Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Columbia , South Carolina
Newbie from South Carolina

Hi!

My husband and I are looking for a confortable weekend home for the next 5-10 years. We've just started looking for a used Airstream and are going to be looking for advice on modifcations (twin beds to one bed), tow options (we don't have a tow vehicle and are hoping to borrow from a friend or rent to move the trailer to its new home), maintenance, etc. We've never owned a trailer before and my husband hasn't been at all impressed with typical trailer quality and comfort so we're jumping in head first. I'll probably spend quite a bit of time searching before posting any questons but you might see threads related to the topics above in the near future. Thanks!

Brenda
brenda02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Have fun. I've seen lots of newbies (or newly found Airstreams) down in your neck of the woods. I think you'll have lots of nearby Forum neighbors to help you out.

Vintage Airstreams are a continuous project, but if you like projects, you can't help loving this one.

Zep
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
window shopping

Welcome and happy hunting. Not sure if you could get away or not but there is a forums rally April 20-22 in Hiawassee GA (GA Mtn. Fairgrounds, about 35 miles from the SC border) As it stands right now there are 30 + trailers scheduled to attend from the 1960's through last years model. Great people and a great way to window shop to narrow your search. The Open house (a time to walk through the trailers) is scheduled for Saturday the 21 at 2:00 followed that night with a pig roast and Music jam. There is a couple of hotels close by if you wanted to spend the night. I have included a link to the conversation about the rally. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/april-20-22-rally-springstream-n-ga-29042.html
Feel free to PM me or leave questions here if I can be of any help.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Thanks to both of you for the replies! We'd love to come down to the rally but I think we'll be in Chicago that weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for us - we've got a lead on a 1994 Excella that we are really hoping will come through for us. We'll know by the weekend! I never thought I'd get this excited...and Im so nervous since we've never had a trailer and I've heard so many horror stories (fron non-Airstream owners - granted) I know there will be much to learn ahead of us.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
And its done...

We are now the proud (and scared) owners of a 1994 Excella! Kyle had it delivered to its new home friday afternoon and we spend the first two nights there this weekend. As I mentioned before, neither of us knows much about trailers and neither of us is particularly handy so we have a long ways to go in getting comfortable with all of the systems and minor repairs that we'll eventually need. Luckily, some friends showed us how to get the furnace started so that we could have heat on our second night!

What a beautiful new weekend home! We are in awe!
Brenda
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wow , 10 days from your first post to brand new owners - must be a record somewhere. Congrats, hope you get lots of fun from your new Airstream. Welcome to the forums.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
congratulations on your new airstream! that is a great unit and you will start with the best. as others will doublessly say, pictures, we want pictures! of course, as the proud new owners you will want to get lots of pictures. we just want you to share them with us. also, information about your new trailer. what is the layout, etc. happy airstreaming!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote