Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Newbie, here is my plan

Hi all, nice site. Years ago I clipped an ad from a magazine, 1971 mag. The ad was for Chrysler T&C a man named Mr. Jamensin was looking for a good car to tow with, the trailer in tow was an Airstream. I am, by fault of the Dukes of Hazzard, a Mopar man. I have only owned such, including a recent (March 09) 1969 Chrysler T&C, a good resto canadite, needs alot but only 84k on her when I got it. I have a 69 Charger as well, and have put 50K on it in 8 years, so I wanted another car, for fun, that might relieve the Charger from so much milage. I grew up in the back seat of a wagon, so the T&C was an easy choice. Now, with a great tow vehicle, the pursuit of a good trailer is in order. I am staying vintage, looking for 68-72, wanting 25ish foot (you can find a 31 so easy!) I have stumbled across a 72 Tradewinds, in nice shape, for $5000. What can you all tell me about this trailer berfore I buy it? The trailer only has a few dents, two up high on the rear, and it has a dark finished wood inside, I would like to know when they changed to dark, because I see a 1969 ad, and it seems light, almost cherry like. Well, more info on me to come, ask questions and give me some advise to get started. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Hi all, nice site. Years ago I clipped an ad from a magazine, 1971 mag. The ad was for Chrysler T&C a man named Mr. Jamensin was looking for a good car to tow with, the trailer in tow was an Airstream. I am, by fault of the Dukes of Hazzard, a Mopar man. I have only owned such, including a recent (March 09) 1969 Chrysler T&C, a good resto canadite, needs alot but only 84k on her when I got it. I have a 69 Charger as well, and have put 50K on it in 8 years, so I wanted another car, for fun, that might relieve the Charger from so much milage. I grew up in the back seat of a wagon, so the T&C was an easy choice. Now, with a great tow vehicle, the pursuit of a good trailer is in order. I am staying vintage, looking for 68-72, wanting 25ish foot (you can find a 31 so easy!) I have stumbled across a 72 Tradewinds, in nice shape, for $5000. What can you all tell me about this trailer berfore I buy it? The trailer only has a few dents, two up high on the rear, and it has a dark finished wood inside, I would like to know when they changed to dark, because I see a 1969 ad, and it seems light, almost cherry like. Well, more info on me to come, ask questions and give me some advise to get started. MPJ
MPJ,

Check out the pictures on this site: Vintage Airstream Home

Also the FAQ section.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome MoJo,

Pulling a vintage trailer with a vintage vehicle can make for a very attractive package and the Mopar should be up to the challenge.

As for the 72 TW...representative photographs would help tremendously.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Might be a good price, might be a bad price. There are many issues on vintage trailers that effect the value ( notice I didn't say price). If it has no floor rot, and I would be surprised if it doesn't have some, if all the appliances work, if the air conditioner works, if the axles are still good, if the plumbing isn't leaking, if the black tank galvanized box isn't rusted and on and on. As you can see, there are a lot of factors to consider. Best to have someone who knows older Airstreams look at it with you. Then you can negotiate from a position of knowledge.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
'69 was a transition year; they had the "70's" body style, but still had "60's" interiors. (i.e. real wood). The 72 isn't wood; its fake-wood laminate simulated wood-grain whatchamacallit.
Hold up good, though. except for the tambour doors.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Welcome to the AS forums and good luck and success. I second the option of taking someone who knows AS with you and don't make your call the first time, wait awhile before you say "I'll take it". jjustce
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Ok, lots to ponder/take in. Aside from the floor rot, which I was aware of, checked for, and do not think this one has, and the axel upgrade, which I did not knopw about, makes sense, and may be costly, I still like the overall idea of this model/trailer. Belive it or not the real wood vs "fake" has more sway to methan the mechanicals. I looked at the link wkerfoot provided, and the 69-71 interiors are lighter/nicer in my opinion (just a preferance) I will give this more thought, and consider holding out for a 69-71 Tradewind. MPJ
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Ok, lots to ponder/take in. Aside from the floor rot, which I was aware of, checked for, and do not think this one has, and the axel upgrade, which I did not knopw about, makes sense, and may be costly, I still like the overall idea of this model/trailer. Belive it or not the real wood vs "fake" has more sway to methan the mechanicals. I looked at the link wkerfoot provided, and the 69-71 interiors are lighter/nicer in my opinion (just a preferance) I will give this more thought, and consider holding out for a 69-71 Tradewind. MPJ
MPJ,

While you're making notes. One thing to consider on the 69's is that this was the first year with "Wing Windows" outboard of the front window. The 69 style differs from 1970 on in that they have 3 right angle corners (as opposed to 2) which makes them very hard to find should one be broken, or missing. I heard someone recently describe them as being made from un-obtainium.

Just food for thought as you continue your search.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Well, I think I have made the decision to buy the 72 Tradewind, after I re-check the floor and ask about the axles, I will probably buy it. I don't belive I will easily find a trailer this original/clean for the money. I also belive worst case I could sell it and make some money, not loose if it turns out to be too much/ not my thing. I will let you all know what happens, and bring pics to share if a purchase happens, then a detailed thread on cleaning and road worthiness will be started. One quick question, and please don't beat me up too bad. My 1998 Dodge Ram, which I do not have electric brakes on, would be used to tow it home. Can I do the hour trip without them, or is it out of the question? Brakes on the Ram are completetly new. Thanks , a soon to be Airstreamer!!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
If your truck had the "tow package" from the factory, it is very easy to install a brake controller.
I had mine fail once (2000 ram/73 safari, so, very similar setup) and I managed to limp home ok, but it wasn't a comfortable trip.

Go to inlandrv's website, and check out the axle pages...you'll see how to spot a bad axle. This trailer more likely than not will need new ones. maybe you can print out some of it, show it to the owner, and talk him down a few bucks.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
My 1998 Dodge Ram, which I do not have electric brakes on, would be used to tow it home. Can I do the hour trip without them, or is it out of the question? Brakes on the Ram are completetly new. Thanks , a soon to be Airstreamer!!
You may be able to but you probably won't be legal. The TW comes in at 4,000 pounds plus. NJMVC requires operating brakes on trailers having a GVWR (with any load) greater than 3,000 pounds or in cases where the trailer GVWR is 40 percent or more of the TV's gross weight.

Installing a controller very easy if your Ram is already wired. More difficult if it's not. Our Ford wasn't and it took me a couple of hours.

Good Luck,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
going for it!

Well, I decided to go for it! I have got the money aside, the tow home vehicle lined up, even plates. Sunday is the magic day I become an Airstreamer. I hope to pick it up beteween 10 and 11, and have it home early afternoon. I have to get some pics taken and get them up here, so you can see my starting point. 1972 Tradwind Land Yatch, 25', power tounge jack-works, dual almn. 30 pnd LP tanks, OPD valves, new refrig/freezer, working A/C, water pump works, lights good, need to check stove and oven for myself, original inside except fridge (wish I could switch back) bath looks nice, hopefully will clean up even nicer, new tires, and probably will need axels.
The clean up plan, wash whole outside of trailer, scrub everything, wash windows, vents, awnings (BTW full awnings in blue stripe, almost new looking, too bad I like green and tans, gona switch em out someday) Interior- vacummn, wash, scrub, polish, windows, cutrtains/window shades CAN I WASH THEM? , make sure all works.
Questions, do the twin beds in the center suposed to have backrests so the can be used as benches?
what color schemes would the patterns on the benches be/ just for reference!
what is the best product to use on the "wood" lamanate to make it clean "shine"
There is a large "Airstream" logoed mirror on the wall next to the oven, can this be original, mounted there?
the trailer has a drivers side turn signal indicator on the side 1/2 way back, if it does not work, what bulbs does it take? and how hard is it to fix/make work?
are the roof vent fans suposed to turn on automatically?

Well. guess thats it til Sunday night, keep me in your thoughts, can't wait to share my new adventure, make new friends, and come to a ralley
John
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Do get a brake controller, they are cheap and you need one anyway. Can be installed and wired in an hour.

Take someone with you as a spotter for parking. It is VERY easy to hit something if you are not used to towing and a dented Airstream is a heartbreaker.

Make wide turns. Go slow and take it easy especially if the tires and axles are questionable. Tires blow easy and can do a lot of body damage, if they are over 5 years old or cracked replace them before you go anyplace if you want to be safe.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Questions, do the twin beds in the center suposed to have backrests so the can be used as benches?
no
Quote:
what is the best product to use on the "wood" lamanate to make it clean "shine"
windex
Quote:
There is a large "Airstream" logoed mirror on the wall next to the oven, can this be original, mounted there?
not likely
Quote:
the trailer has a drivers side turn signal indicator on the side 1/2 way back, if it does not work, what bulbs does it take? and how hard is it to fix/make work?
They aren't electric bulbs; these are just the shiny ends of fiber-optic cables (basically, a flexible glass tube) that run from the light cans to those little indicator thingies. hard to fix, I would imagine. But, sometimes, if they're just dim, its because the other end is just gunked up with dirt. if you take the lenses off the tail lights, you'll see the other end fitted into the cans. (When the bulbs light or flash, the light shines into this lens, and is transmitted to the indicators.) wipe the dirt off, and you may find improvement.
Quote:
are the roof vent fans suposed to turn on automatically?
not if they're original. There are aftermarket vent fans that are thermostatically controlled, and even have rain sensors so they'll close automatically if it starts to rain.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Thanks Chuck, got the brake controller, tires are new, got a spotter too! slow, not my speed, but maybe just this once.....getting very exceited here! MPJ
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks Chuck, got the brake controller, tires are new, got a spotter too! slow, not my speed, but maybe just this once.....getting very exceited here! MPJ

Ah... that "towing my first Airstream for the first time" feeling! Nothing in the world like it... except maybe having sex for the first time...

Bet you can't sleep the night before. Of course there are a couple of things you can do to help that

Have a safe happy trip home. Paula
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I'm relieved to hear you are well prepared. Have a safe journey, and many happy trips.