Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Newbie from UK - heading to the US next week! :)

Hi all

My name is Jim, I am a British guy, soon to marry an American girl I met in Germany a few years ago.. We have been dreaming about road tripping around the south for years now and next week the fun finally begins!

We fly out to Orlando where we will hunt down a nice fixer upper, and I will spend a month or so renovating it before we head off around the US for several months!

We both work online so are lucky enough to have this opportunity so figure we should do it before we have kids! Additionally we are launching a web site & app called Roadtrippers which will help people plan routes and find new places and people much better than any of the current tools available - we hope!

I think I will be spending a lot of time in here over the coming weeks, trawling through some of the excellent posts and no doubt picking some of your brains especially when it comes to renovating an Airstream.. I'm really looking forward to the challenge though!

If anyone knows of any fixer uppers in FL/GA I would really appreciate if you would let me know, similarly if anybody knows where I could rent a bit of space for a few weeks to renovate my Airstream (preferably an existing workshop)

Thanks!!

Jim
roadtrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Saint Simons Island , Georgia
Welcome Brit!

Hi Jim,

I am also new to this community but am glad to find a Brit to chat with!
My husband is in construction and from London. Getting us into an Airstream full-time is my dream and he is considering it reluctantly. I would like to get you two together once you land. (We are in coastal Georgia and also looking for a unit to rehab over the next 12 months.)

I have a tentative lead to a workshop in Jacksonville where a man who used to live here has a business converting Airstreams to food trucks. I have not met him but we have a mutual acquaintance. I'll send more info as I get it.

My next door neighbor has a gutted 18' Airstream he is dying to sell. We think its a little small for us plus we lack experience in rehabbing. That trailer is on a property with rental apartments - not sure whether they are available or not. Interested?
amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Hi Jim. Welcome to the US and to the group. You have quite an adventure in store for you.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Hi Jim,

A couple of thoughts:

Finding a unit in Florida is not all that easy. They don't seem to be very numerous here, except as transients in the winter. But, you may get lucky. There is a huge dealership between Tampa and St Pete but they focus on new rather than used. The only other dealership is in Alachua (just north of Gainesville) but I've never seen a used unit on their lot.

When you do find one, and if it is towable, you might want to head north before finding a workspace (unless you can find an air-conditioned space) -- Florida (especially Central Florida) is just god-awful hot in the summer. You can also expect daily thunderstorms in the afternoon.

I've lived here most of my life and I am here to tell you that the heat and humidity here can drain you of the very will to live much less rehab an Airstream. Let's not mention mosquitoes, "no see-ums", sand fleas...

Just some random thoughts...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Hi everybody, thanks for getting back to me

@amuse We will be coming up to Savannah pretty quickly so we could meet for sure! I should have an Airstream in tow by then!

I think the 18ft one is a little small for me but thanks for thinking of it. I will probably look for something like a 25ft, and probably not a gutted one.. not quite sure yet. I am probably not going to go too crazy on the renovations - will just do about 3/4 weeks and $5-6k of work..

@n2916s

A friend suggested Bates RV near Orlando, I checked out their website and they have an amazing selection but like you say, a focus on new ones. Ideally I would buy a new or nearly new one but I expect the financing would be a problem being a Brit just arriving on US shores, so very little credit history over there..

I have had a bit of a look on Craigslist (seems thats where they are cheapest) and it looks like there are more in FL than any other southern state - at least from that source, and at this moment in time.

Good thinking about heading north before doing work! I'm going to be there from next week, do you think it will be stinking hot by then?

sand fleas.. ugh...
roadtrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would suggest looking at the Airstream campgounds. There is a list of them on the WBCCI website. I was at the Top of Georgia campground this morning and there are several trailers there with for sale signs in the window. You may have the best luck simply by calling the campgrounds and asking if they know of any. There is also the classified section of this website which has a lot of nice trailers.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

@ Jim
Can't post my email link but its amuse50 at yahoo- get in touch and I'll send my cell number.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Jim - what do you figure you can do in that much time/money on a rehab?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Jim,

You asked -- today in Miami a mere 86 degrees and about 92% humidity. In a month it will usually be over 90 by 1000 hrs with humidity in the 90's as well. And, we get a sea breeze!

In Orlando (well, pretty much anywhere in the middle of the state) no breeze, high 90's. Yuck.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey there Brittish folk!

Just edited my post because I had a brain-fart and suggested that I might be interested in selling my girl.

Remember that most of the trailers around here are not commonly stored inside. So, there is good chance of leaks and the issues resulting from such - as we have an awful lot of rain!!! Make sure you copy the inspeciton checklist, cost approximator form and insurance/roadside assistance threads on this site. (In addition to those about updating axles, wood rot, rear end sag, leaks, univolt, pigtail connector, etc.)

If I can be of any help to either of you, please let me know. I have a general understanding of some vintage unit issues and of the surrounding area of Central FL.

Roadtrippers - there are two Airstreams that have been sitting in a field near Bithlo (on US Hwy 50 -- near Orlando Speedworld). They have been sitting for a REALLY long time. They are located very close to the Christmas Trailer Park (near Fort Christmas, FL) which used to be an Airstream exclusive park. There are likely some A/S in that park for sale too.

If you are in town for a shuttle launch (April 29 and final one on June 28), give me a shout - might be having a little A/S rally closeby.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrippers View Post
Hi everybody, thanks for getting back to me
@amuse We will be coming up to Savannah pretty quickly so we could meet for sure! I should have an Airstream in tow by then!
I think the 18ft one is a little small for me but thanks for thinking of it. I will probably look for something like a 25ft, and probably not a gutted one.. not quite sure yet. I am probably not going to go too crazy on the renovations - will just do about 3/4 weeks and $5-6k of work..
@n2916s
A friend suggested Bates RV near Orlando, I checked out their website and they have an amazing selection but like you say, a focus on new ones. Ideally I would buy a new or nearly new one but I expect the financing would be a problem being a Brit just arriving on US shores, so very little credit history over there..

I have had a bit of a look on Craigslist (seems thats where they are cheapest) and it looks like there are more in FL than any other southern state - at least from that source, and at this moment in time.
Good thinking about heading north before doing work! I'm going to be there from next week, do you think it will be stinking hot by then?
sand fleas.. ugh...
I can't wait to follow this thread....
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Great advice about calling around the parks, a very good idea, I am going to do that.

I have found a good value storage place near Ocala (where we will be based) that will also let me work on the Airstream there (although there is no power) so I have just filled up a crate with battery tools and am shipping them out for £120 airmail via excessbaggage.com - a bargain I thought! Yes it will be very hot and sweaty but I guess thats just tough luck to me! The end result will be worth it I hope anyway

@amuse, to be honest I don't know how much of a rehab I can do with that time/money until I know what the base condition of the unit I purchase is like.. I am just going to have to wing it

@Laura I will definitely be going to see the April launch and would love to come to any kind of rally! - although I don't know what I will be towing if anything!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Hi Jim

Welcome to another Brit escaping London, when I left London for Canada I brought an Experian credit report with me and had no problem getting a mortgage etc straight off the bat when I arrived. Just a thought. Good luck with your venture.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Good thinking Truckasaurus (nice name) I will get that sent over just in case it is any use..

I am just doing some research today, and am wondering if anybody knows of some good flea markets (esp. any giant ones!) or secondhand stores around the Orlando or Ocala areas? I'm not really sure what I am looking for, just bits and bobs for the Airstream or some ideas/inspiration..

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I think there is a giant one down in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Here's a listing for some in the Orlanod area - seems that so many of them nowadays are just retail shops inside. I haven't been to any of these so I can't attest to their *quality*.
Flea Markets in Orlando

There is a really nice & big antique market in Mt. Dora called Renningers - fairly closeby - they have an even bigger Extravaganza three times a year (Jan/Feb/Nov).
Renningers Florida Mt. Dora, Antiques and flea market

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
london , London
Brill, thanks Laura, I will definitely check some of those out