just acquired '52 Silver Streak Clipper project

Hi All, just wanted to introduce myself. I've just bought a '52 Silver Streak Clipper, it's roadable for short trips but gonna be a huge project for the next few years. I absolutely fell in love with those Buck Rogers eyes the first time I saw it.

I'll be on the Vintage Kin forum a lot for restoration advice and locating pieces and parts. First priority (after a couple of days of thorough cleaning inside and out) is sealing up windows and protecting it from further rain damage.

Eventually it's gonna need body-off frame restoration, and a lot of dent work, but I think it'll be OK for short local camping trips in the meantime.

I'm already looking for a Hehr Standard Window complete frame (1 upper, 1 lower, approx 18"x31" wall opening), doesn't need glass or seals, of course, to replace an A/C someone installed years ago. Yeah, I know, good luck with that, but if anyone knows of one....but no rush.

Also, more immediately, advice on repair/restore the main Buck Rogers windows front and back. From what I can read, the originals were plexiglass, I'm assuming a more modern plastic such as polycarbonate or Lexan is good? More important, I need advice on the exterior aluminum framing channel, which is broken badly and missing six inches or so on one window. Is there any source for the original channeling, or has anyone found someone who can fabricate new replacements, or am I on my own??

Nuff for now, hi to y'all again, I'm from Louisiana, moving to Austin, Texas in a year or so. Hope to meet up with some of you in the neighborhood one weekend or another!

- Bill
whawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Bill and it sounds like you've been infected with aluminitus too. The Clipper's are cool trailers and its funny you're bringing up the front and read windows as i was just discussing this with my neighbor, who has a '50, and another owner, who has a '52 and is having the same concern with her windows. I took pictures of my neighbor's solution using fabricated 1/4" aluminum angle with 1/8" plexi or lexan, he couldn't remember. He had a guy work on it 10 years ago or so and he bent the aluminum angle around the exterior window frame after the pane was in place. He used stainless screws to hold it in place. There is a seam at the very top and bottom of the window frame that he covered with another piece of the angled aluminum. Here's a couple of pix. Hope this helps.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowFrame2sm.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	144420   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowFrame3sm.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	144421  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Monroe , Louisiana
Hi Brad, thanks for the reply! I'll wait a few days to see if any suggests a source for oem or a salvage channel. If not, I'll start looking at your solution, it looks pretty good on the trailer. I'll probably move this conversation to the Vintage Kin forum, but one last question, do you know how they sealed the new windows in? Is there a gasket of some sort, or did they just use some kind of caulk or silicone sealer?

Thanks for your help!
whawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry Bill, I don't know what was used but I can ask the owner and see if he knows or remembers. I usually run into him every couple of days or so.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Airstream used an aluminum pipe bent to the shape of the window and screwed in. I have a 1950 FC. On my window, I formed my "window holder" out of aluminum extrusion. It took a lot of clamps. Brad, can you post complete pictures of the windows? I am always looking for a possible better solution.

For the gasket, I used the this gasket from VTS. The pipe or extrusion holds the window tight against this gasket.

Use Lexan. You can cut it without too much issue. Plexi is tough to cut without it cracking.

Gene
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clipper windows, hehr